1885 replies to this topic

#331 peteyross

peteyross

superbored

• Pip
  • 492 posts
  • joined 16 november 04

Posted 07 June 2007 - 12:04 AM

For anybody who went to Mitsuwa on Memorial Day weekend, the real star of the show was obviously the Kuru Kuru Takoyaki. Straight up delicious. It's been so long since I've had decent takoyaki in Osaka (since 2001!) and the places in NYC just don't really hit the spot. Kuru Kuru made my weekend. I tried the Chibakiya ramen too and thought it was decent at best.

#332 DaBestSpoona

DaBestSpoona

superfreak

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,044 posts
  • joined 04 february 05
  • style:cosplay
  • talents:Fingerbang on first dates

Posted 07 June 2007 - 07:48 PM

I didnt like the ramen too much either

those sweet yam fries dipped in syrup and almonds were good

#333 corporategrunt

corporategrunt

superbored

• Pip
  • 271 posts
  • joined 06 november 06

Posted 07 June 2007 - 08:02 PM

damn it to hell with so many of you guys getting out there!! do you all have cars? or did you guys patiently rode the bus from port authority?

#334 DaBestSpoona

DaBestSpoona

superfreak

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,044 posts
  • joined 04 february 05

Posted 07 June 2007 - 08:16 PM

drive, look for a big yellow Escalade next time

#335 corporategrunt

corporategrunt

superbored

• Pip
  • 271 posts
  • joined 06 november 06

Posted 07 June 2007 - 08:23 PM

that is a nice option for sure. I thought about getting out there, but I just couldn't muster enough will power to check the bus schedule, take the subway, take the bus, etc etc. not to mention the groceries I'd be carrying on the way back.

#336 mizanation

mizanation

postwhore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,201 posts
  • joined 31 march 06

Posted 07 June 2007 - 08:46 PM

the bus ride is quite pleasant. only about 20-25 minutes. also, the bus itself is very comfortable and the ride is scenic. finding the bus stop is another matter, it's hidden deep in the under belly of port authority. just look for all the waiting japanese people.

i concur with everyone on the chibaki-ya ramen. very average, but that's what it's famous for--being really regular.

#337 corporategrunt

corporategrunt

superbored

• Pip
  • 271 posts
  • joined 06 november 06

Posted 12 June 2007 - 01:00 AM

This may be an item of interest to some of you, Santoka is opening this Wednesday, their grand opening is on Friday. Walked by the spot today after work and asked one of the dude that works there (wasn't too pleased about him smoking right outside the shop but oh well)

#338 corporategrunt

corporategrunt

superbored

• Pip
  • 271 posts
  • joined 06 november 06

Posted 14 June 2007 - 02:32 AM

Got the name mixed up, i meant Setaga-ya.

They opened today, grand opening is Friday.

I went today and had a chashuu shio ramen- brief review.

Good broth - good complexity. probably the strength of the dish.
Decent chashuu - well cooked, well flavored, soft and tender. (not as good as toroniku at santoka
Good hanjyuku (half cooked) egg - nice color, soft, right degree of gooeyness.

not so great noodle - it was bit too soft, and not enough 'bounce' to it. they claim to use three different thickness for a unique effect, didn't see it or feel it.

overall, it's a decent alternative, if someone is looking for a good shio-ramen, i'd suggest it. but since they only do shio-ramen, and their menu is somewhat limited, i am not sure how they will catch on. I'd say santoka is still the top dog in the area.

cg

#339 mizanation

mizanation

postwhore

• 5,201 posts
  • joined 31 march 06

Posted 14 June 2007 - 02:48 AM

hmmm. haven't had a good shio ramen in a long time. will check it out and give a review....

#340 corporategrunt

corporategrunt

superbored

• Pip
  • 271 posts
  • joined 06 november 06

Posted 14 June 2007 - 03:17 PM

Talked to a coworker who also went last night, she told me the noodles were extremely hard which is exact opposite of what I got.

