Levi's RedTab special projects

Talk about the upcoming Levi"s x Filson stuff, how rediculous the junya watanabe x levi's are every year, how lame the Opening Ceremony x Levi's cords are, anything non-LVC related etc.....

I figure this thread can reduce the unrelated clutter in the LVC thread, as well as organize discussion, seeing how Levi's churns out collaboration after collaboration each year...

• 2 weeks later...

Not too sure where else to post this as there has been a little discussion about the Levi's x Filson line. Tried on a the shooting shirt and the cruiser jacket which were both oversized but maybe they shrink down? I tried on the tin cloth trucker in small but it was way too tight; strange because i have a small trucker which fits fine. Anyways I picked up one of the booklets and made some scans to share.

front0002.jpg

front0003.jpg

front0004.jpg

front0005.jpg

front0006.jpg

front0007.jpg

The two denims mention are named "Rigid Nappy Denim 13.5 oz" and "Rigid Saturated Denim 13.5 oz"

front0008.jpg

front0009.jpg

front0001.jpg

The rest of the pages in the booklet are like the notes pages which seem similar to Field Notes notebooks which Levi's was selling as well.

All of the items were unwashed and had a nice feel but while all these were hand made in Seattle, the denim is sadly imported. :(

My guess...Levi is getting their denim from another source (Cone MAYBE), and Filson is just sewing them together. I don't think Filson is in the fabric-producing business.

^Wow, if they are going to make the items in the USA at the Filson factory, I just can't believe they wouldn't use Made in the USA Cone denim. Bizarre.

I heard the tin cloth jackets run small in size, so I went down to my local Levi's and tried one on. They were out of mediums, but a large fit me quite well, and I'm on the small side of medium. A medium probably wouldn't have been long enough in the arms for me (I'm 6') and I'm guessing would have been tight across the stomach when buttoned.

I heard the tin cloth jackets run small in size, so I went down to my local Levi's and tried one on. They were out of mediums, but a large fit me quite well, and I'm on the small side of medium. A medium probably wouldn't have been long enough in the arms for me (I'm 6') and I'm guessing would have been tight across the stomach when buttoned.

Fatty......

The Trucker Jackets shipped in Smalls and Larges so far. My store JUST got larges today. As of yesterday, as far as I know none of the stores had Mediums or X-Larges.

The Truckers fit small. You have to go one size up from your regular.

The Shooting Shirt fits real big, the top of the arms are real big.

The Cruiser Jacket also fits bigger than normal. One size so I hear.

Yep.

I used it yesterday morning and it worked fine, no trick, and the shirt has already shipped. I believe they probably realized it was working on these items and then turned it off since it probably isn't supposed to be good on these colab pieces. Glad I got in before they turned it off.

• 2 months later...
http://hypebeast.com/2010/11/cone-mills-x-levis-505-limited-edition-jean/

anyone heard anything about these? look interesting

From last week...

Look what just showed up in the mail...

IMG_1217.jpg

IMG_1218.jpg

IMG_1219.jpg

IMG_1220.jpg

IMG_1221.jpg

IMG_1222.jpg

IMG_1223.jpg

We know that. Where to cop?

I have no idea, the box just showed up at my house.

I didn't even know they were for sale till i saw the Hypebeast post that Eugene put up.

I was under the impression they were a promo only release.

We know that. Where to cop?

from the HB post:

The Cone Mills x Levi’s 505 Limited Edition Jean is available exclusively through the Levi’s San Francisco flagship store and the new Levi’s Concept Store in New York City’s Meatpacking district. The jeans will retail for $178 USD.

the pair that kiya got has blank tab compared to the one posted on HB, interesting maybe kiya's are just for f&f ?

from the HB post:

The Cone Mills x Levi’s 505 Limited Edition Jean is available exclusively through the Levi’s San Francisco flagship store and the new Levi’s Concept Store in New York City’s Meatpacking district. The jeans will retail for $178 USD.

the pair that kiya got has blank tab compared to the one posted on HB, interesting maybe kiya's are just for f&f ?

There has always been a proportion of red tabs that are blank, since the 70s - it's for trademark reasons, to protect the tab itself.

I liek the fact these are a little e version, distinguishes them from LVC. iNtersting also because LVC use Kaihara for all their Sanforized denim - wonder how this will fade? (Wish the hems were chainstitched though)

There has always been a proportion of red tabs that are blank, since the 70s - it's for trademark reasons, to protect the tab itself.

Thanks for the info Paul T, im sorry this might be a duhh question, im not too well versed in trademark protection but how is that having blank red tabs protects the tab itself ?

If there is a red tab that says Levi's, the argument could be that the whole package is trademarked. I could argue that a red tab that says paul t is different, and I can put it on my competing range of jeans (with chainstitched hems).

If they can trademark the red tab itself, regardless of the writing on it, that stops anyone else using the red tab at all. That's what they've done, and the use of the red tab by itelf, with no writing, helps perpetuate this.

(IN fact, Levi's has even trademarked the idea of a tab sewn between two piece of cloth in some territtories - but in Japan, I presume it didn't act in time or else trademark law is different, which si why Japanese companies can use the red tab in Japan - but not the US or EUrope).