Question on washing and breaking in?

DJ_Flame

• 5 months later...

What is the best way to go about rinsing all of the soap out of the denim before drying it out. I have more or less reached my desired effect of cleanliness with the wash I am doing right now, but when I let them sit for any sustained period of time to dry, soap will start to build up.

What is the best way to go about rinsing all of the soap out of the denim before drying it out. I have more or less reached my desired effect of cleanliness with the wash I am doing right now, but when I let them sit for any sustained period of time to dry, soap will start to build up.

Fill tub with cold water, soak jeans, repeat.

actually i about 2 weeks ago i dumped the jeans into the spin cycle in my washing machine with regular detergent and they (of course) lost the dry sheen, but they haven't lost alot of colour either.
I just threw my jeans in the washing machine for there first wash. I was going to soak them and do all that other special stuff, but at the end of the day they are just jeans. Im not the type of guy to baby my stuff, ill leave that for the pretty boys

I guess this question is kind of related, but, I've worn these jeans for about a week and I've decided I want them to shrink up a bit, as they are a bit much in the inseam department. I know that shrinking is usually what you guys do to shrink jeans, but im really paranoid about getting these wet. I don't want to do anything to remotely compromise the wearing process of these jeans, ie don't want indigo loss, dont want premature fading.

thanks

I guess this question is kind of related, but, I've worn these jeans for about a week and I've decided I want them to shrink up a bit, as they are a bit much in the inseam department. I know that shrinking is usually what you guys do to shrink jeans, but im really paranoid about getting these wet. I don't want to do anything to remotely compromise the wearing process of these jeans, ie don't want indigo loss, dont want premature fading.

thanks

One hot soak will be fine. Don't stress it TOO much ;)

I just threw my jeans in the washing machine for there first wash. I was going to soak them and do all that other special stuff, but at the end of the day they are just jeans. Im not the type of guy to baby my stuff, ill leave that for the pretty boys

Kind of a hypocritical response considering your on a forum specifically geared towards denim (which would include denim care).

just do a really super hot soak. dont worry. a scolding hot soak wont destroy your denim or take all the indigo out making it look white. just go for it. over the past few months i've discovered jeans will fade. You dont have to try to control it. theyre just jeans. wash themn how you like. I have used a washing machine for mine, i have soaked mine in hot water, warm water, cold water, and i have also soaked my sammurais in scolding hot water. They look great. I think i've done a total of 7 to 9 washes in 9 months.

Kind of a hypocritical response considering your on a forum specifically geared towards denim (which would include denim care).

im not knocking people who go all out for their clothes, it just goes against my personal style. I like function & style, not just style.

but im on the site to learn about different brands, styles, and to talk about clothes w/ others

Thanks guys.

Is it advisable to take a bath with my jeans on? will that help them not to shrink too much in the waist. these jeans are tagged as 28s, and if they shrink to an actual 28, im boned. I just want shrinkage in the inseam/ legs... so i was figuring on taking a 2 hour bath with them on. good idea or bad?

Thanks guys.

Is it advisable to take a bath with my jeans on? will that help them not to shrink too much in the waist. these jeans are tagged as 28s, and if they shrink to an actual 28, im boned. I just want shrinkage in the inseam/ legs... so i was figuring on taking a 2 hour bath with them on. good idea or bad?

You could do that if you want. Another alternative is soaking them for a while, then wearing while it dries. I've also heard of people sticking clothe hangers in the waist, but if you're willing to wear them in the bath, go for it.

I'm basically paranoid about getting these jeans wet in general.

Time to overcome my fear. in the bath I go. How long do I sit in the bath with my jeans on for maximum shrinkage?

Time to overcome my fear. in the bath I go. How long do I sit in the bath with my jeans on for maximum shrinkage?

just getting wet? what do you do when you get caught in the rain? Dont you want your jeans to reflect your life? Is your life really avoiding water and not cleaning them? I wouldnt really love the wear in my jeans if it was created in a artificial fashion (ie treating the jeans like they are something other than jeans)

Don't be afraid of getting them wet. I've worn my raw jeans in lots of autumn/winter rain storms and they've been completely soake in rain several times. It doesn't affect the fading at all, actually I think it makes them wear in a bit faster.

• 5 months later...

It's my first SOAK *edited okay*- it's now soaking in the hottest water I could juice out of tap, so how long should I leave it there soaking?

So yeah. Whatever

Thanks!

Thanks to me for bumping this thread! I should have used the small questions thread. I'm so brilliant.

Don't be afraid of getting them wet. I've worn my raw jeans in lots of autumn/winter rain storms and they've been completely soake in rain several times. It doesn't affect the fading at all, actually I think it makes them wear in a bit faster.

i needed a good wash, but i was avoided it, but then i walked to the barber shop, and on the way back i got soaked. so i said fuck it, and i took my sams off, hung them up on the clothing line, and let them rinse out in the rain for a day, and dry naturally...they were completely ruined, and the acid rain here in VA made some kind of pseudo vertical fading---sike, noobs they are just fine, they responded like a regular wash, cleaner, a bit more faded(in wear spots), and better fitting. as usual. if simple water exposure will ruin your jeans, youre not wearing a sufuturian sponsored brand.

yeah im over all the soaking now... when they are dirty or stretched out too much i just toss em in the washer with some woolite black and just throw em in the dryer as well, i guess i like how much they shrink back up after a nice wash and dryer combo. i usually dry it for 40 minutes on the hottest setting and do a hot/cold wash

• 3 months later...