Origin of the word "slubby"

mizanation

Slubby is a term used in the textile industry. It's been there a long time.

I have a feeling that it comes from "Schlubby" which is Yiddish for being clumsy, stupid, imperfect, etc... A "schlub" is someone with these characteristics.

Or it could come from the word "Slobby" which is derived from Irish Gaelic. It means something similar to "Schlubby"--sovenly, crude, obnoxious, etc... A "slob" is someone with these characteristics.

Because of the long Jewish tradition in textiles, I'm leaning toward the "Schlub" theory.

Not a big deal, but something interesting for the etymologists out there.

WHOA! i think you are on to something, Miz!

Schlub may be a corruption of the word Schlemeil: Yiddish - A fool; clumsy inept person; i dunno, as i am not among the chosen.

FROM the interwebs:

TRANSITIVE VERB:Inflected forms: slubbed, slub·bing, slubs

To draw out and twist (a strand of silk or other textile fiber) in preparation for spinning. NOUN:1. A soft thick nub in yarn that is either an imperfection or purposely set for a desired effect. 2. A slightly twisted roll of fiber, as of silk or cotton. ETYMOLOGY:Origin unknown.

It's first recorded use was in 1834.

i am not one of the chosen either, but i have a lot of friends who are. :-)

"schlub" actually comes from a polish word meaning the same thing.

Schlub may be a corruption of the word

Schlemeil: Yiddish - A fool; clumsy inept person; dunno, not among the chosen.

i like your take, but i think slubbing was just part of the yarn spinning process...

FROM the interwebs:

TRANSITIVE VERB:Inflected forms: slubbed, slub·bing, slubs

To draw out and twist (a strand of silk or other textile fiber) in preparation for spinning. NOUN:1. A soft thick nub in yarn that is either an imperfection or purposely set for a desired effect. 2. A slightly twisted roll of fiber, as of silk or cotton. ETYMOLOGY:Origin unknown.

It's first recorded use was in 1834.

WHOA! i think you are on to something, Miz------check it:

slubber

v.t. stain, sully; do carelessly. slubberdegullion, n. archaic, slovenly person.

• 2 weeks later...