Pure Blue XX-004

Here's the link: http://item.rakuten.co.jp/bears/syouaiya-xx004/

I haven't seen these mentioned on the board yet. They're slim bootcut, looks like a 517 style. In the pictures of the jeans, the flare looks more extreme than the 517, but on the models it looks about the same. If I ordered a pair of these and the flare was too extreme, would it be hard to have them altered to a straighter leg? I'm even tempted to order them and straighten the leg regadless. It looks like the flare in entirely on the inseam to preserve the selvedge, so maybe it would be an easy job. I like the narrow cut through the hips. Are these the same denim as the XX-003?

Edited by Sanctimonious Kid on May 18, 2006 at 09:37 AM

No, straightening the leg would be an easy job. You will lose the selvedge if the outseam isnt straight though.

I have been thinking of doing the same thing. Does anyone know if the outseam is straight or not? It looks like it on the picture to the right, but not on the picture to the left.

xx004.jpg

våran panel tycker att man ska koka pastan i två år

Guest jeffvyain

assuming it is selvedge denim, wouldn't the outseam have to be straight? Looks easy enough to me. It just scares me to buy jeans that expensive and then trust them in someone else's hands. And they look pretty flared here because the shot is from the hem side of the jeans.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone bought a pair of these yet? I don't really want to be the first, especially when I think I would have to have the flare reduced by a tailor. It's a little risky, you know? Also, to continue the tailoring discussion, if the outseam is straight and felled (as it appears to be on the xx-004s) that would mean that the inseam would be sown in a manner similar to a Levi's 501 (folded and sown somehow, it seems). So, my question is can a tailor take the flare in from the inseam and replicate the inseam stitching? I'm thinking that they could, but if anyone who has had this done is familiar with the procedure I would appreciate some more information.

Thing is, I don't want them straightened. I just may want the flare reduced a little, depending on how wide it is. Bears says the opening is about 20 inches--that's probably too much for me. The reason I asked about tailoring is because I love the way the denim looks and I want a pair of bootcut jeans. If I wasn't so sold on the PBJ denim I would just get the SDA sd-105s. So, does anyone know about the tailoring?

edit: the opening is about 10 inches, my mistake

Well, it's ~10.03 inches across--I don't know why I was thinking 20 inches, sorry about the confusion. Anyway, I have a pair of Levi's Skinners with the same size leg opening and I felt they were just too flared. I had the flare reduced, but the seamstress took the flare out of the outseam. It didn't make a difference to me with those jeans, but I would like to preserve the selvage on the PBJs if possible.

from my experience trying to sew my own jeans, if the denim is selvage the outseam must be straight...or else the point where the selvaged ends are stitched, above the point where the flare begins, would require alot of excess material just to make the selvage look half-decent at the leg opening. I drew a little diagram of a flared outseam jean turned inside out in Paint..cos i wasnt sure myself..

flareselvage.jpg

...as you can see, although it looks crappy, it could work...

...but honestly, who turns up flares anyway?

I assumed that the outseam was straight just because you can see the selvage. What I really want to know is if a tailor can reproduce the stitching on the inseam because that's where he/she will cut out denim to reduce the flare, correct? horriblyjollyjinx, is that what you were thinking when you posted about having the leg straightened? Again, I still want a slight flare, just not as big as comes standard on the PBJs.

I definitely turn up my boot cut jeans, especially when wearing boots. If the flare on the PBJs were less pronounced, let's say ~18 inches, then they could be turned up without looking weird. That's what I do with those altered Skinners I mentioned above.

• 3 months later...
Guest engteach

First Post!!!

I just bought a pair of 004s from blueingreensoho.com. They look awesome; I can't wait. I spoke to a guy at BiG on the phone, and he told me that the 004 was the exact same cut as the 005 but for the bootcut. He measured the opening; it's ten inches. The inseam, however, is 35 inches, so assuming a lot of people will have to hem them a bit, the flare can be reduced that way.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest engteach

I love the 004s. The term "bootcut" is misapplied, though. The outseam is straight and the inseam is flared slightly. Yes, I know what you're thinking: sounds strikingly similar to the Nudie RR cut. It is very similar; however, it's slimmer with a lower rise and the denim is sooooo nice. If you're a fan of the RR but wish it were slimmer, this fit might be for you.