usa :: new york :: general

Analyst

Not to derail, but I didn't want to create a new thread for this question:

What are some izakayas and yakitori places that NYC sufuers like? Is Yakitori Toto still the standard or are there any other places that might not be as well know but equally enjoyable? I need to get my izakaya action on, but I'd rather not have to trek uptown...thanks.

Yakitori Totto is still the king as far as quality is concerned. Their sister restaurant, Aburiya Kinnosuke is also great but it doesn't seem as popular as Yakitori Totto.

I ate at Uminoie for the first time this weekend. The udon was the most unique I've had (either in Japan or in NYC). Uminoie is true homecooking with a small restaurant vibe. The chick who cooks behind the counter is from Goto Island and her broth recipe is awesome. She also made some very distinctive akamiso. Overall I'd say the menu has an izakaya slant, but it's not traditional izakaya.

hmm, i haven't found a yakitori place i like better than totto yet, either. too bad people seem to know about it, too. it's always crowded there.

this is a side-note that i've mentioned before, but the best yakitori i've had in this country was actually in dallas, tx of all places. a joint called teppo.

izakaya-wise, i find kenka to be just fine for its value and accessibility.

I ate at Uminoie for the first time this weekend. The udon was the most unique I've had (either in Japan or in NYC). Uminoie is true homecooking with a small restaurant vibe. The chick who cooks behind the counter is from Goto Island and her broth recipe is awesome. She also made some very distinctive akamiso. Overall I'd say the menu has an izakaya slant, but it's not traditional izakaya.

wow, that sounds right up my alley. I'm a sucker for good broth, even in the dead heat of the summer. Will check it out this week. Thanks.

chicken yeah its unfortunate that totto is both so popular and so small. I lived in Hells Kitchen for a couple of years so it wasnt a big deal just to stop by to see about availability. Good thing is, is that its open late, but its usually filled with japanese business men after 11 pm.

However, since you are "chicken," shouldnt you have vip status there?

Kenka is decent, I just dont find eating on St. Marks that enjoyable a experience.

I've stayed at the huge one at the corner of Amsterdam and 103rd as well as the Chelsea Star next to Madison Square Garden. They're both dirt cheap and decent as hostels go. The Chelsea Star is a bit more convenient nightlife wise but it's pretty loud when and if you do want to take a nap or something (Metal floors, who's bright idea is that).

alright, went to torishin last night. food, atmosphere and presentation were good. (their condiments were quite authentic and tasty too.) and it was easy to reserve a seat for four.

but just a warning: they don't serve ala carte menu before 10pm, so the cheapest thing you can get on the menu is a $40 course per person. personally, i prefer a yakitori joint to be more casual, at the end of the day.

alright, went to torishin last night. food, atmosphere and presentation were good. (their condiments were quite authentic and tasty too.) and it was easy to reserve a seat for four.

but just a warning: they don't serve ala carte menu before 10pm, so the cheapest thing you can get on the menu is a $40 course per person. personally, i prefer a yakitori joint to be more casual, at the end of the day.

is it a tasting menu of sorts? $40 seems reasonable, but i guess not if you're lookin for just a bowl of noodles.

so I cant order 10 sticks of bonchiri before 10, that sucks

is it a tasting menu of sorts? $40 seems reasonable, but i guess not if you're lookin for just a bowl of noodles.

it's more of a course menu, iirc starting with an appetizer (was goya champuruu in our case), then followed by about six different skewers per person, then a rice dish (oyakodon, soborodon or ochazuke) and finally a dessert (for us, it was a choice between shiso sorbet or yogurt icecream).

just noticed you used to live in hell's kitchen. i lived there for a year too. lots of good eats around there, and totally agree with you about st. mark's area in general.

so I cant order 10 sticks of bonchiri before 10, that sucks

you could, but only AFTER you've ordered a course menu. then you can order ala carte on the side. either that or get there after 10. strange.

just noticed you used to live in hell's kitchen. i lived there for a year too. lots of good eats around there, and totally agree with you about st. mark's area in general.

I lived right across the street from Churascaria Plataforma for 2.5 years (on 50th bet. 8th and 9th), and I must say the 15 block stretch from 42nd to 57th on 9th avenue has some of the most diverse, affordable, convenient and delectable food the city has to offer.

I lived right across the street from Churascaria Plataforma for 2.5 years (on 50th bet. 8th and 9th), and I must say the 15 block stretch from 42nd to 57th on 9th avenue has some of the most diverse, affordable, convenient and delectable food the city has to offer.

duude. tell me i live on 42nd and i hate that strip. could you pm me a list of places to go so i dont junk up this thread?! show me the light....

plataforma has some cute brazilian bar maids. i celebrated my 21st birthday there and the bartender wanted to take me out after work. i'm still kicking myself in the ass for not taking that offer. i ended up just getting plastered at my apartment, waking up under a table. :(

plataforma has some cute brazilian bar maids. i celebrated my 21st birthday there and the bartender wanted to take me out after work. i'm still kicking myself in the ass for not taking that offer. i ended up just getting plastered at my apartment, waking up under a table. :(

Think what you could have woke up under...shame on you.

good thread. ive wondered this too. i need to experience real ramen, not this instant ramen bullshit.

• 1 month later...
Everyone in this thread recommended Kino. Why didn't you try him? He's a great stylist.

I thought Kino was okay. Not as good as I thought he would be.