SuperSoda - Appreciation of all things carbonated

JL77

Went to a restaurant in LA today called Soda Pop's. Great soda selection and amazing sandwiches. Will be returning. Went with two pals. We got these three:

I got the Flathead Lake Monster: Wild White Grape. Montana's Legendary Soda! It was surprisingly very grape and delicious even though the color looks like it would be pretty light.

img20101211193256.jpg

Friend 1 got Puma Kola. Very nice spicy cola. It's also 16oz while the other two were only 12oz. Jealous.

img20101211193535.jpg

Friend 2 got Girlan Pink Birch Beer. Looks like it would taste like bubble gum but it ended up being a delicious root beer like flavor.

img20101211193526.jpg

Puma Kola tastes highly similar to Vanilla Coke with a bit more of a bite. I approve.

And looking back at some of my pickups:

-Black Lemonade was not what I was expecting. It tastes like liquid Warhead candies before you can get down to the sweet centers. Not a fan.

-I've read on a couple sites that Sparky's is downright one of the best, but I've had two bottles now and can say that it was one of the worst root beers, heck even beverages, I've ever had. Taste buds will vary, but I found that this one was absolutely repulsive.

-Bulldog was the best overall root beer of the bunch. Available at Bevmo and Cost Plus/World Market iirc. Great brew.

-Sioux City Sarsaparilla is bomb too. Really crisp, nice bite, no cloying sweetness. Been a favorite since I had it for the first time at Knott's Berry Farm.

^Sparky's accentuates the less popular flavours of normal root beer. It's less sweet and has less vanilla flavour, and is more bitter and has more of a bite. It's not my favorite, but I do enjoy it at times especially in that huge bottle they sell it in.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Sidral Mundet is my jam. Any of your soda freaks, if you have't tried this you should seek it out asap. It's the perfect apple soda.

agreed.

It may not still be available, but for awhile I was addicted to Jones' Red Apple Soda, not as good as Sidral Mundet, and more expensive too but great in a pinch, or if you're far away from a grocer/taco truck.

Galco's sounds like a larger version of POPS

. One nice thing about POPS is that at any given time they have 2-300 varieties chilled and ready. And several hundred varieties of Root Beer. I am too big of a chicken to stray all that far from Virgils, its just damn good root beer.

Some of the more interesting/good things I've tried have been

Moxie- sort of liquorice-y, almost like ouzo without the booze.

Cheerwine- After Coca-Cola it's my favorite soda to drink ice-cold.

Delaware Punch- It isn't actually 'soda', as its non-carbonated... it was introduced during prohibition as a substitute to wine. So basically really sweet grape drink.

Faygo Rock and Rye- kind of like Big Red, but better MUCH better.

Received this special edition Virgil's as a Christmas gift and had it with my dinner tonight. It was really really good and the bottle is going to make a nice addition to my collection.

IMAG0015.jpg

Pickups from today's Mexican store shopping. Verde Sidral is better than the original, imo. The green has the more tart green apple taste I like. Excited for the Mexican cola. The store I went to didn't have it yet when I was there last month.

33Lsu.jpg

no one seems to have posted Dry Soda yet so here it is! First saw this on a tv show, possibly on the Food network, or on How It's Made. Was intrigued by their concept... Cola that isn't necessarily sweet but can be selected and paired with certain meals.

So far I've had the lavender and lemon grass flavors all found locally.

drys.jpg

http://www.drysoda.com/

I've been sucking down Pineapple soda lately. Jarritos is the top dog. There are others, but Jarritos is driving home the point of what Mexican Coke drinkers have known for a long time: Natural sugar tastes better.

31JMXMTPDGL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

legit. I was about to make this thread since i've been on fancy/craft sodas for a while now. I don't drink soda daily, so when I do have one, I like something good.

f9p3ih.jpg

Just tried these out. I am always biased towards orange cream (my fav soda of all time), but the vanilla cream is good too. I've had better rootbeers(I once got a craft brew made in some dudes barn. was intense), but this one is still very good. Ginger ale is really not my thing. I can't find black cherry around, but I figure it's just as good as the others.

oivfnp.jpg

This is my fav if I want something for energy. It's got a different taste, but I really enjoy it. With the ginseng, you get a lot of energy without a crash later. Keeps you mentally sharp.

I don't have a list of what I've had or anything, but I've tried pretty much everything I've come across. Fuck you dudes who can go to galco's.

I'm becoming more of a fan of natural tasting sodas. vamp that DG Kola looks like it would taste fake/processed. I find myself looking at the labels to see if they use HFCS or real sugar. The sodas that use natural sugar are generally better, in my opinion. Had this at Soda Pops yesterday. Thought it was pretty dang good. Tasted really natural and had an interesting aftertaste. I recommend.

chinacola.jpg

If I recall correctly, the DG Kola Champagne does have natural sugar.

Like, it's got the smooth taste from the sugar, but then you also get the fake flavor. It's a unique taste.

I could probably drink that Ting soda like every week though... so good, really refreshing.

It's got that grapefruit pulp mixed in which is great

mexican coke is easier to find than any craft cola and everyone knows the brand already.

copped a thomas kemper sampler 6-pack. I liked it. Their ginger ale has a weird flavor to it, but I enjoyed it. They also have a blood orange soda I've copped 6-packs of a few times.

drinking a pineapple jarritos right now.