most overrated denim brands (v.2)

startmeup

Just to piss people off:

Pure Blue Japan

45rpm

Your sentiment regarding the latter has been expressed here. The former, not so much.

I don't really hate those brands. Hell I haven't even seen them. I just hate when things are accepted as fact and when you speak out you get shot down not for your reasons, but because you don't accept the same "truths" as the majority (superfuturians). It is like hating Led Zepplin. I don't particularly like the band and they are okay, but I hate the band, because so many people are like, "You don't like Zep? Dude they are only the best rock band ever." As if it is a fact.

Not that I have been shot down on the 45rpms or Pure Blue's. It just gets gross sometimes. I also like seeing people get their panties in a bunch.

it's too easy to list the obvious ones here: rmc, evisu eu, true religion, etc.

i have mixed feelings on pure blue japan and 45rpm

while the quality and construction jumps significantly between a $120 pair of APCs and a $200 pair of eternals, i don't see a giant leap from the $200 eternals to the $500 pure blues.

economics of scale, i suppose.

didn't the original nod to pbj come from ring-ring w/regard to better or equivalent denim quality (plus a bit more of a modern fit) to 45rpm for reasonable money? he was talking about the X-003's, if i remember correctly.

the crazy hype was regarding the $500+ A-001's. that came out of nowhere...

I feel the 300 dollar jump must be justifiable from their point of view, regarding the production cost. If they can charge relatively little for a jean like the XX-003, they wouldn't overprice the AI-001, I think. Other jeans on the same category as the AI-001, namely that Samurai and that Burgus Plus models, cost the same or more. If we're talking about being overrated in Supertalk it's one thing, if we're talking about being overrated in the general population it's another.

i didn't mean to imply that pbj was overpricing the AI-001's. they're natural indigo, the denim looks unique, and i bet the production run was very small. maybe they're actually a value compared to other jeans with those characteristics (like the high-end 45 rpms). however, that's some esoteric stuff, and i think hard to really appreciate to the tune of an extra $300 or so even for the more knowlegeable people on sf.

Yeah, I think it is the price jumps that really get me. I can fathom $300 for a pair of samurais, SDA's etc, but $600 or so for a pair of Jomons. I don't think so, but once again I ain't ever seen the jeans and maybe I will grow a stiff hard one when I finally do.

If the arguement lies behind the price of a pair, then I won't debate that the Jomons and the AI-001s are overrated. But the sheer quality of these jeans will make denimheads (w/ purchasing power) contemplate in buying them.

I have not seen the Jomons but I heard of their legendary quality. I bought the AI-001 after seeing them in person and I was struck in awe as to how they made them. From the indigo used, the cut/fit, and the overall workmanship is superb.

So, price wise, I can't deny they might be overrated for others. But for the few who recognizes the work done on them will realize it merits the extra $$$.