super umbrellas

Guest johnsinclair

Selvedge Raw Denim Dry Bones umbrella.. Drips indigo all over your clothes as it rains from above.

when i was younger i would flatout refuse umbrellas cause they were 'hella gay.' i would rather get soaked than carry one. i still dont like em that much but i use em. my favorite one was this 300 yen one i got in tokyo cause it was clear, so it didnt block my view.

• 8 months later...

how to get a free umbrella...

Walk into any cinema / library / cafe / restaurant / etc (you should alter your destination depending on the class of umbrealla you are after)

"Hi, I was in here a couple of days ago and think I left my umbrella in here..."

"It's _____(insert desirable brolly characteristics)____"

They will offer you a selection of the umbrellas that people have left there

"Ah yes that's my umbrella, why thank you my kind sir." Then you tip your hat and take the umbrella"

It's like thrifting, but cheaper

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, ive just done a quick search and havent found much related to what im looking for.

As im currently residing in not-so-sunny England, where it rains nearly every fookin day ov the year, it got me thinkin....what unbrellas do you guys/gals use?

And im also looking for a small one i could stick in my bag so i dont get caught out on my way to lectures...any recommendations??

Small umbrellas are for ladies. Why not carry a proper, full size umbrella? If you want the best, you have three choices, and fortunately you are in London so you have all of them on your doorstep.

They are: James Smith & Son; Fox; or Brigg.

James Smith don't, I think, make their own frames, but have them made in Italy. They're very well made and will last you a lifetime, with proper solid-stick handles. Also, their shop is a London retail landmark (it's an old Victorian shop), and worth a visit. They also stock folding ladies' umbrellas should you decide this is really what you want.

Fox have a shop in Moorgate, and make the best umbrella frames (all hand-made). They also make the frames for Brigg umbrellas, I believe. You can also buy their umbrellas online, and, I think, at Oi Polloi (online, and in Manchester).

But the very best umbrellas money can buy are Brigg umbrellas, which you can see at Swaine Adeney & Brigg in St James. Serious items, and not for leaving on the bus. They also have an online factory shop, which is on the Papworth website. They sometimes have factory seconds there, which are still excellent quality. The factory seconds go for between 60 and 120 quid.

None of these are cheap, but if you want quality that lasts (and which never, ever blows inside out, which gives you a strange, conceited form of pleasure as you watch others struggling with their lesser umbrellas in windy weather), then you can't go wrong with one of these three. You're in England, after all. Why not go for the real deal?

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From time to time Topman has great, sturdy, long umbrellas for cheap. I had one for two years in rather windy conditions and it held together fine until some bastard robbed my car in the middle of a rainstorm. Seriously who breaks into a car and only takes an umbrella?