usa :: san diego :: general

shwanger

Didn't see a san diego thread and figured more than a few of you live in the area. I'll be there this wknd so it's not a long stay, but would like some recommendations. I suspect Mexican is next level compared to Boston and beaches are beautiful, but I'd like to know beyond that. What I've seen mentioned are areas Gaslamp, Hillcrest, and Northside.

Places to eat, drink, shops, music, where the kids hang out. The obvious and more obscure, both appreciated.

• 7 months later...

if your going to be downtown check out neighborhood in gas lamp which is burgers and beers. their other spot craft and commerce in little italy has a good bar and decent grub and they will make some nice cocktails/mix drinks. downtown johnny browns usually has a good tap list (more so toward the weekend). el camino and el dorado seem to be the new hang out spots. avoid gas lamp night life unless you want to bro out.

San Diego's shopping selection is pretty shitty.

Pretty much the only things we have worth while are Barney's CO-OP (maybe not even this), and Blends. I wish the Comm was still here. But is there anything i'm missing? I think I saw a possible cool shop on Market st. near Blends but idk the name of it. Oh, and I guess sometimes you could find cool stuff at the Barney's Outlet in Carlsbad.

theres this dueling piano bar that I'm thinking of, it might be in gas lamp? it was pretty cool tho they played a modest mouse cover

i think this is shout house... supposed to be pretty cool. i don't do much downtown anymore. most of my drinking is done at obriens.

if your going to be downtown check out neighborhood in gas lamp which is burgers and beers. their other spot craft and commerce in little italy has a good bar and decent grub and they will make some nice cocktails/mix drinks. downtown johnny browns usually has a good tap list (more so toward the weekend). el camino and el dorado seem to be the new hang out spots. avoid gas lamp night life unless you want to bro out.

any place like craft and commerce that's more slow-bar and less restaurant? i really just want some whiskeys, maybe a couple punch bowls, noble experiment seems too much of a fuss and anti-large-group. and i agree, no bro-bars. thanks.

can't believe it's raining this weekend.

not sure where your from.. but mixing socal drivers and rain sucks. 6-8 people would be fine for craft + commerce but since the weather is shitty you might want to avoid it since they'd stick you outside. small bar... hence the name is is tiny in size too but they have a few tables to accommodate larger groups unless this has changed.

rain seems like good soup weather, has anyone gone to the OB noodle house? heard they have a killer tap and decent grub.

I've got some friends who work at Craft and Commerce, I'm there all the time when I'm in San Diego.

Last time I was back I tried out a few places on Convoy (been meaning to expand from Tofu House and Dumpling Inn since they're getting harder and harder to get into, not that it hasn't already been for the past several years). Went by wa dining okan for lunch - good lunch special, very small but I came at a slightly off time so no wait. Really good, friendly wait staff. Sapporo on draft. Will have to go back for dinner sometime. Also hit up yokohama yakitori for dinner with some friends - struck me as a slightly above average yakitori place for san diego - asahi on draft, give you a shot of milk before you get anything to drink. If you like slightly more unusual parts they have some great specials - the chicken heart was my favorite of the bunch.

• 7 months later...

hi friends! I was wondering if anyone would be so kind as to help me out. I wanna buy some stuff off amazon that is currently region locked to the US and was just looking for someone to forward it to Australia! Please pm if you could help me out, would be greatly appreciated :)

• 4 months later...

Wsup SuFu,

Moved from LA to SD for school and I can't find any stores that carry Japanese selvedge. I'm looking for a pair of Iron Hearts but honestly any location that carries some quality jeans will do!

Anybody have some suggestions for stores I should hit up to satiate my denim fix?!

• 5 months later...

hi kuya,

Missus and I are spending the weekend in San Diego for our anniversary.

Recommend me a nice kewl place to take bz where we can sort-of dress up. We'll be staying in Gaslamp and will be in the La Jolla caves on one of the days. Preferably something unique and not ritzy lame basics American fare.

• 2 months later...