vacation advice superthread

eric2019

Quote: I will be travelling with my brother who is a professional accountant by trade so Amsterdam/smoking weed/doing drugs is out of the question.

What an awkward statement. So I guess visiting Japan is out of the question if you don't like sushi?

reporter: "what do you think about western civilization?"

gandhi: "i think it would be a good idea."

Edited by Tisswat on Jun 5, 2006 at 04:02 AM

Personally, I think Paris is the most amazing city in Europe.

Barcelona and Berlin are also well up there...

it really does depend what you want to see

The Alhambra in Granada is stunning if you are into that sort of thing ...

Guest Montreal

LOL.

With regards to the Amsterdam thing.. I have no business going there if I can't hit up the weed shops or anything like that. I'm from British Columbia so smoking doji is in my blood.

And like I said, I'm flying into Gatwick next Monday (the 12th).

I just want to see some beautiful cities. I figure I might as well take advantage of the fact that I'm in Europe. The trip was kind of spontaneous (I only booked and decided to go on this trip yesterday). I'm not there to shop (as hard as that is to believe).

Thanks for the responses.

There's a bit more to see in Amsterdam than going to a cafe and smoking, to be honest. The first time I went there, that's all I did.. but it's nice to walk around town and take in a bit of the atmosphere.

I say get a Eurail card and travel around Europe - www.raileurope.co.uk has some offers and shit, so go there and check it out.. You can go to various countries for a certain amount of time with just one rail card.. so you can go to France, Spain, Holland, Germany, wherever you please.

so i burnt a fire for a lost desire

PRAGUE........go there. Not really "western" Europe, but fun nonetheless. Croatia is also the shit; it is getting HUGE in terms of the tourist trade because it is fucking cheap as bollocks and is beautiful. Avoid Paris/London/Berlin; they are great cities, but as guys, you can always have more fun in developing countries......icon_smile_wink.gif Any flight you take is only going to be 3-4 hrs. max. so it doesn't matter if you only have 9 days......you can go anywhere in that time. Flights from 50 Euro to Prague if you are smart. Greece will be nice this summer as well.

Otherwise, there have been threads made on every city you can think of.....I just posted a big post on Dublin nightlife, etc. and there are tons of others. Pick a city, do a search.

Edited by englandmj7 on Jun 6, 2006 at 03:19 PM

• 3 weeks later...

i don't have a good opinion of london. get out as quickly as you can! canadians always go there because everyone speaks English... there's the rest of europe to discover! luckily there are many budget flights to get the hell out...

prague is full of too many tourists. i don't recommend it. or at least go during a low season... not recommended in the summer...

berlin

paris

krakow

rome

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I do...and I thought it looked exactly like a small stream off the upper Willowemoc. But now the Catskills is fucked with all the flooding. Plus Slovenia is so much cooler. Check this site out: http://www.flyfish-slovenia.com (on the right side there is a bar that has a drop down for English)

SiceI've only been to Mexican border towns, Mexico, no resort crap for me, something like Mexico city, maybe do some hard core volunteering. And I wouldn't fight visiting Egypt. (I'd pretty mcuh go anywhere that is swelteringly hot, but I wont touch a cold place)

And I wouldn't fight visiting Egypt. (I'd pretty mcuh go anywhere that is swelteringly hot, but I wont touch a cold place)

I lived in Cairo for 4 years; it was great back then but the overall temperament has changed alot as of late. The people aren't as happy/friendly towards westerners (as a result of the war, etc. I assume). Nonetheless, it is SO cheap there right now. Last time I went I stayed in several top class 5-star hotels for around $100 a night.

I still need to go to: Scandinavia, S. America, Australia, Croatia, Slovenia. These are all on my list for the next 5 years.

I lived in Cairo for 4 years; it was great back then but the overall temperament has changed alot as of late. The people aren't as happy/friendly towards westerners (as a result of the war, etc. I assume). Nonetheless, it is SO cheap there right now. Last time I went I stayed in several top class 5-star hotels for around $100 a night.

I still need to go to: Scandinavia, S. America, Australia, Croatia, Slovenia. These are all on my list for the next 5 years.

scandinavia is too expensive.....i wont ever go back after norway...sucked me dry.