supershaving

Vitamian

The real difference in shaving generally comes from the brush, not the straight razor. I myself cannot get into the straight razor game. I like cartridges. But using a fine badger brush makes a huge difference in the closeness of shaving.

The blade also makes quite a bit of difference. The cartridge affairs are designed to recut the hair several times, hence the name Mach III since I recall they have three blades. If used incorrectly, that can cause razor bumps and quite frankly, even if used correctly--especially if you have hard hair--it doesn't shave very well. It's all a bit of sly marketing.

A good DE blade such as a Feather will always be sharper than a good Straight Razor; however, the lack of a guard on a straight simply has the advantage over the DE since it can be manipulated to a greater extent. Indeed, the lip area is sometimes called the "coup de maitre".

Either way, a good badger hair brush--Super Badger--is essential for a good shave, as well as a good cream or soap.

• 3 weeks later...

my understanding is, and please correct me if I am wrong

that straight razors are bad for your skin.

the reason why I use a Gillette Fusion is that it is the least irritating for my skin.

if using a straight razor, or one of these, is better then I will switch over.

(stole this pic from somewhere)

shavepl8it8.jpg

I'd say on the contrary, straight razors are good for your skin because of the increased "exfoliating" effects of the blade. It's the cartridge razors that tend to cause things like razor bumps and acne.

There are several places on the internet that have visuals and videos that shows how one can use a straight razor.

I have wanted to try using one since my roommate and I went to a barber shop and had them do a professional shave with a straight razor. It was a pretty awesome experience.

How much of a difference in closeness is there between shaving with straight razor compared to single blade cartridge?

I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's my dream. That's my nightmare. Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a straight... razor... and surviving

Am I the only Apoc. Now, Marlon Brando fan? :P:P:P

Straight razor eh? I have thought about it... but it seems a bit scary as well.

my understanding is, and please correct me if I am wrong

that straight razors are bad for your skin.

the reason why I use a Gillette Fusion is that it is the least irritating for my skin.

if using a straight razor, or one of these, is better then I will switch over.

The problem with cartridge razors is that they breed bacteria and are way to hard to keep clean between such tightly set blades. I switched from a mach 3 down to cheapo twin blade razors that I felt fine throwing out every two shaves and noticed a drastic improvement in my skins health. I would imagine that a straight razors is much easier to keep clean and sanitize than a cartidge razor. I straight razor would give you much more control and handling around your face. I am still scared of them though.

I've got a few really good vintage razors I use. I have a lot that are past their shaving prime, if you will. I still have some old US made razors, but more for the fact that they are hard to find.

As far as shaving cream, I use the soap I use in the shower, and shave in the shower, after softening up stubble with very hot water. Works great, zero razor burn. I'll post pics of some razors soon.

The problem with cartridge razors is that they breed bacteria and are way to hard to keep clean between such tightly set blades. I switched from a mach 3 down to cheapo twin blade razors that I felt fine throwing out every two shaves and noticed a drastic improvement in my skins health. I would imagine that a straight razors is much easier to keep clean and sanitize than a cartidge razor. I straight razor would give you much more control and handling around your face. I am still scared of them though.

Hmmm...never thougt about that. It seems very logical though. Perhaps I should clean my razors more thouroughly and rotate more often.

• 4 weeks later...

ive been wanting to try using straigh razor for a while but dont know anything about sharpening them nor how to use it. ive been tempted to get a DE razor for the past couple of months because no matter what after i shave i still have damn stubble. i can say that it would suck to accidentally slit your throat from shaving but i have heard that most people practice on balloons, and that once they can shave a balloon with out popping it, they should be able to shave their face without cutting it..

ive been wanting to try using straigh razor for a while but dont know anything about sharpening them nor how to use it. ive been tempted to get a DE razor for the past couple of months because no matter what after i shave i still have damn stubble. i can say that it would suck to accidentally slit your throat from shaving but i have heard that most people practice on balloons, and that once they can shave a balloon with out popping it, they should be able to shave their face without cutting it..

same here, can't get a clean shave.

the idea of using a straight razor has been lingering for quite a while, but i'm afraid of cutting myself. Isn't the balloon shaving a complete bullcrap?

I was in the art of shaving today and the guy working there says he gets a better shave with a gillette fusion than a straight blade. So I don't understand the appeal..scars?

That person probably wanted to sell you one of their over-priced Art of Shaving branded cartridge razors.

Shaving with a straight is easy, but it takes time. Stropping is easy but you have to pay attention to what you're doing. Honing isn't easy, it's easy to fuck it up. If someone told you that that a straight is bad for your skin, kick him the balls, if this person is a woman push her in front of a train.

Shaving with a straight is easy, but it takes time. Stropping is easy but you have to pay attention to what you're doing. Honing isn't easy, it's easy to fuck it up. If someone told you that that a straight is bad for your skin, kick him the balls, if this person is a woman push her in front of a train.

Or cut them with a straight razor.

shavette_silber_neu.jpg

as im on a budget for the next little while, i decided on a dovo shavette.. gonna use that for a while, and try to find a nice set in japan or just go the full monty and treat myself to a dovo 7day set :D

atleast they'll be with me forever.. something to hand down to the kids n all!

Here are some of mine:

razors.jpg

The second from left was my old barber's. When he retired, he sold all of his stuff, including a couple of chairs from the 20's. He wouldn't sell this razor, though. I went to see if he wanted any help the next day, and he sold me this razor. It was the one he used. I also bought some of his older ones. I use it every once in a while. The cabinet they're in was his, too, and I also got a cool comb jar.

The Boker on the far right is the best one I have as far as shaving goes, with the bone handled razor in the middle a close second. The Thiers-Issard razors on the classicshaving.com website look like winners. I like this one, and will probably get one soon; it looks like a great, usable razor:

889_tort.jpg

I have a nice set that I bought from an Englishman. It is an old set composed of various vintage razors such as Puma, Garant Paris, etc. all contained in a custom leather and velvet box that can be locked.

I've heard that the Thiers-Issards have a dodgy gold wash.

I'd say on the contrary, straight razors are good for your skin because of the increased "exfoliating" effects of the blade. It's the cartridge razors that tend to cause things like razor bumps and acne.

There are several places on the internet that have visuals and videos that shows how one can use a straight razor.

Mind posting the links to the video?

I'm pretty bad at using straight razors and stuff since I cut myself the frist time so I just use an electrical razor instead. :o