Give a denim noob some advice!

So, about 4 months ago, I bought my first pair of real jeans: Nudie Regular Ralf Dry Selvege. I've worn them at least 5 days a week, usually every day since then and have dry cleaned them once, due to a large sticky mess on the front of them. The dry cleaning actually gave them a pretty sweet look, so that's been fun.

Recently, my girlfriend bought me a pair of Crate James the Thirds. I'm in love with the color and may not ever end up washing these beauties. I had to buy some trunk briefs just so that I could fit into the damn things, as I am a boxer man. That was interesting.

So, here's the advice part. I'm very happy with these jeans right now and they're basically the only thing that covers my legs while I'm awake and not at work. I'm planning on wearing them every other day, so that they get a fair share of my fancy gams. Now, seeing as how I am still going through the initial work stages with these jeans, would you recommend adding any other pairs into the mix? I tried getting a pair of Atelier's, but they looked like I was wearing a bag instead of jeans. I was very sad, because I love the Atelier design. I've been eyeing APC's, as my local denim shop will be carrying them soon. As you can see, I still desire more, but don't know if it makes sense.

Please, tell me what to do! I'm young, impressionable and I love denim.

Quote:

It's always nice to meet the +1 geniuses on a new board.

Bonjour!

--- Original message by diewhitegirls on May 28, 2006 08:20 PM

Gee, let's see: you're asking "tell me what jeans to get" on a forum with quite possibly the largest concentration of denim information and knowledge you could possibly find (in English, at least).

Maybe you should do some research and reading (the sticky up above is a good start) before asking people to tell you what you should want.

Actually, if you were capable of comprehending simple English, I asked if it made sense to get more jeans, as opposed to asking what jeans should I get. So, read what I write before you try to make your dick look bigger by attacking the new guy, because you just look like a fucking idiot instead.

On another note, I have spent the past couple of weeks trolling around this forum before I made any posts and was asking a question which I would like an answer to.

Quote:

Are these super rare or is this an attainable goal?

--- Original message by diewhitegirls on May 28, 2006 08:25 PM

here in Stockholm they´re easily attainable, there are at least three shops that carry them here... dunno know about your city though...

Did you get near 2000 posts from annoying new people, or do you actually serve a purpose here? I'm asking if it makes sense to add a new pair of jeans to a mix where I am trying to break 2 new pairs in. It's a very simple question that does not require your dumbass sarcasm.

K? K.

he's a moderator and has to deal with questions like this everyday.

you can get another pair of jeans, but your wear on the other ones will go a lot slower. i would focus on the two you have now and read up on most of the jeans here and then decide on what you like. feel free to buy another pair if you want, but if you already have two pairs i'd wait a bit since you like the two pairs that you have.

i'd say wait and read a lot, research and then figure out what pair of jeans you'd like next.

I've racked up almost 2000 posts by moderating a forum (this one) where people ask questions like these that contribute nothing but clutter. Should I wash my jeans? Hey are my jeans ruined? Hey I washed my jeans at month 5 did I screw up?? Hey can I break my jeans in faster by sitting on the internet and posting about them?

And so on. This isn't a decision anyone can make for you. Read up and decide for yourself. End of story.

Quote:

he's a moderator and has to deal with questions like this everyday.

you can get another pair of jeans, but your wear on the other ones will go a lot slower. i would focus on the two you have now and read up on most of the jeans here and then decide on what you like. feel free to buy another pair if you want, but if you already have two pairs i'd wait a bit since you like the two pairs that you have.

i'd say wait and read a lot, research and then figure out what pair of jeans you'd like next.

--- Original message by obsessis on May 28, 2006 08:48 PM

Thank you. This is the exact answer I was looking for. It's even more appreciated because I didn't think I'd actually get an answer after this.

Minya, feel free to moderate away and save yourself the horrors of my bandwith. I apologize for having a valid question that is somehow impeding your ability to act like a normal human being.

I have spent alot of time reading about the proper way to wash them, the whens, the what-ifs and all those other little annoying questions so I could specifically avoid dealing with people like you, but alas, you found me anyway.

I'll go slink back into the shadows of lurking.

Quote: Thank you. This is the exact answer I was looking for. It's even more appreciated because I didn't think I'd actually get an answer after this.
Hahaha. All he told you was pure common sense. Oh God. It boggles the mind that some people even have to ask this shit.

i'm kind of thirsty guys should i get a drink??????????? or should i wait 6 months

Quote:
Quote: Thank you. This is the exact answer I was looking for. It's even more appreciated because I didn't think I'd actually get an answer after this.
Hahaha. All he told you was pure common sense. Oh God. It boggles the mind that some people even have to ask this shit.

i'm kind of thirsty guys should i get a drink??????????? or should i wait 6 months

--- Original message by minya on May 28, 2006 08:58 PM

Jesus Christ. If it was common sense, I wouldn't have asked the goddamn question. Unlike you, I am not posting here merely to get my post count up, I actually was seeking knowledge. Instead, I found the complete antithesis. Congratulations, you're an idiot.

Oh and in regards to your question, I would wait 6 months. Please.

okay here I'll answer your question:

You NEED (read: *NEED* -- as in CANNOT SURVIVE WITHOUT THEM) the following jeans:

Imperial Duke

Sugarcane 1947

LVC 1947 deadstock

Nudie Bootcut Ola

Nudie Straight Sven

45rpm Sorahiko

45rpm Jomon

Studio D'Artisan SD-101, SD-102, SD-103

Eternal 811

anyone care to add to this list?

if your happy with them then no, you dont need anymore. in my opinion, your not supposed to collect jeans like say records or headphones. you keep jeans and you live with those one jeans. in the end, the fades, creases, and stains will be like a journal during that period of time in which you wore the jeans. i know many members here buy a bunch of jeans at once, but i think that denim should be lived in one pair at a time.

Hahahaha this thread is funny.

please live in your two pairs first! when you sit in them awhile the itch to buy something else will subside and your jeans will love you the more for it. i try to limit myself to spending on something once every three months, so i try to stay faithful to one pair at a time. but that's just me.

anyway minya may be a bit caustic, but really if you feel like getting a pair just do it, if not, don't! APCs are a good choice because of their inexpensive quality.

Whether you need more jeans or not?

It depends on whether you can achieve all the looks which you dig and want to look like by wearing only two pairs of "real" reans you've got. Each hi-end denim brand has some own phylosophy behind it and would look best with clothes and shoes that fit well within the brand philosophy. Say, Nudie claims to be a rock-n-roll inspired brand and IMHO Nudies look best with vintage shoes and worn-out looking t-shirts. On the other hand, APC jeans reflect an austere design philosophy of its brand and they look best together with some clean-cut simple but hip clothes. The most discussed here Japanese brands are about creative reproduction of jeans from good old days and thus they are very universal and can be worn with basically anything, just like ordinary Levi's, but they are of much higher quality.

So, think of how you would like to look on different occasions and then you'll see if two pairs are enough for you, without getting into collecting denim.

Alien vs Predator, Freddie vs Jason, Nudie vs A.P.C.