Insight on selvage denim front a Laundry man....

damnIam

Quote:
Quote:

i live in nyc and i'll tell you that selvage is still very rare. i would say the highest occurence is in soho. second highest occurence, believe it or not, is in the hood, where you are seeing a lot of (bootleg) evisu and red monkey.

--- Original message by mizanation on May 15, 2006 06:26 AM

Yeah Miz you're right on the money. I usually see selvage in Soho too. The hypebeasts milling around Bape (usually a 2 block radius) usually rock Evisu with 2 inch + cuffs. Ocassionaly, you'll see some stylish guys in soho with cuffs showing off selvage, although according to my Mom only farmers cuff their jeans (yes I know jeans are workwear, but I thought this quote was kind of funny). Sometimes I see redlines/greenlines on the rockers in the LES and E Village too.

--- Original message by Roland on May 16, 2006 07:31 AM

haha, roland, i know exactly what you are talking about. i saw some LVC in park slope recently. when i was walking in soho, i saw a guy walking by with 45 rpm jomons. he was peeping my cane 47s and i felt somewhat inadequate (in a good way)! icon_smile.gif

http://mizanation.blogspot.com

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Quote:

i live in nyc and i'll tell you that selvage is still very rare. i would say the highest occurence is in soho. second highest occurence, believe it or not, is in the hood, where you are seeing a lot of (bootleg) evisu and red monkey.

--- Original message by mizanation on May 15, 2006 06:26 AM

da hood, oh man thats the best....actually, i seem alot of fake levi's at the rosebowl recently, they are all selvedge and are very high quality of bootleg....

--- Original message by 6MT on May 16, 2006 01:41 AM

6MT, yeah, the quality on the bootlegs are pretty awesome. honestly, it's impossible for me to tell.

nigo used to make his own BAPE bootlegs and made a killing. i wouldn't be surprised if red monkey is doing the same thing.

btw, how did you know those levi's were fake?

http://mizanation.blogspot.com

I lived till very recently in leeds, which is in the middle of england.

Bit like nike sb's, time was when they really were a coinnesseurs choice and you knew whoever really went out there way to pick them up.

But it's hell of a lot easier to pick up now and a lot more companies have released selvege denim. Topman even have had a range for a few seasons.

Now it's a regular occurance, part of the trendy outfit.

Not hating or anything, just observing.

Quote:

I saw a homeless man frantically masturbating into a selvedge sock (Studio D'Artisan I think) last week here in Silicon Valley.....that is about it though.

--- Original message by englandmj7 on May 16, 2006 02:30 PM

That was most likely the CFO of Amazon. I read he's a denim fanatic.

Re - Miz " i saw a guy walking by with 45 rpm jomons. he was peeping my cane 47s and i felt somewhat inadequate (in a good way)!"

Yeah, its always a little awkward turning your head and checking out back pockets etc. My friends always tease me about it, but its just for the love of denim.

Sidenote - Just got this Indigo Flower Coaster downtown.

http://www.johnderian.com/collection/round/coasters/flowers_indigo.html

Edited by Roland on May 16, 2006 at 03:07 PM

damn.....

ha, i'm a dallasite myself, and that is where I am transferring to.If you've been here for a while, you would know that that is just not the scene here, few if any people venture outside of the abercrombie or goth box or business cas box.

Sorry you live in TX! icon_smile_big.gif lol

Masochism at it's finest.

Edited by keri on May 16, 2006 at 04:43 PM

Quote:

damn.....

ha, i'm a dallasite myself, and that is where I am transferring to.If you've been here for a while, you would know that that is just not the scene here, few if any people venture outside of the abercrombie or goth box or business cas box.

--- Original message by keri on May 16, 2006 04:41 PM

yeah, I have been living here for 6 long years and I am moving back to Jacksonville Beach when I am fully vested in my retirement plan at the beginning of 07 (my regular job). I cannot wait. Until then I guess I will have to deal with looking at dirty ass light blue wranglers with cow shit on the cuffs.

Quote:
Quote:

damn.....

--- Original message by keri on May 16, 2006 04:41 PM

yeah, I have been living here for 6 long years and I am moving back to Jacksonville Beach when I am fully vested in my retirement plan at the beginning of 07 (my regular job). I cannot wait. Until then I guess I will have to deal with looking at dirty ass light blue wranglers with cow shit on the cuffs.

--- Original message by damnIam on May 17, 2006 05:47 AM

jax beach huh? im not sure its much better than texas, but i never make it out to the beach. im picturing lots of diesel and true religion. im in riverside, and no one here can afford selvage, or if they do they spend thier money on a boat or a big suv. ive talked to the owner of wolfgang(riverside botique) and he cant sell any real high end shit. people here dont have the desire to buy it.

