The best denim information on the net?

beezen

Is Superdenim the best source of denim info on the net? Or is it a narrow view of only mens, dry denim, Levi's 'copies'?

How did the Superdenim denim message board evolve? And why is the focus on mens unwashed jeans?

Do you think that it alienates the more popular jeans lover? All those Seven, PDC, True Republic, Diesel fansd?

Dont know what true republic is..... lol. And I am a true religion-diesel lover, and I feel fine here, maybe it alienates the more sensitive ones, but they are too sesitive if it offends or alienates them.

Masochism at it's finest.

i dont think it alienates them....probably more of an eye opener for all the dough they throwdown on what is arguably inferior product...Ive owned all kinds of Diesel jeans, and I've never had any problems with the quality...but since getting my first pair of LVC's, I've realized that ive been missing out...the stitchwork and materials used are clearly better than most diesels...and i like the fact that it takes work to break in a pair of raw denim (although i think diesel has a raw wash too..hard to find but its there)...id rather earn my whiskers then have them handed to me in a nice little package..thas all

Edited by Whodinihimself on May 18, 2006 at 06:47 AM

I think this board appears to primarily have a focus on Japanese/raw/Levi's repro/nudies/diorhomme denim for two reasons:

1. The most knowledgeable members of the board for the most part seem to share a consensus that the quality/cut/product by the aforementioned sectors of denim is some of the best on the market

2. Unlike True Religion, Rock & Republic, Diesel, J & Company, 575, 1921, etc., the majority of the Japanese lines are considerably more difficult (or at the least more expensive) to acquire than the aforementioned lines. For many on the board, acquisition is limited to phone or internet order, and so discussion over fit, cut, shrinkage, etc. becomes MUCH more important, especially when returns are at best a pain in the ass.

On a final note, if anyone on the board does have questions pertaining to more mainstream lines that get disparaged more often than not, feel free to shoot me a question, as I have worked with these extensively over the past year, and so am well-acquainted with the companies as well as current styles in many. (i.e. True Religion now makes models that are fully chain-stitched throughout except for the reinforced stitching on the belt loops and pockets...granted for $380 I'd recommend you take your business to one of the many labels currently being touted on this board (45 rpm, Sugar Cane, Studio D'Artisan, Nudie), but it is nice to see some attention to quality coming from the mainstream designers) Diesel definitely has at least one raw style, but I'm not sure about the current season as our store didn't pick it up. The raw I am acquainted with was called the Shazor, but there are several washes of this jean, so if you're looking to pick up the raw, make sure that's what you're getting.

Don't forget that the jeans we love are made to last and they look better with age. All those distressed jeans will look worse with even one year of regular everyday wear. Those other "designer" jeans depreciate like crazy too. Buy them for $300 + and then sell them for $70.

Carpe Denim! (not the jean brand silly!)

1123865699585_selvage_edited.JPG

Quote:

Don't forget that the jeans we love are made to last and they look better with age. All those distressed jeans will look worse with even one year of regular everyday wear. Those other "designer" jeans depreciate like crazy too. Buy them for $300 + and then sell them for $70.

--- Original message by Serge d Nimes on May 18, 2006 09:51 PM

that is a VERY good point. and to add to that, high end designer jeans can sometimes fall out of style very quickly. They were lucky that the low-rise, bootcut look held on for as long as it did.

Thx for the replys.

Why is there a separate message board for denim rather than shoes or bags or whatever?

How did this board develop into a board that almost exclusively discusses unwashed denim?

What's the secret of this boards success? Its much more busy than the other sub-boards on here and its seen off other message boards like Handsblue.

I noticed that all you unwashed denim fans seem to think washed jeans like Sixty, Engerie, PDC, True Religion and brands like that are inferior. Does this cause any conflict with advertisers like Diesel?

Its not the washed nature of these brands that makes them inferior...45 rpm makes amazing washed and distressed denim, so does Sugar Cane, so do many others that deserve mention. It is that many of the designers you mentioned cost as much or more than companies that put a lot more time, thought, effort, and money into construction and quality control than they do to advertising (a partial explanation behind their lacking recognition on the scale of diesel or true religion). Also, many of the companies that are most often praised here put so much time into their production that this in itself limits the number of pieces they can produce; thus a jean that is only produced in such limited numbers can never achieve the popularity of such huge houses as Diesel, or an up and comer like True Religion, both of whom produce on a MUCH larger scale.

An analogy might be that while Pepsi and Coke are the two most popular sodas out there, can they compare with the hand-mixed flavour of that mom and pop italian soda store on the corner? If you want predictable consistency, go with pepsi or coke...but if you want the feel of an item made by those who see their position as a true artisan...

Personally I have huge respect for the work of Diesel, Replay and Adriano Goldschmied, who are denim pioneers, and I note that many people here regularly namecheck Diesel too. But it's natrual that any board like this tends to concentrate on the jeans that are hard to get hold of. Really, what's to debate about going down the local mall and buying a pair of Diesels? No-one needs hand-holding for that.

I must say that five years ago I was rocking Diesels, and had never heard of most of the labels I wear now. There is something to be said about success and the reasons behind it, especially given that you mention Goldschmeid...he's been heavily involved with or directly launched how many labels now? Diesel, Replay, AG, Gold Sign...

And while many on the board may not care for the aforementioned designers, obviously they appeal to a very broad sector of the population, and there is something to said for that.

To play devil's advocate, the cuts from Levi's/Lee/Wranglers that are adopted/reproduced/copied by the high end japanese labels appeal to one of the broadest cross sectors of the population out there, for these styles have shown their popularity over a very long period of time.

Quote: Is Superdenim the best source of denim info on the net? Or is it a narrow view of only mens, dry denim

i notice here that you use the term denim rather than jeans, the interest here is only partly about jeans and fashion, but also goes beyond that into denim, how is is made, dyed, the history...

if you are interested in denim/indigo and it's properties it almost inevitably follows that you will gravitate toward the dry/raw jean as the denim is closer to the mill, more pure [for want of a better word]

teisco.gif

Quote:

i dont think it alienates them....probably more of an eye opener for all the dough they throwdown on what is arguably inferior product...Ive owned all kinds of Diesel jeans, and I've never had any problems with the quality...but since getting my first pair of LVC's, I've realized that ive been missing out...the stitchwork and materials used are clearly better than most diesels...and i like the fact that it takes work to break in a pair of raw denim (although i think diesel has a raw wash too..hard to find but its there)...id rather earn my whiskers then have them handed to me in a nice little package..thas all

Edited by Whodinihimself on May 18, 2006 at 06:47 AM

--- Original message by Whodinihimself on May 18, 2006 06:35 AM

its exact my experience as well! u r telling my story.