foreign exchange program

samsikle

i'm thinking of joining this foreign exchange program and it's just basic stuff about living with a new family, experiencing a new culture, history, etc. we have to "promote international understanding" but the thing is i don't know where i want to go to.. do you guys have any feedback on the choices? i can pick from:

australia, austria, belgium, denmark, finland, germany, italy, netherlands, norway, sweden, switzerland, or japan.

and also consider places to shop in the country.. thanks!

I did the Youth For Understanding Program the summer before starting college. Fully paid for program in Japan for three months. No parents, obligations, debt, and worries. Just unbridled freedom for a summer to discover myself and go crazy. Highly recommend it. www.yfu.org/

You basically apply to specific programs in different parts of Japan. Depending on the scholarship/program to apply, you'll be in a different area in Japan. The same goes for other countries I believe.

I've been to the each of the countries you listed for differing amounts of time, and as long as you don't get dropkicked to outback Australia for three months, each one will give you a hella load to laugh at and live up to. Beyond that, IMO if you're just looking at it as a shopping opportunity you're completely missing the point, but bear in mind all the countries you listed are small enough to travel around very easily and relatively cheaply.

I wouldn't say that travelling around Japan is cheap. But sybaritical is right on the shopping point: Foreign exchange programs are really about getting out of your element. I was shipped to a small coastal city but loved every minute of it.

Quote: australia, austria, belgium, denmark, finland, germany, italy, netherlands, norway, sweden, switzerland, or japan

It's a tough one. If you pick a country in Europe, you can probably see most of the countries in your list. I live in Amsterdam and I can fly anywhere in Europe for E100 or less. For example, flying to London takes about 45 minutes - fares E20 and up. I can drive to Paris in about 4 to 5 hours. Italy is about 2 hours by plane.

Australia is great, because it's huge and offers everything from tropical rainforest to desert. It's heaven for outdoor freaks.. it's huge too.

Personally I would go for Japan. Yes it may be the most expensive in your list, but maximum culture shock.

Reporter: "What do you think about western civilization?"

Gandhi: "I think it would be a good idea."

Edited by Tisswat on Dec 16, 2005 at 03:42 AM

Quote:
Quote: australia, austria, belgium, denmark, finland, germany, italy, netherlands, norway, sweden, switzerland, or japan

It's a tough one. If you pick a country in Europe, you can probably see most of the countries in your list. I live in Amsterdam and I can fly anywhere in Europe for E100 or less. For example, flying to London takes about 45 minutes - fares E20 and up. I can drive to Paris in about 4 to 5 hours. Italy is about 2 hours by plane.

Australia is great, because it's huge and offers everything from tropical rainforest to desert. It's heaven for outdoor freaks.. it's huge too.

Personally I would go for Japan. Yes it may be the most expensive in your list, but maximum culture shock.

--- Original message by Tisswat on Dec 16, 2005 03:37 AM

which country in europe do you suggest?

It's a difficult question, because it depends on your personal preferences and what you want to do. And besides that every country is unique and has great things to offer. The fact that you can't pick what city you end up in makes it especially difficult! For example the Bayern area in south Germany is probably the opposite of a city like Berlin - currently considered the culture/style capitol of Europe. I would definitely want to live in Berlin, but not in 'Kirchholz', south Germany (pop. 3500) for example. See what I'm saying?

Personally I would go for either Italy, Denmark or The Netherlands. However my opinion is obviously biased. :)

Reporter: "What do you think about western civilization?"

Gandhi: "I think it would be a good idea."

Quote:

Is Berlin really considered the cultural/style captial of Europe now? Just curious...

--- Original message by djrajio on Dec 18, 2005 06:31 AM

fuck off..

aha... nah its a cool city.. but i dont think you can really refer to a europe like its a single country.. its very diverse.. and most of the bigger cities in each country have a lot going on..

i think thats one of the major plus sides to living in a country in europe.. its easy to travel around, and theres so many great places to check out..