buy your superad here !!

Photo
- - - - -

Moscow and St. Petersburg in June - recommendations?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 cb_jones

cb_jones

bored

• Pip
  • 27 posts
  • joined 19 november 05

Posted 06 March 2006 - 05:59 PM

I'm hitting Moscow and St. Petersburg in June (4 guys from Vancouver), just wanted to see what the superfuture crew could suggest as far as what's not to be missed, outside of the major attractions, which of course we'll be checking.

Thanks --->

#2 cb_jones

cb_jones

bored

• Pip
  • 27 posts
  • joined 19 november 05

Posted 05 June 2006 - 07:01 PM

I'm out next week - just thought I'd try to resurrect this one - any suggestions would be well appreciated...

#3 andreas

andreas

supertravel supereditor

• Pip
  • 155 posts
  • joined 21 october 03
  • style:old skool
  • denim:size 30

Posted 05 June 2006 - 07:22 PM

So...what are you exactly into?

#4 cb_jones

cb_jones

bored

• Pip
  • 27 posts
  • joined 19 november 05

Posted 06 June 2006 - 02:11 AM

Thanks for the reply... We're into interesting places to eat/drink, art, architecture, cool shops (not clothing, more stuff uniquely Russian) - I know this is very broad - we're down with pretty much anything. I guess I'm looking to hear about things you can't get from a tour guide, you know? Stuff that you were blown away by, that you think is not to be missed...

#5 andreas

andreas

supertravel supereditor

• Pip
  • 155 posts
  • joined 21 october 03
  • style:old skool
  • denim:size 30

Posted 08 June 2006 - 03:57 PM

I should say that I haven't been back to Moscow since January 2005. Everything changes so fast there, dozens of new clubs, stores, art galleries etc. open and close each month, it's hard to keep track. Still, there are some cool places which will stay popular such as club Propaganda, a funky low-key club in the Kitai Gorod area. When I'm there I always ask friends what's hot at the moment and I always buy the latest copy of Russian Afisha magazine which features listings of all events in town (you should learn to decipher the Cyrillic script otherwise it's pretty useless) or get me a free copy of English-language Go magazine which is available at most cool hangouts in town like Propaganda. It's full of the latest cool spot info.

#6 cb_jones

cb_jones

bored

• Pip
  • 27 posts
  • joined 19 november 05

Posted 09 June 2006 - 05:41 PM

Thanks andreas, I'll grab a copy of Go as soon as I get there... Less than a week - can't wait!

#7 englandmj7

englandmj7

postwhore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,817 posts
  • joined 28 july 05

Posted 10 June 2006 - 12:09 AM

If you want a REAL thrill:

Go up to the dude with the most gold on that you can possibly find, slap him, say: "Hooyesos" and take his girlfriend.........

It will be AWESOME.

#8 keyko

keyko

superbored

• Pip
  • 311 posts
  • joined 18 january 06

Posted 10 June 2006 - 06:43 AM

england - any first hand experience of doing that before? Hooyesos means literally "cocksucker" in Russian. If you done that and survived - you are the man.
Alien vs Predator, Freddie vs Jason, Nudie vs A.P.C.

.... the uniformity of your 'fits' (particularly the way they fit) are indicative of an uncreative rigid individual trapped within robotic patterns of conspicuous consumption. your ignorance is further evinced by the fact that you criticized my raf simons jacket ....

#9 cb_jones

cb_jones

bored

• Pip
  • 27 posts
  • joined 19 november 05

Posted 11 June 2006 - 12:35 AM

Cool, maybe I'll try that one on a cop - I hear Russian police have a great sense of humour...

#10 Analyst

Analyst

superbored

• Pip
  • 561 posts
  • joined 18 march 05

Posted 21 June 2006 - 08:54 AM

It's been a few years, actually 13 years to be exact, since I was in Moscow. My favorite place to go on the weekends was actually Izmaylovsky Park or Izmailovo Park, a wooded park similiar to Washington Square Park in NYC. Here, on the weekends, people would set up kiosks to sell everything from WWII medals to night-vision (second generation) to toys to matrioskya dolls to military hardware.

As souvenirs, I bought a MIG 29 flight helmet, numerous Nazi Germany WWII medals including an Iron Cross Second Class, Russian WWII medals (at the time didn't have enough cash for the Order of Lenin, equivalent to the Medal of Honor), several night vision scopes and other nick nacks.

I'd love to visit Moscow and St. Petersburg again.

#11 poly800rock

poly800rock

postwhore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,040 posts
  • joined 09 september 04

Posted 21 June 2006 - 05:16 PM

jesus christ analyst, is there anywhere in the world you havent been?

#12 Analyst

Analyst

superbored

• Pip
  • 561 posts
  • joined 18 march 05

Posted 22 June 2006 - 05:55 AM

Been dying to check out the Balkans and more of Eastern Europe. For the short term, I'm going to be in Southeast Asia for while. Should be an exciting time to be here.

Miles to Go Before I Sleep