skateboarding saved my life

Thanks, I appreciate it. Heroin decks look real nice, too bad the shop back home doesn't stock em.

Cheap, my local shop does make decks but they're really terrible.  

Edited by Schoon

Pretty much all $50 decks are gonna be nice. Just find a shape you like and try to choose a company you can get behind. If that's a local shop or company then that's all the better, but mall brands like Element and Plan B don't need anymore money. If you buy a pro deck, then maybe try to support a pro that doesn't have a giant shoe deal. 

Oh yeah I meant the shop back in my hometown. I haven't had a chance to visit any shops in Philly yet, plus all this cold and snow makes skating the last thing on my mind lately

Edit:  Can i get some kickflip tips?  I can flip the board but can't seem to get the timing right.  Should i flip it on the way up or wait til i get to the peak of the ollie? 

Edited by Schoon

One thing you can do is scratch a line in your grip going diagonally thru the bolts of the front truck... That's the path your foot should follow when flicking to get the perfect flip. Your toe should follow that line off the edge of the nose

Edited by cheapmuthaflufr

Thanks for the help guys.  jonny i hadn't heard that before but now that i think about it it makes a lot of sense.  I'll put those tips into action when there isn't snow and salt on the ground. summer can't come soon enough 

• 2 weeks later...

Push around. A lot. Push switch sometimes. Bomb hills. Get comfortable with riding at a decent speed, and slowing/stopping.

Ride your trucks as loose as you comfortably can.

Learn to fall.

Watch skate videos. Old ones, new ones. Eastern Exposure 3, Animal Chin, Yeah Right, Mouse, Jump Off a Building.

Find your local skate spots, street or park. When starting out, go early, before the regulars show up, but stick around and watch them skate, too.

Don't quit when you can't kickflip immediately.

Learn to fall.

Most important in my opinion.  If you get frustrated about not landing a kickflip, just be glad you're not injured and unable to skate. 

What's more important than learning tricks right off the bat is to make sure that you can comfortable skate from one place to another fast with no problems. By learning how to move with your board, it's much easier to learn tricks and find out which you enjoy more. Skating your garage is fun at times since it's smooth, but it's much more different when you're going faster or on a rougher ground/hill. 

xpost from post ur creations

I6TDOvp.jpg

Does anybody have any tips for somebody that is looking to start skating for the first time in the spring, once the snow melts?

I'm 18 and athletic if that matters.

Find some people who skate and learn from them. Do any of your friends skate?

Watch some online trick tutorials, and be patient, it will come. 

Dont be afraid to fall, look dumb, or whatever, your out there trying and thats all that matters. 

Edited by EG562

I'm close.  I can flip it every time but chickenfoot is hard to overcome.  Haven't had much practice though, there's been ice on the roads for months :/

deng du', juss try 2 keep at it (if weather permits) 

If the case is that you're scared of the board leaving both of your feet, try getting down pop/shove-it's and varial kickflips since they're pretty easy.