If you've lost your faith in superfuture, Oh the end won't be long

Because if it's gone for you then I too may lose it, And that would be wrong

I've tried so hard to keep myself from falling

Back into my bad old ways

And it chars my heart to always hear you calling

Calling for the good old days

Because there were no good old days

These are the good old days

• 3 weeks later...

i mean it's pretty easy to tell when you look at the details, the levi's button looks really fake and the rivets is not any of the rivets i have seen before, it was in such bad quality it has to qualify fake....the jeans was running in a very wear style and when you add everything together it can't be real, it was in brand new condition plus it's raw selvedge for 60 usd.......i just can't imagine it been real

Quote:

I have been washing laundry at a very upscale laundramat in a college town partime for over a year now and I have not seen a single pair of selvage jeans yet. I wash and fold about 300 to 400 pounds of laundry every weekend. Most of the people that drop their stuff off are college kids and they have VERY specific instructions for their stuff. I have seen every other brand you can imagine. Just how rare is it to actually own and wear selvage denim in the United States? There is a school of fashion at the local state college UNT ( just north of Dallas) here and I have asked several of the students there if any of them know about selvage denim and to date not a single one has heard of it. They go on to explain to me what selvage on fabric is, but they have no clue about it as far as jeans go.

--- Original message by damnIam on May 15, 2006 06:21 AM

Maybe you never see it in the laundry because the people who have it aren't washing their jeans?

Quote:

Hypebeast kids all the time in Toronto. Levi's, Nudie, APC, Evisu are most common, usually with matching Stussy tee or fake Bape sweater. Old dudes with Ralfs occasionally too.

--- Original message by Circa on May 16, 2006 11:16 AM

im from toronto too (and youd probably call me one of the hypebeast dudes) and i rarely, if ever, see anyone else wearing selvage. ive seen a few other people wearing nudies and evisu around but its not really as huge as you make it sound, at least in my opinion. hell, 99% of the people around my age (19) that ive ever talked to have no fucking idea about any different kinds of denim. maybe everyone ive talked to just sucks though

this is my signature

• 4 years later...

Reviving an old thread.

%5years on, would you say the denim landscape has changed significantly? Particularly in the USA?

Again to re-iterate what i said 5 years ago, the city I live in is very fashion forward, so brands from SDA, APC LVC are all available in local boutiques.

Even the mainstream high street stores have them from time to time.

What,s the situation around your way?

Guest rusholmeruffian

You can get nudies in costco,

APC, don't care where you can get them, although I know TK Maxx has tons of that shit.

LVC? yes, well they aren't the beast they used to be, even Selfridges don't bother any more with them.

But SDA, on the high st? Bollox.

Guest rusholmeruffian

Mike, I thought you could get a lot of Japanese stuff down under?

But , surely where you live nowadays is irrelevant? I've sold loads of jeans to Aus.

BTW, please don't think any high st in the UK is full of hipsters in cool jeans, G-star / nudies and all-saints is the default uniform here too.

^ Haha, I see.

Right Hand Distribution in Adelaide is bringing in a lot of Japanese brands (Samurai, Sugar Cane, etc), which is quite cool. (Although I'm unsure of how well they're selling the Japanese stuff)

"That Store" in Melbourne and Sydney were pushing Japanese stuff quite strongly a year or two ago, but nobody was kopping, so they've reverted to Nudies, Cheap Mondays, etc - which was quite sad for my local denim scene.

Other than that, I don't think there's much else. There's the occasional little Asian store that would sell a few Japanese jeans, like that PBJ store in Sydney.

I think folks down under don't really understand the fuss, and there's no retailer like SF or BiG to educate and support customers (RHD in Adelaide aside.)

Guys I see here who rock Japanese or Cone denim are usually International students who picked up the 'habit' back in their country of origin.

You're quite right in terms of buying denim over the Internet, Australia is pretty lucky as we're close to Japan and Take5 stores. But in terms of being able to try on a lot of fits and handle lots of denim in person, I think we're greatly disadvantaged.

Guest rusholmeruffian

Yeah, getting a package from Japan is rather wonderful but there is nothing like trying on first.

Mind you, the good stuff is often outside the metropolises (?) . Superdenim is the best jeans retailer in the UK and they are in York.

@rusholmeruffian

Leeds, and i did say boutiques. HIP, kiosk 78 etc usually have everything from APC lVC SDA EDwin Evisu Denime etc.

The high st was a reference to selvege denim. Now everyone from M&S to topman have it in their range.

G star Nudie and even All saints carry selvedge denim in their line. Cant remeber what was "in" 5 years ago, but i doubt any of them would have selvedge in their range or even market them as doing so.

Selvage denim is becoming more or less common over here. Not that you'll see it every day, but certainly regularly. I noticed last week that a major fashion warehouse in the main shopping street now carries Levi's and Lee selvage jeans, just stacked between ordinary denim. I guess quite a number of people will be buying these jeans not even aware of what selvage is.