Gareth Pugh F/W 10.11 Paris

bill

At first, I felt disappointed by this collection (same with Rick) but I really like it now. Sure, we're far from what we like Gareth for (his dark weird monsters) but I feel like this collection is really him. As for wearability, when you take off the big balloons and the headpieces, sure, it looks way more wearable than the previous collections (every outfits from that collection is wearable). I love the fact that he turned his black and white wedges from ss09 into black leather boot and he did something for the eyelashes really similar to what he did for ss09.

it all looks like its manufacturing quality is shit, as it was last season. I saw and felt his menswear for autumn 2009 and the prices were astronomical and the materials were awful. I thought the pieces looked and felt like halloween costumes

Indeed, he really needs to use better materials, especially leather (looked like pleather). This is an excellent collection, design-wise but you're only as good as what comes out of the factory so I'll wait and see.

I found one of the pieces I liked (long coat with extended leather sleeves) for a very good price (L'éclaireur sales) but it was so flimsy I didn't even bother.

it all looks like its manufacturing quality is shit, as it was last season. I saw and felt his menswear for autumn 2009 and the prices were astronomical and the materials were awful. I thought the pieces looked and felt like halloween costumes

yo fo real. the stuff seven picked up looked cool but were a nightmare to wear and stuff seemed like it would last a week.

but i really dig some of this stuff.

• 4 months later...

Guy is too eccentric and into himself to make things work. I can't believe nobody mentions that, this guy is basically the worst form of a fashion snob who decided to design clothes. Fortunately, his womenswear is relatively well done and thought out, but the men's stuff is atrocious. I'm tired of all the designers pushing androgeny, its played out as fuck. One of the male models was wearing a haltertop for christ sakes. Nice chevron bro! As long as their is pretentious people in fashion (always will be), Pugh will probably do well. Happy halloween.

Gareth Pugh Makes Worldwide Retail Debut with Hong Kong Store, Denies Thierry Mugler Rumors

British designer Gareth Pugh opened his first retail store in Hong Kong over the weekend as part of a deal with I.T. Group, the company that now owns Pugh's Hong Kong retail rights. The 658-square-foot shop is located on Ice House Street near fellow experimental designers Comme des Garçons, Ann Demeulemeester, and Martin Margiela. The interior features jet black rubber paint and glossy black tiles in the main space and ash gray walls and carpet in the fitting rooms.

The all black exterior does not have traditional window display, rather a large glass wall that will show through to an LED screen in the back of the shop. Inspired by his friend Nick Knight, Pugh is hoping one day the screen might connect to a live feed camera in his studio. Pugh has no immediate plans to open additional retail stores. The designer also denied recent rumors that he is heading to Thierry Mugler: “There is no truth to them at all,” he said. “Rumors are rumors. It’s not going to happen.”

http://www.wwd.com/retail-news/gareth-pugh-makes-his-retail-debut-3200661

Guy is too eccentric and into himself to make things work. I can't believe nobody mentions that, this guy is basically the worst form of a fashion snob who decided to design clothes. Fortunately, his womenswear is relatively well done and thought out, but the men's stuff is atrocious. I'm tired of all the designers pushing androgeny, its played out as fuck. One of the male models was wearing a haltertop for christ sakes. Nice chevron bro! As long as their is pretentious people in fashion (always will be), Pugh will probably do well. Happy halloween.

surely not gareth's strongest collection but what the hell are you doing on this forum go back to superdenim

functional design

functional, comfort and "edgy" clothes don't mix well together (1)

I understand what you mean, but this is what Gareth Pugh has been doing since its debuts. Sure he has changed (he couldn't sell a piece before, except the runway ones (or a really few bits were sold)). He's from london and from the club kids scene/thing. he likes doing costume-ish clothes with weird shapes and all that. its not "functional", but this isnt workwear or whatever else... look at the older collection. this is way easier for the customer to wear than what he did for his first collections.

I'm not comparing it to workwear or anything like that. But as you stated, his old costumey pieces are a farcry from what he is doing right now. I think the translation from his old to new collections wasn't done to well, or at least he needs time to grow.

To be honest, the men's portion of the show is bringing the whole thing a whole level down. He should just focus on women's because he has no clue about men's. Show one or two looks if you have to, but he just doesn't have more than that in him.

The close-ups are ... problematic. I have a feeling this might turn out to be disappointing in stores — again.