what are you reading today?

almondcrush

finished harry potter and the chamber of secrets last night and will probably start prisoner of azkaban tonight. probably will read 'angels and demons' and then 'the da vinci code' after i finish that. i figured i'd go back and read the first 3 harry potter books over out of pure boredom and having not read them since they came out.

During past few days: re-read first 4 HP books (and realized just how bad the last movie was F-ed up), been reading 'Sanford Meisner on Acting' and 'Perfume: The Story of a Murderer'. Also finally finished Shakespeare's full collected works, damn huge book—been at it for six months (obviously with some breaks in between, etc.).

re-reading 1984 by Orwell

read before that: On the Road by Jack Kerouac

going to read: Naked Lunch

really getting into the beat poets

i dig your reading list.

may i suggest reading "junky" before "naked lunch"? makes for a more natural progression.

also, check out "a voice through the clouds" by denton welch, burroughs' favorite author

The Human Stain by Philip Roth. Excellent thus far.

i love philip roth.

i married a communist, human stain and american pastoral are probably my favourites...his style can be a bit self-indulgent and sometimes i fall asleep to his words but damn, he's good.

seraphim - i like the book (and the writer) too! great sense of humour and his imagination and clarity adds real interest to what might otherwise be a very dry series of lectures.

i love philip roth.

i married a communist, human stain and american pastoral are probably my favourites...his style can be a bit self-indulgent and sometimes i fall asleep to his words but damn, he's good.

his work has definitely aged the best out of the group of 50's/60's male novelists (Roth, Heller, Bellow, Updike, etc.). They all started with such a similar style (dim-witted misogyny fo rthe most part), but roth really became a well rounded writer in his later work...the American Pastoral series kicks the shit out of the Rabbit Novels (Updike) imo.

re-reading Ulyses by Joyce right now, amongst other things and the NYTimes.

i dig your reading list.

may i suggest reading "junky" before "naked lunch"? makes for a more natural progression.

also, check out "a voice through the clouds" by denton welch, burroughs' favorite author

thnx man, just bought junky! and also stumbled upon the complete and illustrated works by oscar wilde, reading picture of dorian gray atm, great book!

i'll continue with junky after and planning on reading crime and punishment by dostoevsky

haha sounds good man, who knows, maybe one day we will find ourselves in a little pub in some literary district of a big city, where the air trembles with smoke and we will discuss the complex character of dean moriarty or the extravagant dandyism of oscar wilde or the existentialism of raskalnikov........

his work has definitely aged the best out of the group of 50's/60's male novelists (Roth, Heller, Bellow, Updike, etc.). They all started with such a similar style (dim-witted misogyny fo rthe most part), but roth really became a well rounded writer in his later work...the American Pastoral series kicks the shit out of the Rabbit Novels (Updike) imo.

i actually prefer updike's poetry to his prose...he does have these moments of wonderful clarity.

bought nietzche's beyond good and evil, looks like that will be up next after forster.

DDML- ahh, la petit mort!!! That looks like a fascinating book. Im currently on the Fall by Camus but it hasnt grabbed me the same way his others have. On the Dostoevsky tip- he keeps popping up everywhere, and I keep meaning to buy a book, is there on particular novel that ought to be read first or is the best dostoevsky entrance read???????

Im curious about the tale of genji, anyone read this? opinions??

viv, read "notes from underground" first; a very quick read. will give you the full flavor and will entice you to read more. then read Crime and Punishment. then Brothers Karamazov. from there, you are on your own. i read DEMONS, that was very good, of course. but i haven't read THE IDIOT

interesting, i would have gone straight to demons, but when I read up on him they all look so vital.......thanks man, ill look into "notes from.." , man, I have yet to finish camus then im on "waiting for godot" then a p k dick book, and I still want to get my hands on "a happy death", and I know ill get dorian gray and others for christmas...... guhdamn so many books...... er so "notes from underground" will be added to the list.

yeah. i asked satan for nothing but sci-fi: gibson, dick and noon.

if i may, i suggest skipping godot, beckett's plays are so frequently staged that it is a better use of time to read his novels------which are excellent! i've read the trilogy of molloy, malone dies, and the unnameable. good stuff! it will turn your brain into pudding. that reminds me, i should read "murphy"