Anyone have the Buzz Rickson Pattern Recognition MA-1?

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

naoto - could you post pics of the buzz sweatshirts either here or in another thread -- very curious about the set-in sleeve sweats...

Oh, mine are all "freedom sleeves" type. Do you still want to see them here?:rolleyes:

also, anyone have the wm gibson N-1 deck jacket? also considering...

I'm still waiting for N-1 (navy-coloured one) to buy.:)

So, any comment on the current cost of EITHER the black OR navy MA-1 in Japan?

Thanks.

What's the price on the black MA-1 direct from Japan? And can one get the size 46? I'm loath to pay HP's premium (and shipping to Asia, anyway).

The black MA-1 japanese price is here:

http://www.buzzricksons.jp/product/william_gibson-0001.html

My concern with these jackets is sizing & fit.

I really want to try on the MA-1, the N1, and an A2.

Does anyone have pictures of people wearing MA-1s who don't look like complete morons? I realize it's a bulky jacket and thus isn't ever gonna be "form-fitting," but a quick google image search for MA-1 reveals some really scary things.

i flipped through a japanese magazine called begin, and the models looked awesome in them. i particularly fell in love with the beams MA-1, and the hooded alpha MA-1.

The black MA-1 japanese price is here:

http://www.buzzricksons.jp/product/william_gibson-0001.html

So, please forgive me if I'm slow to learn. The MSRP listed on the prime site is the ONLY price point at which these can be had? Certainly, it can be had for much more. One only need look to the HP site for that. But is there not a "going" or street price in Japan that is below the MSRP?

goddamn I'm torn up over this MA-1 thing.One day I'm ready to bust the cash on one and the next I'm thinking nawhh ... mainly cuz the sizing is suspicious and I'm feeling the actual style is hard to pull off. Almost picked up a green '57 spec rickson's MA-1 off of Yahoo auctions a couple weeks ago, but lunched it at the last minute ...

Somebody help me.

Please.

goddamn I'm torn up over this MA-1 thing.One day I'm ready to bust the cash on one and the next I'm thinking nawhh ... mainly cuz the sizing is suspicious and I'm feeling the actual style is hard to pull off. Almost picked up a green '57 spec rickson's MA-1 off of Yahoo auctions a couple weeks ago, but lunched it at the last minute ...

Somebody help me.

Please.

i love my ma-1. it's a beautiful jacket.

size the fuck down if you're going to get one, though (runs about a full size large).

i love my ma-1. it's a beautiful jacket.

size the fuck down if you're going to get one, though (runs about a full size large).

This has been my experience as well. I tried the NdG one on in the store, and while it was a medium, it fit me perfectly, and I'm pretty sure that I'm a big medium/small large with fairly broad shoulders.

the NdG version was VERY expensive. I remember talking to my wife about it, thinking who in the world would pay this much (~700) for this jacket when you can get something nearly identical at hispres for 450?

• 2 weeks later...
eh, compared to most everyone else on this board, i'm a fatty.

I'd be looking at the 44..., and hoping it does run big!!!

i'm hoping that i will get a decent price on supermarket if it doesn't fit

in fact, i'm taking preorders!

The Rickson's is a fanatical museum-grade replica of a U.S. MA-1 flying jacket, as purely functional and iconic a garment as the previous century produced. Dorotea's slow burn is being accelerated, Cayce suspects, by her perception that Cayce's MA-1 trumps any attempt at minimalism, the Rickson's having been created by Japanese obsessives driven by passions having nothing at all to do with anything remotely like fashion.

Cayce knows, for instance, that the characteristically wrinkled seams down either arm were originally the result of sewing with pre-war industrial machines that rebelled against the slippery new material, nylon. The makers of the Rickson's have exaggerated this, but only very slightly, and done a hundred other things, tiny things, as well, so that their product has become, in some very Japanese way, the result of an act of worship. It is an imitation more real somehow than that which it emulates. It is easily the most expensive garment Cayce owns, and would be virtually impossible to replace.

between HIS/PRES suggesting sizing up, this board saying size down, and cornell surgery saying buy true, i figured i'd do like i always do and bought my true size.

:crossing fingers:

that seems pretty expected. Most SF'ers are honestly pretty slim, and if not slim then at least young and reasonably fit, and sizing down is necessary for a lot of people especially in something boxy like a flight jacket. The people on cornell surgery are a lot of vets, and middle-aged to older men. This of course means that they are probably larger than the average SF'er, meaning true to size would be a good call.

and his/pres is just crazy i guess.