Opinions on Rollerblading

poly800rock

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way; here are a couple skating videos which I enjoy quite a lot. They're edited by a friend.

The second is a lot less competent than the first. I think the first has many examples of nice, flowing style. I can easily understand not liking a lot of people's skating styles, but saying that everything relating to rollerblading looks stupid, gay, fruity...

http://www.ihurtnow.com/micah/burner5.mov

http://www.ihurtnow.com/tyler/crush.mp4

im just thinking, wow, all of this because i posted a pair of skates, haha.

im just trying to defend a sport i love because i want people to respect it and not be so judgemental.

but whatever, yea i think this thread can end now.

Quote:

im just trying to defend a sport i love because i want people to respect it and not be so judgemental.

--- Original message by acekieffer on Jun 16, 2006 07:53 PM

man, don't get mad, thats just the way people are, they don't even understand why they hate something...

Quote:
Quote:

--- Original message by acekieffer on Jun 16, 2006 07:53 PM

man, don't get mad, thats just the way people are, they don't even understand why they hate something...

--- Original message by 6MT on Jun 16, 2006 09:14 PM

hate is the root of all evil.

Ace - it's really not hate, nothing personal, and not about the faddishness of hate or skate. I've just found, in my experience skateboarding for many years, that rollerbladers are annoying. I'm sure you kill it on your blades - I'm not going to hold that against you.

I was just having fun with it...my bad. I don't take it that seriously.

im sorry lads but skateboarders are grumpy old twats........i don't do any of these sports but all the skateboarders i have met think that the world owes them something....ya konw what i mean?

altho i do think skateboarding is more skilled....rollerblading is more mental the stuff they get up to is wild..

also to respond to some people in the recent purchases thread...

cheapmuthafukr- "the lack of skill it requires? how awkward it looks? the faddishness of it? wax on handrails? etc..........."

lack of skill? are you kidding? do you think it takes no skill to do stuff like this...come on.

i could post pics all day long...

awkward? maybe youve just seen people with bad style because if a rollerblader has good style, they can make everything look incredibly smooth and clean.

fad? please. youre saying skateboarding isnt a fad? every kid wants a new bam deck and an element shirt nowadays. how many people do you see wearing rollerblading clothes or carrying skates to be cool?

wax on handrails? sometimes you need things to slide. i guess wax isnt needed much when just tapping the ends of rails. i aint hating on skateboarding, just making a point. ive had skateboarders borrow my wax before at skateparks (to wax a rail), so they use it to.

doctorgnar - "The fact that you just used the term "extreme sport" shows that you have no fucking clue."

isnt that what skateboarding, biking and rollerblading are? extreme sports, X-games? you know what that "X" stands for dont you? yes, eXtreme.

ive been rollerblading for over half of my life, i know what im talking about.

enough ranting for now.

Ace

Edited by acekieffer on Jun 16, 2006 at 07:21 PM

ok... as far as skill... it is harder to do the same shit on a skateboard than it is to do it on a pair of blades. period. the shit is attached to your feet. all you do is jump on something, lock in, and ride.

all the bladers i have seen seem awkward compared to smooth skaters.

in regards to fads, the kids with the latest bam deck carring the shit to school are no better than bladers. for them it is a fad. ive been deep in this shit for almost 15 years. to me it is not a fad. i have a friend whos been doing it since the mid 70s. do you know anyone whos been blading since the mid 70s, and has tought thier son to do it? no.

wax? if you need wax on metal youre not going fast enough. end of story.

lastly, extreme is a fucking marketing term. if you use it you are a fucking tool.

I come from a surfing / skateboarding background so my love for the seven ply runs deep. I couldn't care less about rollerblading. My only opinion of the "sport" is that when compared to surfing or skating, which seem so fluid and buttery, rollerblading comes off as forced and mechanical. Something about the huge boots on your feet, and there not really being any finesse that I can see involved, bothers me. And I'm not just hating, if you ask me street riding BMX and motocross also come off as kooky to me. Even some snowboarding is a little sketch.

Whatever. In the end we're all pretty stupid for anything were into...

Do whatever you want man. If you enjoy rollerblading then good for you. I didn't pick it up just because it didn't appeal to me as a sport or pass time. If you only do something for the sake of being cool or avoiding something because everyone thinks it's uncool then you become powerless. And you don't want to go thru life being like that!

no way, fuck that

ha, i didnt think this thread was still going.

im sorry to hear that so many people dislike rollerblading. oh well.

what are you gonna do, right?

no sense in arguing about it, cause you will still hate the sport no matter what.

ok, you may think its awkward looking, but is that really a reason to hate on it?

cant you look at it postively? i enjoy watching skateboarding, and have no problems with it. as a rollerblader i could easily say lots of bad things about skateboarding but i dont, because i dont look at skateboarding from a rollerbladers perspective. i respect the sport and the people that do it. i just hate how nowadays its almost "the cool thing to do" for skateboarders to hate rollerbladers.

and just for the sake of arguing, even though im contradicting my last post...

YOU KEEP SAYING ROLLERBLADING TAKES NO SKILL. BUT YOU ARE JUST REFERRING TO THE BASICS. of course it seems easy because the skates are strapped on. and yes, its easy to jump. but it takes a while to learn to lock on and balance rails. the basics are easier and thats why rollerblades take things so much further. fakie 720s into grinds...900s down big stair sets...multiple story drop off rails and ledges...grinding off roofs. that stuff all takes ALOT of skill, in no way is it easy.

i am in no way saying skateboarding is easy because i used to skateboard and i know how hard stuff is.

i honestly think to do tricks on blades is alot harde, i mean when you jump for a rail or a ledge for instance, if don't land prroperly, you could easily get hurt, where as skate board you could always bail out in mid air, i mean you will still sustain the fall fall, but for some reason, eat it on a skateboard seem alot easier to take in for me...

and like the dude said, i neevr hate on any skate boarder, where as skate boarder just hate for the sake of "since every one else thinks it's lame, i better dislike it like every one else"