Chainstitch in Philadelphia

poly800rock

no, don't. i've been thinking about this issue.

someone at MOORE College of Design probably has access to a chain-stitching machine, but i don't know anyone there anymore. maybe someone at VAGABOND has one, or knows someone who does??? or maybe the folks at RELOAD??? many questions, no answers.

i'd call up Matthew Izzo store-----they must deal with this issue daily.

EDIT: okay, talked to the Izzo store, they suggested TINAS NATURAL CLEANERS, where "all premium denim is hemmed" in Philadelphia, but upon calling said store, they said they do not chainstitch-----they were skeptical that i would find a dry cleaner that has a chain-stitching machine. they do the california hem.

sorry, charlie.

i'm out of ideas.

not in philly, but maybe R by 45rpm in NYC would do it?

Using chain stitch, your train of jeans is fading wind.

Edited by denimdestroyedmylife on Jun 9, 2006 at 09:52 AM

Edited by denimdestroyedmylife on Jun 9, 2006 at 10:02 AM

Edited by denimdestroyedmylife on Jun 9, 2006 at 10:03 AM

Quote:

no, don't. i've been thinking about this issue.

someone at MOORE College of Design probably has access to a chain-stitching machine, but i don't know anyone there anymore. maybe someone at VAGABOND has one, or knows someone who does??? or maybe the folks at RELOAD??? many questions, no answers.

i'd call up Matthew Izzo store-----they must deal with this issue daily.

EDIT: okay, talked to the Izzo store, they suggested TINAS NATURAL CLEANERS, where "all premium denim is hemmed" in Philadelphia, but upon calling said store, they said they do not chainstitch-----they were skeptical that i would find a dry cleaner that has a chain-stitching machine. they do the california hem.

sorry, charlie.

i'm out of ideas.

not in philly, but maybe R by 45rpm in NYC would do it?

--- Original message by denimdestroyedmylife on Jun 9, 2006 09:51 AM

what the heck is a california hem?

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZtriggerkid

I asked a bunch of places to no avail. I took my jeans to a tailor who said he could do it, but when I picked them up they were a regular lock-stitch. (I was not pleased)

DDML has the right idea when he says go to 45rpm in NYC. I had a day off and went up to the city and got my jean shops and SD-103s done up there and they did both in about 30 minutes while I waited. Sometimes they're backed up, but they said that they'd do them up and mail them to me if it was something that they couldn't get to that day. They even matched the thread color for both jeans (orange for the JS's and gold for the SD's... I specified that I didn't care so long as it wasn't white or something garish) and were incredibly friendly. Both dressing rooms were full so they let me try on my jeans in the office. It's $10 to get your jeans hemmed and not only can you try on some Jomons while you're waiting, but the APC store is right next door to the SoHo 45rpm store.

Quote:

Why are chainstitching machines so rare?

I'm gonna need my Bears x Eternal jeans chainstitch-hemmed. I guess my only option is to mail them to Denim Doctors in LA.

--- Original message by minya on Jun 9, 2006 02:43 PM

yeah, agree, but to give them the benefit of the doubt, I saw a few in tokyo and they really are amazing looking sewing machines...with real chains...ha!

Quote:

that's when they cut off the original hem, cut off the unwanted fabric and "invisibly" reattach the original. franken-hem. it messes up the way the jeans drape. bad idea. don't do it.

--- Original message by denimdestroyedmylife on Jun 9, 2006 12:22 PM

Hmm, can you elaborate please? I have seen several jeans hemmed with the original bottom reattached, and they dont look any different on or off to me. I ask because I would like some jeans hemmed and was going to go this route since I doubt there are any chainstitching places in the New Orleans area. Granted the jeans I saw hemmed are straight legs.

not for me, but look: http://www.superfuture.com/city/supertalk/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=9078

i can just TELL when jeans are franken-hemmed----the hem doesn't sit right------like fake breasts or hair plugs-----just unnatural.

Using chain stitch, your train of jeans is fading wind.

Ugh I should seriously just buy a damn chainstitch machine. I feel like it would pay for itself within a week judging by the business I'd get from people on this website... and I'm only 45 minutes from Philly.

Quote:

looks like i'll head up there soon then...wonder what i'll say when i bring in my jeans shop jeans to 45 RPM...they didnt care about the different brands you brought in?

--- Original message by poly800rock on Jun 9, 2006 02:09 PM

they say 45rpm denim comes free, but their denim lab does all sorts of custom work, alterations, etc. check out their US website.

EDIT: wait i meant 45rpm denim comes with free alteration. 45rpm denim certainly does not come free, and do we know it or what.

minya, you snagged those bears x eternal in the end? post up some lovely pictures when you can. please? icon_smile.gif

Edited by tweedlesinpink on Jun 12, 2006 at 06:20 AM

Quote:

not for me, but look: http://www.superfuture.com/city/supertalk/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=9078

i can just TELL when jeans are franken-hemmed----the hem doesn't sit right------like fake breasts or hair plugs-----just unnatural.

--- Original message by denimdestroyedmylife on Jun 11, 2006 08:14 PM

Thanks for the link. It has actually made me not worry about doing a "franken-hem" since, no offense, but I cant see a difference at all in those pictures. I have no idea what you are seeing that looks different from the normal bottoms. But yeah if I could find a chainstitch place then sure I'd get it done just cause it's the way it's supposed to be. Does anyone know of a chainstitching place in the New Orleans area that hasnt been destroyed by the hurricane?

Quote:

Ugh I should seriously just buy a damn chainstitch machine. I feel like it would pay for itself within a week judging by the business I'd get from people on this website... and I'm only 45 minutes from Philly.

--- Original message by Thorns on Jun 11, 2006 09:25 PM

do it, i dare you.