Favorite books

airfrogusmc

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks tip & fuuma.

Fuuma - do you read french text? I really ought to work on my french, id love to re-read some Camus. Sadly its one of those things I just never get round to applying myself to.

I read Boris Vian 'I spit on your graves" ( shit it was a terrible translation, he and a mate did it themselves... ) i think the concept and the action of producing the book are more interesting than the actual read itself. I also finished Dorian Gray, did I mention that before? Its very good, shame I spent the first 150 pages despising Wildes writing style.

Now im onto Dostoevsky ( someone told me where to start with him a year or two ago on SuFu ) finally, Notes from the Underground. So thats my story book for now.

In the post are Jacques Ranciere "Hatred of Democracy", im unsure about the content but the last one of his I read really gave me some interesting notions and concepts to mull over. Also - "Jihad : The trail of political islam" by Kepler is in the post.... hes was the most interstingly fluent speaker in Curtis's docu's ive been watching....... speaking of..... ive been watching another series of his 'pandoras box'..... has really made me feel interested in The bolshevics and lenin, stalin and all the technocrats etc

I like Paul Bowles, Umberto Eco, James Joyce, Octave Mirbeau, Kant, Kierkagaard, Heidegger, Tanizaki, Agatha Christie, Joseph Conrad, and some others I can't recall.

The only Hemingway book I've particularly liked was The Sun Also Rises.

right now:

TAZ - hakim bey

dubliners - james joyce

the conference of birds - farid ud-din attar

the architecture of happiness - alain de botton

beyond good and evil - friedrich nietzsche

the prophet - khalil gibran

YESSSSSSS!!!

Microserfs = the best fucking book

I second that. Bought it twice and twice a friend borrowed it and never returned. Reading Jpod now.

Also like Raymond Carver and Italo Calvino.

right now:

TAZ - hakim bey

dubliners - james joyce

the conference of birds - farid ud-din attar

the architecture of happiness - alain de botton

beyond good and evil - friedrich nietzsche

the prophet - khalil gibran

oh man beyond good and evil is such an epic masterpiece.

I'm reading "Children Of Men" by P.D. James.

Alfonso Cuaron is one of my fav directors, loved the movie, so I figured I'd check the book. Wayyyy different, but it's amazing so far.

P.D. James is known for her mysteries, this is like the only novel of this type she's written, back in '93, but it's incredibly relevent. recommended.

i wonder, too. i only read "the road"

a coworker lent me "no country..." but i didn't get around to it

i have "all the pretty horses" at home, but i don't know if i would like anything else but post-apocalypic mccarthy

All the Pretty Horses is definitely worth reading, although it's nowhere near as dark or deterministic as the The Crossing and Cities of the Plain. It was the only part of the Border Trilogy that I enjoyed rather than endured though.

most anything by Bret Easton Ellis (American Psycho, Glamorama)

+1

Big Ellis fan, as well as A. Burroughs.

It seems like I don't have the time or the patience to read as much as I'd like to.

Not sure you guys' will ike any of these seeing how most of the postes up here are "classics" an dI'm into more modern novels, so here goes:

Perdido St. Station - China Melville

VURT - or anything else by Jeff Noon

Kite Runner

Enders Game

Battle Royale

Wraeththu

The Golden Gompass - get a littel god-ly as the series goes on though...

good looks vit, they were the gateway philosophers to nietzsche.

i'd also recommend reading some of richard wagner's pieces.

well..gateway only in that he needed philosophers before him for the purpose of being critical of them. most people either don't catch or forget that nietzsche's "project" was extremely loose and took from no one -

anything by jack kerouac

to kill a mocking bird, harper lee

jurassic park, micheal crichton

the birth of tragedy, neitzsche

and i just finished "sex, drugs and cocoa puffs" by chuck klosterman, it was realllllly good

to kill a mockingbird is right on point.

the unbearable lightness of being - milan kundera

tuesdays with morrie - mitch albom

the rule of four - jim caldwell ( i think)

freakonomics - steven levitt

fast food nation - eric schlosser

the game - neil strauss

mystery method - mystery

and anything by edgar allen poe.

Guest StuckOnStupid
been wanting to check out some of this work... one of my favourite Esquire writers.

i find this dude to be a smarmy irritating nerd cocksucker. but then again, i am an idiot.

...Confessions of an English Opuim Eater - De Quincey...Damn if that book dosen't inspire you to develop a good habit...Mind you need a bloody encyclopedia to skate through the references, but all that learning will do you good once you've developed that habit...And once you'e developed it get yourself into re-possessed - the julian cope story...That should clean you up no end...