usa :: new york :: general

Analyst

Spa.. but actually anything will do.. preferably run by Chinese, all the white ones I looked at are so expensive & luxurious looking.

Prolly just wanna blow fifty bucks.

Edit: My previous post, I meant decent as in they're strong hands, not as in not-sketchy. I don't need a place that looks good :P

6 Allen St 6th Floor elevator access, they only speak mando though.... ask for Jack, he's pretty damn good. strong enough to get them stubborn knots out.... 40 bucks, 10 bucks tip well worth the money...

I'm getting tired of hairmates. I mean they give okay haircuts but not as good as the ones i get in the japland.

I've been to hairmates at least 5 times, had 3 different stylists.

Whistle is good

267 E 10th street

between 1st Ave and Ave A

http://www.whistlesalon.com/

and check out museums of course if you like art.

I think there are three things New York really does better than pretty much anywhere else: Museums, parks and shopping. (night life might belong on this list more than parks, debatable I think but probably not a debate worth having)

MOMA, New Museum, Neue Galerie are probably my 3 favorite museums. Also Metropolitan, American Folk Art, Whitney are next favorites.

Central Park is cool. Go walk around, you will recognize a lot of areas from movies and books (recognizing stuff is basically true for all of manhattan though)

Shopping: sounds like you are more interested in looking at stuff than spending a lot of money. Check out this thread though for some of the most well designed stores from an architectural and artistic frame of reference

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=19059

so i am leaving to NY on the 26th and i am in need of a hotel or motel or any place cheap to stay at in new york city for 3 days. Can any people from NY help me out and let me know any cheap spots cause i called red roof inn and la quitina or something and they gave me 300+ so thats a no go. Thanks for the help in advance.

the pod is pretty cool. i would recommend it to anyone who would be interested. the pictures on the website can be a little decieving, but still pretty good for the price. the rooms are rather small. if you dont stay in one of the big bedrooms, you'll be sharing bathrooms with the rest of the floor. i never at at the pod, not wroth it for the price when theres great food right around the corner. the shower offers body wash and shampoo, you must bring any other stuff you may want/need. dont forget a toothbrush, toothpaste, facewash, etc. location wise, its very uptown, close to the rockefeller. so for shopping addicts, not the best location. i think dior homme and barneys nyc iis not too far from the pod hotel. the green subway line 6 is only a couple blocks away and will take you straight to soho/chinatown.

for food, i found this awesome japanese izakaya style restaurant called HAGI. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS PLACE. the service is good and the food is pretty effin good. the prices are really cheap too. 3-8 dollars a plate, and me and my girlfriend kept ordering bottles of sake for $5. i think it was $11 for a pitcher of saporo. really cheap. you'll leave drunk and full for less than $60 (for 2 people). theres also another japanese place where they serve free unlimited sake every night from like 6-11pm. i cant remember the name tho.

for visvim, union nyc pretty much has all the good peices. they carry part of the g line and part of the japanese line. they had peices from the f/w 08. i ended up buying the new fbt shaman and some logan lo's. the dudes in there are really chill and gave me some sort of deal. i had not been to nyc for a like 3 years, and last time i went uniqlo was only a flagship store appearing in places once in a while. now they have a huge store on broadway (i know this is known, but i hadnt been there yet).

i got no help, and actually got neg rep for posting this thread. it really isnt hard finding what you want once your in nyc, its just a matter of a lil searching, walking and googleing. i hope this helps anyone visiting nyc.

sorry i didnt see this thread sooner...i wouldve definitely sent you some great recommendations on food and drinks and stuff to check out.

as for the the other superfuturer coming...get a timeout ny when you arrive. and message what yr looking for...restaurants...any price range? location? romantic or for you and some dudes?

I went to NYC last year so I kinda know my way around as far as shopping goes but I want to get an idea of where to eat on a budget. I stumbled across midtownlunch.com for food. Any recommendations from there? Also, it's just me and my girlfriend going this time.

We didn't really do the touristy stuff last year so I know we'll look forward to that. Last time we pretty much went to SoHo 4 times and Times Square a few times. I enjoyed it but I wanna try doing a little more.

I appreciate the help!

idk what your budget is, but seriously go to hagi if you like japanese. $60 will get you alot of food, alot of alcohol, and desert. you could drop $30 for two and leave satisfied. it all depends how much you wanna eat. have you tried dim sum in nyc? the golden unicorn is a pretty decent dim sum place. me and my girlfriend started grabbing food left and right without hesitating and spent only $35 i think.

in my opinion, momofuku...ssam and noodle are the most overrated restaurants in ny. they are merely meh.

as for food recs...its all relative but here are my best eats:

-da andrea...amazing italian on hudson and perry...all homemade pastas...everyone is from bologna so its gonna be great. get the warm octopus salad (grilled octopus, olives, and potatoes, $8) and the paparadelle with sweet sausage ragu ($10).

-ino...only on bedford...the one in the LES sucks in my opinion. get the truffled egg toast ($8), cheese plate ($10), quattro panini (any four of their paninis for like $10)...their wine list is great and reasonable. they have a dolcetto d'alba for like $28...the place is small but a good crowd.

-la esquina...not cali quality mexican but solid for tacos...particularly after a night of drinking or going to a concert at bowery ballroom.

-corner bistro...best time to go is like 1am on a tuesday but they have a solid burger thats cheap. very crowded at peak times but its an old school village institution.

-shake shack...insane line...insane burgers and shakes...get the shroom burger...its nuts. if the line is less than 25 minutes, i usually always go.

-max...another good italian spot...nice outdoor backyard. the meatloaf is heavy but real good...cheap.

-westville...on west 10th...very local spot for solid comfort food...small and there's usually a wait but i probably eat there more than any other place...get the market veges.

-stand for burgers on 12th and university...burgers are good...but their shakes are insane...get the toasted marshmellow or the chocolate malted.

-moustache on bedford...awesome middle eastern...best merguez sandwich ever...smokey babaganoush.

^^^i like how you diss momofuku as overrated and then namecheck four of the most overrated restaurants around (corner bistro, shake shack, max, ino) that aren't even particularly good.

Corner Bistro hasn't been good for the last 7-8 years.

Shake Shack is tasty but not worth the wait.

Max is okay.

I still don't get Momofuku. I don't think I ever will.

All I know in the area is 8th ave.

Which is basically the brooklyn equivalent of chinatown/flushing.

Lots of asians (obviously), and a bunch of orthodox jews a couple blocks over.

Pretty diverse, mostly familys I think. About 45 minutes into the city by train during weekdays, dunno about night.