She sat at the counter and observed the guys working, she commented that there weren't really functioning too well as a team, lots of waisted movement, time....and that waitresses were very unorganized.

I noticed that about the waitresses but didn't see the dudes working, i guess it's gonna take some time before they iron out all the kinks

#341 dirbab

dirbab

superjunkie

• Pip
  • 1,654 posts
  • joined 21 june 06

Posted 14 June 2007 - 03:31 PM

Where is it located? I'd like to check it out.

#342 mizanation

mizanation

postwhore

• 5,201 posts
  • joined 31 march 06

Posted 14 June 2007 - 03:49 PM

Talked to a coworker who also went last night, she told me the noodles were extremely hard which is exact opposite of what I got.

She sat at the counter and observed the guys working, she commented that there weren't really functioning too well as a team, lots of waisted movement, time....and that waitresses were very unorganized.

I noticed that about the waitresses but didn't see the dudes working, i guess it's gonna take some time before they iron out all the kinks

this reminds me of the scene in tampopo where they observe two master ramen chefs in their booth. no wasted movements, both chefs working in perfect coordination.

#343 Chicken

Chicken

postwhore

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,935 posts
  • joined 19 may 06

Posted 14 June 2007 - 03:57 PM

^ funny.

this is usually why i try not to get too anxious about going to an eatery that has just opened. it seems it could take weeks until they get used to the operation and bring some consistency.

but thanks for the review. hard to wait for my turn.

#344 yttri

yttri

bored

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • joined 13 june 07
  • talents:bikes, napping

Posted 14 June 2007 - 05:40 PM

this reminds me of the scene in tampopo where they observe two master ramen chefs in their booth. no wasted movements, both chefs working in perfect coordination.

after watching tampopo i made omurice for the first time! can't tell how authentic mine was but i can cook the eggs now so that it oozes out from a cut down the middle, just like the movie.

#345 Chicken

Chicken

postwhore

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,935 posts
  • joined 19 may 06

Posted 14 June 2007 - 05:55 PM

^ a strange first post on superfuture. :D

but omurice rules.

#346 corporategrunt

corporategrunt

superbored

• Pip
  • 271 posts
  • joined 06 november 06

Posted 14 June 2007 - 06:17 PM

Where is it located? I'd like to check it out.

1ave btwn st.marks and 9th st.

#347 yttri

yttri

bored

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • joined 13 june 07
  • talents:bikes, napping

Posted 14 June 2007 - 06:24 PM

^ a strange first post on superfuture. :D

but omurice rules.

you have to start somewhere!

#348 almondcrush

almondcrush

superbored

• Pip
  • 826 posts
  • joined 08 january 06

Posted 14 June 2007 - 09:38 PM

but omurice rules.

it rules so much i would be inclined to say it dominates

ugh ive driven to kenka twice in the past week to get my fix :(
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
In Reality The Kind of People (Males, That Is) Wearing Tight Jeans Really Hang Out At The Burger Shop Down The Street

#349 mizanation

mizanation

postwhore

• 5,201 posts
  • joined 31 march 06

Posted 14 June 2007 - 09:41 PM

almond, you know that it's pretty easy to make? but yeah, why make it when you can eat it at kenka and enjoy cheap beer on tap with your friends.

#350 zimzima911

zimzima911

superbored

• Pip
  • 358 posts
  • joined 16 september 05

Posted 15 June 2007 - 11:03 PM

i went to setaga-ya today for their grand opening...it was pretty crowded. had the chirashu, it was good...could have been much better though. i like minca better i think. i thought the broth at setaga-ya was excellent, extremely complex but i thought the noodles and the pork weren't the best. the noodles were a bit overcooked and there wasn't enough actual meat on the pork imo. the egg was perfectly cooked, gooey, unlike minca's which is always overcooked. i'd like to see what others think of it.

