New denim brand: CHIMALA (formed by 45rpm splinter group)...

Anyone seen or have insight into Chamala jeans (ringring, I’m looking in your direction)?

I'm a newbie in the game so I was looking for an experienced eye to check them out.

Was just in Odin in nyc...salesperson showed me Chamala denim and told me they were a new label formed by former 45rpm people. They only had two models on hand: one was a loose fitting one-wash (selvedge) that was truly BEAUTIFUL; crumpled deep indigo with some tasteful distressing and simple stitching on back pockets. The jeans seemed very well made but I don't trust my own eye yet. I would have been all over it but I like a slimmer fit.

The other model was a slimmer cut black wash with some fading on the thighs. They didn't have my size but I didn't love the wash to begin with...the fading on the thighs was too contrasted from the rest of the leg and stopped abruptly above the knee...like two light pools in a sea of black. It looked very manufactured, like a Diesel wash or some such.

Salesperson said they're expecting another big shipment soon with more cuts/washes. If there's anyone in nyc who knows their shit...check out Odin's new location at 199 Lafayette St and let us know. FYI, I do not work for Odin...cause I just realized this post makes it sound like I do.

thanks!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone seen or have insight into Chamala jeans (ringring, I’m looking in your direction)?

I'm a newbie in the game so I was looking for an experienced eye to check them out.

Was just in Odin in nyc...salesperson showed me Chamala denim and told me they were a new label formed by former 45rpm people. They only had two models on hand: one was a loose fitting one-wash (selvedge) that was truly beautiful; crumpled deep indigo with some tasteful distressing and simple stitching on back pockets. The jeans seemed very well made but I don't trust my own eye yet. I would have been all over it but I like a slimmer fit.

The other model was a slimmer cut black wash with some fading on the thighs. They didn't have my size but I didn't love the wash to begin with...the fading on the thighs was too contrasted from the rest of the leg and stopped abruptly above the knee...like two light pools in a sea of black. It looked very manufactured, like Diesel or some such.

Salesperson said they're expecting another big shipment soon with more cuts/washes. If there's anyone in nyc who knows their shit...check out Odin's new location at 199 Lafayette St and let us know. FYI, I do not work for Odin...cause I just realized this post makes it sound like I do.

thanks!

Thanks for the heads up. I've not had the opportunity yet to check them out, but should do so within the next couple of months.

Talking of 45rpm splinter's, I'd recommend taking a look at the brand Pure Blue Japan. It's made by a supplier who made jeans for 45rpm before they parted ways. Beautiful denim. Outstanding actually. Considered by some people I know, better than 45's current jeans. Priced well too.

The AI-001's are natural indigo. Front rise is around 11". They feature slightly different stitching to the XX-003 (super thick thread round the fly and pockets & inside leg), and pale blue selvedge. The denim is of a rougher, undulating, uneven texture than the XX-003.

The XX-003 are superb jeans too. Pink selvedge. Similar fit.

Otherwise, both jeans are pretty plain, with plain back pockets and rivets. Both available dry or one-wash. Both don't crock much at all. Both had squared off inside fly facings that bothered me a bit, but were easily fixed in a few seconds (turn the corner in on itself).

If memory serves, prices are around:

AI-001 = 45000 yen

XX-003 = 19000 yen

Quote:

Oh my god I want a pair of the washed Pure Blues.

--- Original message by minya on Apr 29, 2006 12:18 PM

Hehe, really? They look nice, but there is something about them that turns me off about them. I think its the fact that the jeans are still so dark but the wear is so light, kinda makes it really obvious that its been sandpapered like crazy. Looks like the CHAMALA's are the same. Is this common for washed Japanese denim?

Edited by PG2G on Apr 29, 2006 at 12:37 PM

Damn...sorry for the misspelling in the thread title; the salesperson spelled it for me over the phone, which explains why I couldn't find them online. Thanks to iloveindigo for that. And thanks to ringring and windowpane and everyone for the helpful info.

I'm heading back to Odin this week to see if they received any new cuts/washes. Maybe I can convince them to order some other Japanese denim, like Samurai or Denime, since it seems nobody else in nyc carries them...i'll pitch it as the way of becoming the vanguard of Japanese denim in the city. icon_smile_wink.gif

Hi

I just ordered the Pureblue in a w34 - anyone know if the fitting is loose or tight in the one wash ( I take 34 in PRPS but w36 in say Eternal 811's) as I'm wandering if I have ordered the right size.

Also looking at the Chimala in w34 as they look quite loose in the rinsed version.

Thanks in advance for any help

Quote:

Damn...sorry for the misspelling in the thread title; the salesperson spelled it for me over the phone, which explains why I couldn't find them online. Thanks to iloveindigo for that. And thanks to ringring and windowpane and everyone for the helpful info.

I'm heading back to Odin this week to see if they received any new cuts/washes. Maybe I can convince them to order some other Japanese denim, like Samurai or Denime, since it seems nobody else in nyc carries them...i'll pitch it as the way of becoming the vanguard of Japanese denim in the city. icon_smile_wink.gif

--- Original message by mauxhall on May 1, 2006 06:46 AM

Samurai actually have export models without the red tab and different details already, I dont know where they export them to though. The clerks in a store here said that Samurai might be looking into the Swedish market. I would actually hate to have them available in stores because then I might not be able to buy them for such a good price from Japan.

våran panel tycker att man ska koka pastan i två år

Good point, jinx...not to mention the shallow notion of retaining exclusivity. However I just can't bring myself to order jeans i haven't tried on. When you order from Japan, how difficult is the return process?

Edited by mauxhall on May 1, 2006 at 08:16 AM

Quote:

Good point, jinx...not to mention the shallow notion of retaining exclusivity. However I just can't bring myself to order jeans i haven't tried on. When you order from Japan, how difficult is the return process?

Edited by mauxhall on May 1, 2006 at 08:16 AM

--- Original message by mauxhall on May 1, 2006 08:14 AM

I would not bother because of shipping costs, language barrier etc. Plus, I think you have to return it within one week after purchase in Japan, so it wouldnt work anyway.

I'd sell it here if I got the wrong size. You wont get back what you paid, but the hit wont be very big and I think it's worth the risk, since the reward is so big, a pair of really high quality, unique jeans.

våran panel tycker att man ska koka pastan i två år

Quote:

at 18000 yen, the pure blues are not too bad... if they are made from ex-45rpm people, then quality should be outstanding...

--- Original message by mizanation on May 1, 2006 08:41 AM

It's kind of the other way around. Pure Blue used to make jeans for 45rpm. Some seriously denimnerdy people I know, rate the quality higher than the current 45rpm jeans.

Anyway, take it from me, the denim used is top class.

BTW, they fit true to size. Relatively low rise (for a Japanese 'repro') and slim fitting. The natural indigo style fits a little tighter in the waist and rise, but the difference is pretty insignificant.

Quote:

Thanks - have now tried to change my order back to a w36 ! If not possible will just have to lose weight........

Anyone know how the CHAMALA fit......judging from post above they're quite loose I think?

--- Original message by LFC4ever on May 1, 2006 09:58 AM

I only tried on the one pair, which were roomy but not super baggy. The waist was pretty true to size; i'm about a 30 in actual measurements and the Chimala 30 fit nice, if not a tiny bit loose. I'm going back soon for a more thorough fitting, and will post again when i have a better sense of fit...

FYI, it's CHIMALA with an "i", not CHAMALA.

To any MODERATOR: if you have the power to fix the spelling mistake in the thread title, please do so.

Edited by mauxhall on May 1, 2006 at 11:25 AM