PBJ AI-001 compared to 45rpm Jomon

john11f

On the verge of another splurge...Does the AI-001 deserve its $500+ price tag? Do the Jomons have far superior quality to merit the $200++ premium over the PBJs?

I've seen the AI-001s in person and I must say they are very beautiful. Never saw Jomons though...

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

coldrice has both, so maybe he can chime in.

Also, don't count out the AI Samurai's either, they are also in that price range. I haven't seen them in real life, but if I were to do it again, I'd go with them solely because the PBJ inseam is cutting it rather close for me.

Edited by PG2G on Jun 15, 2006 at 07:39 PM

I really think you should examine the fit. Try them on and see, now that they're both available in the US. I know we all appreciate quality, but a few things:

1) the AI-001 Denim is insane. I don't think I could ever wear denim that flashy. IMO, wearing denim bumpier than the rocky mountains is more loud than wearing Nudie's flambouyant pocket stitching (but much preferred over True Religion's overly twisted, flared legs)

2) Neither of them are going to fade contrasty. I know this isn't what everyone wants, but I just thought I'd mention to thwart any confusion. They will never look aged in the same way Eternals, Nudies, APCs, etc. will

3) The fit. Seriously, try them on. Fit is still the most important thing about them, and even if the fit is "good" for one person, it doesn't mean that it's good for you.

gonna have to say it again

the AI samurai were the limited edition from 2005

sold out over a year ago

only 100 made

not part of their lineup

won't make them again

so you can't get them (unless someone has a pair they will sell)

maybe samurai will make a natural indigo jean in the future

but they won't be the S510XX-AI

think i have to agree with a lot of what ww says

esp #3

i have jomons, maybe the best jeans i have, and i realize this more and more the longer i have them

don't have pbj AI-001 but have tried them on and i think they're more interesting to look at than anything else

i like the pure blue xx-003 better as far as jeans go

I'm gonna have to disagree with ww's #1 :P I may be a bit biased because I actually bought the things though.

I think the texture gives the jeans a unique look, but its not really loud and its not really that noticeably unless you're checking them out. Here's a pic of me wearing mine, as an example.

http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/4278/pbj0015ql.jpg

They really don't stand out that much.

Edit: I'll probably be very disappointed if these end up looking like those terrible SDA with the equally slubby denim

Edited by PG2G on Jun 15, 2006 at 08:47 PM

On WW's comment #2. That's precisely the reason why I would want to have a PBJ AI-001. I think PG2G stated this before in one of the threads. The PBJs will give you a denim that will look good out of the box. While we are busy breaking in our 811s and SDAs, the PBJ will give an alternative denim if you like a pair you could use for less casual occassions.

I also don't agree that they are loud. With the fit and the fabric, you could only have praises for the makers. I am mesmerized by them.

I would love to see the Samurai AIs though to compare which of these natural indigo dyed jeans give the best appearance. The Jomons as well. But I have the Sorahikos and I like to cover as much ground as possible (hehehe).

very good thread. this is a great question actually.

i've seen both the jomons and the pure blues, but i have only tried on the jomons.

1) denim: in my personal opinion, the pure blues are absolutely awesome. even compared to the bs united ONI-02D, the denim is richer, more textured. this might not be your thing, but if you're looking for slubby, pure blues have got to be the king. the jomons have the unique 45 rpm crumpled look which is also nice--but you can probably obtain that with your pure blues by wetting them and letting them dry crumpled up. i'm not sure, but the pure blues seemed to be heavier denim, which is also a matter of taste.

2) fit: the jomons have a great fit. they are superb in this category. the fit looks good on an asian body type, i think they designed the jean with that in mind, so they fit me perfectly. i will be trying on the pure blues soon to compare. from what i've seen, i think the pb's will fit nicely as well, we shall see....

3) color: correct me if i'm wrong but the jomons are darker than the pb ai-001's right? that would be the only drawback for me...

based on these things, the next purchase i will make will be probably be the pb's. their denim is so unique. i would rather have the denim stand out than some back pocket designs. you cannot recreate that kind of texture, whereas anyone can copy an embroidery or painted design. further down the line, i might get the jomons, but i will most likely get the pb's first.

http://mizanation.blogspot.com

adam, do you have the samurai ai?

would you have any info on the s0500xx and how it will compare to these jeans in this thred? I understand that they are also limited. Lower price range though so I doubt if they're made of natural indigo. correct me if I'm wrong.

i got my S0500XX the other day and have been wearing them

they're fantastic in fit and texture but are completely different to the AI pure blues or the jomons

really rough "not nice" denim and the color is different as well, kind of inky

alongside the momotarou they're the top samurai's for me

i don't have the AI samurai but they do look great in pictures

the main reason i didn't get the pure blue AI is the stitching - as much as i like the quality of the denim i don't much care for the fat stitches. to me they're loud. the denim texture is a little on the loud side but no one would notice it. the stitching made me feel very self-conscious when i tried them on. much as the nudie stitching would make me feel self-conscious.

the pure blue xx-003 are much nicer as jeans to wear

if i needed another pair i'd get them before anyting else

and when blue in green gets them in i'll probably get a pair anyway

Just out of curiosity, am I the only one that looks at the pics of the Jomons and doesn't see anything special? I've been wanting to love them for a long time, but I don't even see a discernable difference between them and say... the Sorahiko's. At least as far as the denim is concerned.

Is it something more apparent when seen in person?

I agree regarding the stitching on the AI, on the inner leg at least. Its pretty thick :P I've gotten used to it though.

Edited by PG2G on Jun 15, 2006 at 10:07 PM

I've seen the xx-003 and it's similar to my oni denim in slubbiness. ai-001 is even slubbier and, together with the indigo used, is the best attraction for the jeans. i guess it's not for everyone but it's definitely unique.

if you don't like slubby denim, these ain't for you.

john, if you want slubby denim... pull the trigger. I don't think anything else will get close, unless you want to consider those... "interesting" faded studio d'artisans. Join the clan :)

Quote:

i got my S0500XX the other day and have been wearing them

they're fantastic in fit and texture but are completely different to the AI pure blues or the jomons

really rough "not nice" denim and the color is different as well, kind of inky

alongside the momotarou they're the top samurai's for me

i don't have the AI samurai but they do look great in pictures

the main reason i didn't get the pure blue AI is the stitching - as much as i like the quality of the denim i don't much care for the fat stitches. to me they're loud. the denim texture is a little on the loud side but no one would notice it. the stitching made me feel very self-conscious when i tried them on. much as the nudie stitching would make me feel self-conscious.

the pure blue xx-003 are much nicer as jeans to wear

if i needed another pair i'd get them before anyting else

and when blue in green gets them in i'll probably get a pair anyway

--- Original message by asfberg on Jun 15, 2006 09:58 PM

also, the S0500XX are synthetic indigo whereas the AI-001s and the jomons are natural.

http://mizanation.blogspot.com