#351 DaBestSpoona

DaBestSpoona

superfreak

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,044 posts
  • joined 04 february 05

Posted 16 June 2007 - 03:48 AM

I need a fix for a good hayashi omurice

#352 Fookums

Fookums

superjunkie

• Pip
  • 1,453 posts
  • joined 31 january 07

Posted 16 June 2007 - 04:06 AM

i went to setaga-ya today for their grand opening...it was pretty crowded. had the chirashu, it was good...could have been much better though. i like minca better i think. i thought the broth at setaga-ya was excellent, extremely complex but i thought the noodles and the pork weren't the best. the noodles were a bit overcooked and there wasn't enough actual meat on the pork imo. the egg was perfectly cooked, gooey, unlike minca's which is always overcooked. i'd like to see what others think of it.

Posted Image

Setaga-ya was cool. Pretty long line but I thought it was worth it. I agree that Minca is overall a bit better, but Setaga-ya has its perks.I got the shio ramen and I thought they're noodles were fine but I agree that the pork wasn't that great. It had an okay flavor but it wasn't as tender as the one in Minca. The broth was good, but I personally prefer the heavier broth at Mincas to the lighter one at Setaga-ya, but I didn't mind it too much.

In the end, I'll probably just go to Setaga-ya a bit more often than minca just 'cause its not as out of the way as Minca is.

#353 coleslawyum

coleslawyum

superjunkie2K

• PipPip
  • 2,471 posts
  • joined 29 september 06

Posted 16 June 2007 - 04:42 PM

almond, you know that it's pretty easy to make? but yeah, why make it when you can eat it at kenka and enjoy cheap beer on tap with your friends.

They make it real greesy there. But it's tasty nevertheless. They even top it off with mayo. Figure eating a days worth of it should give you a heart attack.

#354 zimzima911

zimzima911

superbored

• Pip
  • 358 posts
  • joined 16 september 05

Posted 16 June 2007 - 11:58 PM

minca...out of the way? its like 8 blocks away.

Posted Image

Setaga-ya was cool. Pretty long line but I thought it was worth it. I agree that Minca is overall a bit better, but Setaga-ya has its perks.I got the shio ramen and I thought they're noodles were fine but I agree that the pork wasn't that great. It had an okay flavor but it wasn't as tender as the one in Minca. The broth was good, but I personally prefer the heavier broth at Mincas to the lighter one at Setaga-ya, but I didn't mind it too much.

In the end, I'll probably just go to Setaga-ya a bit more often than minca just 'cause its not as out of the way as Minca is.

#355 coleslawyum

coleslawyum

superjunkie2K

• PipPip
  • 2,471 posts
  • joined 29 september 06

Posted 26 June 2007 - 08:08 PM

Setagaya was delicious. Cha shuu was good too. A great basic ramen. Egg was nice soft boiled. I ordered the extra noodles to finish off my soup. I highly recommend it, even though they have a limited menu. Best thing is the ramen TV.

#356 mizanation

mizanation

postwhore

• 5,201 posts
  • joined 31 march 06

Posted 26 June 2007 - 08:10 PM

^^^ great review. let's hit it up sometime.

#357 Chicken

Chicken

postwhore

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,935 posts
  • joined 19 may 06

Posted 26 June 2007 - 08:13 PM

must... go... soon...

#358 the_state

the_state

banned

• banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts
  • joined 30 august 06

Posted 26 June 2007 - 08:29 PM

is it safe to say i'll get hung if i utter the words "momofuku" in here?

#359 DaBestSpoona

DaBestSpoona

superfreak

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,044 posts
  • joined 04 february 05

Posted 26 June 2007 - 08:46 PM

Setagaya was alright, I wasnt too crazy about the noodles, although they were chewy. I liked their eggs, broth and chashu.

I don't see it as a place I would crave to go to all the time even though I prefer lighter shio broths over tonkotsu

well momofuku deserves its own thread, bowls of shit should not belong in a ramen thread

#360 mizanation

mizanation

postwhore

• 5,201 posts
  • joined 31 march 06

Posted 26 June 2007 - 09:43 PM

again, i remind the good patrons of this thread: ippudo is coming to new york.