usa :: new york :: general

Analyst

For anybody who went to Mitsuwa on Memorial Day weekend, the real star of the show was obviously the Kuru Kuru Takoyaki. Straight up delicious. It's been so long since I've had decent takoyaki in Osaka (since 2001!) and the places in NYC just don't really hit the spot. Kuru Kuru made my weekend. I tried the Chibakiya ramen too and thought it was decent at best.

the bus ride is quite pleasant. only about 20-25 minutes. also, the bus itself is very comfortable and the ride is scenic. finding the bus stop is another matter, it's hidden deep in the under belly of port authority. just look for all the waiting japanese people.

i concur with everyone on the chibaki-ya ramen. very average, but that's what it's famous for--being really regular.

Got the name mixed up, i meant Setaga-ya.

They opened today, grand opening is Friday.

I went today and had a chashuu shio ramen- brief review.

Good broth - good complexity. probably the strength of the dish.

Decent chashuu - well cooked, well flavored, soft and tender. (not as good as toroniku at santoka

Good hanjyuku (half cooked) egg - nice color, soft, right degree of gooeyness.

not so great noodle - it was bit too soft, and not enough 'bounce' to it. they claim to use three different thickness for a unique effect, didn't see it or feel it.

overall, it's a decent alternative, if someone is looking for a good shio-ramen, i'd suggest it. but since they only do shio-ramen, and their menu is somewhat limited, i am not sure how they will catch on. I'd say santoka is still the top dog in the area.

cg

Talked to a coworker who also went last night, she told me the noodles were extremely hard which is exact opposite of what I got.

She sat at the counter and observed the guys working, she commented that there weren't really functioning too well as a team, lots of waisted movement, time....and that waitresses were very unorganized.

I noticed that about the waitresses but didn't see the dudes working, i guess it's gonna take some time before they iron out all the kinks

Talked to a coworker who also went last night, she told me the noodles were extremely hard which is exact opposite of what I got.

She sat at the counter and observed the guys working, she commented that there weren't really functioning too well as a team, lots of waisted movement, time....and that waitresses were very unorganized.

I noticed that about the waitresses but didn't see the dudes working, i guess it's gonna take some time before they iron out all the kinks

this reminds me of the scene in tampopo where they observe two master ramen chefs in their booth. no wasted movements, both chefs working in perfect coordination.

^ funny.

this is usually why i try not to get too anxious about going to an eatery that has just opened. it seems it could take weeks until they get used to the operation and bring some consistency.

but thanks for the review. hard to wait for my turn.

this reminds me of the scene in tampopo where they observe two master ramen chefs in their booth. no wasted movements, both chefs working in perfect coordination.

after watching tampopo i made omurice for the first time! can't tell how authentic mine was but i can cook the eggs now so that it oozes out from a cut down the middle, just like the movie.

i went to setaga-ya today for their grand opening...it was pretty crowded. had the chirashu, it was good...could have been much better though. i like minca better i think. i thought the broth at setaga-ya was excellent, extremely complex but i thought the noodles and the pork weren't the best. the noodles were a bit overcooked and there wasn't enough actual meat on the pork imo. the egg was perfectly cooked, gooey, unlike minca's which is always overcooked. i'd like to see what others think of it.

i went to setaga-ya today for their grand opening...it was pretty crowded. had the chirashu, it was good...could have been much better though. i like minca better i think. i thought the broth at setaga-ya was excellent, extremely complex but i thought the noodles and the pork weren't the best. the noodles were a bit overcooked and there wasn't enough actual meat on the pork imo. the egg was perfectly cooked, gooey, unlike minca's which is always overcooked. i'd like to see what others think of it.

DSC03286.jpg

Setaga-ya was cool. Pretty long line but I thought it was worth it. I agree that Minca is overall a bit better, but Setaga-ya has its perks.I got the shio ramen and I thought they're noodles were fine but I agree that the pork wasn't that great. It had an okay flavor but it wasn't as tender as the one in Minca. The broth was good, but I personally prefer the heavier broth at Mincas to the lighter one at Setaga-ya, but I didn't mind it too much.

In the end, I'll probably just go to Setaga-ya a bit more often than minca just 'cause its not as out of the way as Minca is.

almond, you know that it's pretty easy to make? but yeah, why make it when you can eat it at kenka and enjoy cheap beer on tap with your friends.

They make it real greesy there. But it's tasty nevertheless. They even top it off with mayo. Figure eating a days worth of it should give you a heart attack.

minca...out of the way? its like 8 blocks away.

DSC03286.jpg

Setaga-ya was cool. Pretty long line but I thought it was worth it. I agree that Minca is overall a bit better, but Setaga-ya has its perks.I got the shio ramen and I thought they're noodles were fine but I agree that the pork wasn't that great. It had an okay flavor but it wasn't as tender as the one in Minca. The broth was good, but I personally prefer the heavier broth at Mincas to the lighter one at Setaga-ya, but I didn't mind it too much.

In the end, I'll probably just go to Setaga-ya a bit more often than minca just 'cause its not as out of the way as Minca is.

• 2 weeks later...

Setagaya was alright, I wasnt too crazy about the noodles, although they were chewy. I liked their eggs, broth and chashu.

I don't see it as a place I would crave to go to all the time even though I prefer lighter shio broths over tonkotsu

well momofuku deserves its own thread, bowls of shit should not belong in a ramen thread