Singapore

martin weathers

Hi

I've posted in Supershopper bout shopping but just wondered if anyone had tips for places to eat, drink,etc... in Sinapore? We'll be staying in the Scarlet Hotel for 4 days over a weekend and will probably head down to Attica on the Saturday night... Other than that been told to check the hawker food stalls out. Any tips gratefully received!

Thanks

Martin.

some hole in the wall spot inside Far East Plaza that serves the MEANEST chicken rice on the 3rd floor (i think)..... so mean, they sell out before the afternoon. go early or else you have to buy it from a reseller for rape prices on ebay. better yet, just camp out overnight.

i'm serious shit sells out within 4 hours EVERY DAY.

My friends were on Circular Rd, where you can find nice food.

Food is everywhere in Singapore, and its so cheap.

Far East Plaza (theres two east plazas) also has some kool clothing stores, like Surrender and Ambush. Same floor as the Chicken Rice I think.

Here is a picture on my friend Caine eating the chicken rice at the Far East Plaza.

chicken_rice.jpg

http://www.peaceforsale.com

Quote:

My friends were on Circular Rd, where you can find nice food.

Food is everywhere in Singapore, and its so cheap.

Far East Plaza (theres two east plazas) also has some kool clothing stores, like Surrender and Ambush. Same floor as the Chicken Rice I think.

Here is a picture on my friend Caine eating the chicken rice at the Far East Plaza.

chicken_rice.jpg

--- Original message by miketan on Feb 19, 2006 03:58 PM

thats the one, brother.

youre making me cry right now. hands down the best chicken rice on earth.icon_smile_dead.gif

• 1 year later...
Opposite the Scarlett Hotel, Maxwell hawker centre serves the best chicken rice in singapore, even Anthony Bourdain has tried it. Also many other nice food in that hawker centre

Really really over-rated. Lined up more than 30 minutes on a hot Saturday for that amidst tables full of dirty dirty plates. Had it and dont see the fuss. Think there are others more worthy chicken rice outlets on the island. Doesnt speak much of Bourdain or his tour guide if he recommends it.

Why, just a stone's throw from there, there is a stall that sells chicken rice at the princely sum of only $2 a plate, which is US$1.20 only.

Newton Circus has some decent local fare... bbq stingray, hokkien mee, chill crab... Not the best there is and a tad touristy but it's convenient and scores of locals like me hang out there pretty often. Liang Seah St has good food, try Va! Va! Voom! or something like that near Raffles Hotel for nice Vietnamese nosh. Chomp Chomp at Serangoon Garden is not bad, but skip it if you're going Newton Circus.

www.aziacity.com has a pretty helpful local restaurant/cafe/eatery guide/search function.

You have to try Katong laksa at Katong! Punggol Nasi Lemak too...

A couple of mentions where to find good Hainanese chicken rice, but the average chicken rice stall is pretty satisfactory too really...

Hope this helps!

Newton Circus has some decent local fare... bbq stingray, hokkien mee, chill crab... Not the best there is and a tad touristy but it's convenient and scores of locals like me hang out there pretty often. Liang Seah St has good food, try Va! Va! Voom! or something like that near Raffles Hotel for nice Vietnamese nosh. Chomp Chomp at Serangoon Garden is not bad, but skip it if you're going Newton Circus.

www.aziacity.com has a pretty helpful local restaurant/cafe/eatery guide/search function.

You have to try Katong laksa at Katong! Punggol Nasi Lemak too...

A couple of mentions where to find good Hainanese chicken rice, but the average chicken rice stall is pretty satisfactory too really...

Hope this helps!

For god's sake, dnot go to Newton.

The food is nothing special, it cost more than in other places. There is no special ambiance to it.

I understand some guide books would recommend this. But any tourist would be better off going to other seafood joints in other hawker centres.