Lee Japan

I seek your wisdom and advice.

Anyone bought jeans made by Lee Japan? (made by Edwn)

Hate to ask this type of question?

but do they shrink? (talking about significant shrinkage)

browsing rakuten, and looking at the Lee repros, obviously the label inside famously says "sanforized", also on the paper tag on the pocket it says "buy your exact size!! The Lee promise!"

When you look at the size charts next to the jeans it says they all have lengths of around approx 37 - 38 inches, (which would be suitable for me)

So if Edwin are reproducing exactly as they were made in the past (that is to say 'sanforized' on the tickets is not a lie) then they should remain pretty much at that length?

please advice. any experience appreciated, before I decide to purchase.

a very tricky one. I've asked people directly and got different answers, because even LEe sanforized fabric can shrink slightly (it's hard to compare their sanforized and non sanforized, because they seem to mnake non-sanforized product slightly large).

THe most practical advice came from American Classics, who told me you should buy to tag size - but cold wash

1st post on SF icon_smile.gif Just incase you've yet to buy or I guess it'll be useful info for future reference via the search button.

I would suggest sizing down by one or possibly two sizes after experience with a couple of pairs of 1937 Hair on Hide's. The first pair was tagged 30 x 33, actual measurements were 32.7 x 37. The waist stretched only a little with a week's worth of wear and then following a soak and spin dry both the waist and inseam shrunk by just an inch.

They ended up too big on the waist so I sold them and bought a 28 x 33. They measured 31.3 x 38 raw and with a week's wear stretched to nearly a 32 then following the same shrink routine as above measured 31 x 36.5. They stretch fairly easily thereafter too. I expect this pair to end up a 31.5.

It seems harder to stretch the 37's because of the 4 ply waistband. I'm presently also wearing in a pair of Lee Japan 1944 101B's and they're tagged 28 x 33 but like the 37's they measure bigger than tagged raw at 30.5 x 35.5. Both models are built like tanks and are very nice btw - hope this helps.

thanks for that input - that has definitely helped my decision process.

Yo coldrice, I'll be buying some Lees 1952 101z from you soon.

Does Japan have summer sales like the rest of the world?

not desperate for them now, so I could wait a few weeks if Japan has summer sales in June/July like the UK's large shops do.

For sale

Edwins new with all tags. Both 'worn' effect. PM me

Nashville 28 x 34 (£90) and Greenville 28 x 34 (£50)

I have a pair of Lee Japan '37 101 cinch backs as well as the '44 101Bs in sz. 34 x 34. The 101B Lees are about four years old and have been washed four or five times in cold water and hung to dry. They apparently shrunk less than an inch in the waist and less than two inches in length compared to another pair I have that are unworn. The '37s are only three months old and have been worn alot but have yet to be washed. They seem to fit looser in the waist so I'm hoping the waist shrinks some.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a245/13thBS/44leesII.jpg

Quote:

Umm, maybe I'm missing something ... but you can buy Lee Japan (Edwin-made) 1952 101Z at the Lee shop in Carnaby Street (or you could last time I looked). I think they're something like 150 pounds.

--- Original message by frideswide on May 21, 2006 05:41 PM

Coldrice should work out cheaper than Lee Store hopefully.

For sale

Just a bit more info. They're available at Aero in Scotland for a reasonable £135 but will work out the same as the Lee store after shipping. Just a word of warning about ordering from Japan - I have an as yet unfounded suspicion that the Lee Japan stuff available in the UK is intended for the Western market and thus tagged in accordance to Western 'vanity sizing' rather than the general Japanese 'shrink to tag size' way of doing things. Just ask Coldrice to check (I'm sure he will anyway, he's an all around good guy like that).

The other thing that makes me have this suspicion is that after making comparisons from this site http://www.rakuten.co.jp/americaya/570631/600947/ my 37 hair on hides seem to be a hybrid of the '36 & '39! The 44 also features different back pocket stiching to my pair + the paper tags are different. Also if the sites' measurements are to be trusted the Japanese range appears to be tagged true to size. Hmm. Anyway here's a few images of my pairs for reference.

