what are you reading today?

almondcrush

if i may, i suggest skipping godot, beckett's plays are so frequently staged that it is a better use of time to read his novels------which are excellent!

totally! beckett is so good. read beckett and then go to a robert smithson exhibit, and realize how mind-blowingly intelligent and similar these two comtemporaries were while working in completely different mediums.

they were on a different level. it's a shame minimalism has been so corrupted since the 60's.

ah ok, yeah, ive started godot and it doesnt seem that gripping as a read play, maybe it just me, but im sure beckett plays are being put on all the time. Ill look forward to a modern twist of beckettXloyde webber, ahem...

Ive already got my eye on that trilogy, everyman, my favourite publisher at the mo, publishes it, mmmm that will be a nice purchase.

Rob Smithson was such a don, i used to really like him, have never seen a retrospective of him, just odd pieces. With some of his pieces they're just so pure and rounded and complete- conceptually. Im abit more reserved now since I realised land art and institutional critique was enveloped by the machine, yeah kinda undermining. But yeah, smithson- what a don, I love good blokey hetero artists.

EDIT: wow, yeah, every other word is yeah....

ah ok, yeah, ive started godot and it doesnt seem that gripping as a read play, maybe it just me, but im sure beckett plays are being put on all the time. Ill look forward to a modern twist of beckettXloyde webber, ahem...

Ive already got my eye on that trilogy, everyman, my favourite publisher at the mo, publishes it, mmmm that will be a nice purchase.

Rob Smithson was such a don, i used to really like him, have never seen a retrospective of him, just odd pieces. With some of his pieces they're just so pure and rounded and complete- conceptually. Im abit more reserved now since I realised land art and institutional critique was enveloped by the machine, yeah kinda undermining. But yeah, smithson- what a don, I love good blokey hetero artists.

EDIT: wow, yeah, every other word is yeah....

hmmm... not really sure i'd describe any minimalist work (inluding Beckett) as "gripping". I liked DDML's comment about it turning your brain into pudding, though, such a good feeling! like reading Deluze (who hasn't been mentioned and IMO is awesome, in the true sense of the word). If you're into art at all "The Fold" is crazy...

just a tiny bit more on smithson. they had a retrospective of him at the Whtiney last year, and although the general public towards the land art/spiral jetty exhibits, the earlier stuff, the "non-sites" are incredible...

interesting swisloc, yeah deleuze is interesting, although I have never read a whole book by him Ive been taught a bit, the fold is an extremely interesting notion, also I love how he uses biological terms to illustrate a concept....

Smithsons minimalist/conceptual work is far more interesting for me, I dont know if you have ever seen "infinite regression with mirror vortex" ( or something along those lines ). Its a frightfully "whole" piece, makes me gulp, where can you go from there.

Maybe the artists thread should be bumped eh??

hmmm... not really sure i'd describe any minimalist work (inluding Beckett) as "gripping". I liked DDML's comment about it turning your brain into pudding, though, such a good feeling!

maybe not as a text, but i actually find beckett gripping when placed on stage. likewise harold pinter...not in the conventional sense of course but there's something that holds me down in my seat when i watch pinter.

i figured it was the time in my life when i go buy

the catcher in the rye

not that i actually want to read it,

but i feel its my adolescent obligation to read it.

i actually dont want to read it, because im fucking sick of every fucking person on the earth comparing themselves to holden caufield

but i feel bad bitching about it

if i havent actually read the book.

9 stories was good though.

The semester has ended (straight A's!) so i'm finally on to some pleasure reading.

i'm currently halfway through this:

954ab220dca0395c83815010.L.jpg

in the first half he gives a pretty interesting analysis of 19th century manchester, ala Engels, but rather than reify some "invisible hand" of oppression he gives a systems theory explanation.

• 2 weeks later...