The 1937 Hair on Hide Lee tag (bought from the Carnaby St. store)

lee37.jpg

The 1944 101B Lee tag (bought for about £50 in a sale sometime in 01/02!)

lee44.jpg

Both of them hanging up. The 44s are noticeably lighter in colour

lee3744.jpg

Apologies for the poor quality of the pics. Just a few other bits - the 37s utilise right hand denim, the 44s use left + double white selvedge with no line, 37's have one side with no line, the other with an indigo blue line, 37's feature wider apart and larger pockets than the 44s + also good to know is that these models measure exactly the same front rise & rear rise & knee measurements, the only difference in the cuts is that the 44's taper an extra inch in the leg. Cheers.

Edited by synthi on May 22, 2006 at 01:13 PM

Edited by synthi on May 22, 2006 at 01:14 PM

Edited by synthi on May 22, 2006 at 01:16 PM

No probs man. My true waist size is a perfect 30, wearing jeans on my hips i take a 31-32. Both aforementioned pairs of Lee's are tagged 28 x 33. Good news for tall people is that they are cut with more like a 36-38" inseam that only shrinks an inch or so. Lord only knows why Lee Japan stuff isn't more popular with us all!

its the back pockets. they are bad. i always find vintage(70s) lee jeans and buy them, and then dont wear them because of the way the pockets look.

If you've lost your faith in superfuture, Oh the end won't be long

Because if it's gone for you then I too may lose it, And that would be wrong

I've tried so hard to keep myself from falling

Back into my bad old ways

And it chars my heart to always hear you calling

Calling for the good old days

Because there were no good old days

These are the good old days

I remember a conversation about this in another thread.

Lee japn recently changed their line-up, with the '34, '37, '44 still being part of the european range.

From speaking 2 a friend, he states the shrinkage is as the old pairs (2 inch bigger then tag, 3 inch longer)

Lee's chronology is no where near as detailed as levi's so it is quite feasable that they played around with the tagging and pocket design year on year.

Ver sweet denim. Monsieur xcoldricex may be receiving a PM as soon as i sort my finances.

I believe the Lee X-line is made in Japan as well. They're affordable (around $100), and the Roscoe jean is a great fit.

Cheapmutha, some Lee jeans have the back pockets way to far from the center (I think they're the 1944-style, but I can't be sure)... some are okay though. I've seen some very flattering Lees.

Edited by wild_whiskey on May 23, 2006 at 11:04 AM

Quote:

I've had a pair of 44's and 52's, both from Japan and both shrunk down to the tag size 33 leg after a few washes.

--- Original message by tm1210 on May 23, 2006 11:42 AM

how do the 52s fit in relation to the 44s? i used to have the 44s and they were an excellent fit in the leg, but the seat was just a little too loose.

Lees (101EUs 101japan and xline) always fit 2" big on the waist for me - I think it's because of how the waist dips down on the front

Once again there is confusion about Lee Japan's final length!!!

I really do believe all jeans, whether reproductions or not, should be sanforzied in the modern sense of its meaning. As far as I know it would have no effect on the fade etc.

Its so frustrating to be afraid to properly wash repro's because of over shrinkage.

For sale

To be honest I think they're all meant to shrink down to a 33 leg or round abouts as this is what most are labeled. I've emailed Aero about this before and they have said the same thing. Maybe some people's are not getting to this size because they're cold washing them? I'm not sure

Yeah the apparent length discrepancy has always worried me a little, especially as on the write up for the 44s Aero makes a point to warn you about the length shrinkage but I've now done the following routine with 2 pairs of 37s:

Cold soak overnight

Warm water top up in the morning

Drained and then spun dry on medium heat

Inseam shrinkage was 1" on the first pair, 1.5" on the second. I've yet to soak my 44s so who knows if they'll behave similarly or differently. The denim on both seems quite tightly woven, I just cannot imagine 4-5" of denim dissapearing from the length. We'll see after the first machine wash I suppose but I'm not afraid to have them hemmed.

Synthi - cheers for the accurate info dude.

Please keep me updated with your 'progress' !!

I definitely want some Lee Japan, but will await your final verdict (ie after a machine wash)

Never been a person who uses a tumble dryer anyway, so this doesnt really concern me.

For sale

I have owned around a dozen of the early Euro Lees, with the Japanese sanforized fabric, and confess to being confused. They do shrink less than Levi's but I'm certain it's more than 3%. But with cold washing they seem to be controllable.

Here's a great link to a pic of the current Edwin/Lee range that someone posted earlier:

Lee-rvs1.JPG