hundreds?

Guest freedomfighter

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest sauce1

so who the fuck outbidded me on that preassembled PitBull Hoverboard on ebay last week. SHIT....guess i gotta build one now.

Bobby, you've got a good head on your shoulders, and much more sucess to TH in the future mang. Not like yall need it.

I'll buy you a beer if i run into you guys. PEAAAAAACE.

someone took my niketalk name here.

I was at MAGIC and saw the HUNDREDS stuff, when it wasn't undercover. I think it looks a lot better in person than online.

Although the aesthetic seems to be influenced by what I grew up on...I have to admit I wouldn't wear any of it.

But I'm a girl...what do I know.

Oh and as for hustle...don't we all?

moongirl :: cute stuff for an ugly world

http://www.moongirl.com

Edited by moongirl on Mar 20, 2006 at 09:07 AM

The Hundreds is a hollow brand that lacks imagination. Paisley all over prints do not qualify as unique or original in my book. Their "designs" are mediocre. The website is their strongest asset, I enjoy the featured artists and companies, most of whom are much more interesting than the hundreds. Is anyone with me on this; I appreciate their hustle but their clothing leaves much to be desired.

$

Quote: The website is their strongest asset, I enjoy the featured artists and companies, most of whom are much more interesting than the hundreds

I would have a lot more respect for them if they just kept being streetwear industry reporters they're pretty good at it.. better then a lot of other dudes doing it.

As for the line...ehh

Edited by Gatson on Mar 24, 2006 at 03:42 PM

Too call that brand hollow is a blasphemous disrespect. I'm in no way a fan of their clothes, in fact I generally don't much like 90% of everything I've ever seen them put out (sidebar: which shouldn;t offend them, because I'm the so-called anti-Scotty who probably wouldn't be considered the target market), but their clothes are clearly a representation of themselves, and what they would like to see on clothes. I can't claim to know them personally, but just through the extremely easy access to themselves via their blog and website, it is blatantly obvious that they are serving themselves as the core consumer.

I'll address several points of evidence

The fruitbowl Shirt- Making a T-shirt to comemorate a fucking T shirt. Who does that? Not me, not Gycci, not Bape, and of all things to commemorate a fucking fruitbasket? who would have done that but them?

The Hundreds hat- sure plenty of people do parodies, but these guys are from cali and decided to flip the old school starter script hat in clasic raiders colors which I'm sure was obsiquios to them at one point or another in their lives, Maybe you could call that far from ground breaking but it clearly came from their own heads and hearts so it cant be "hollow".

The pitbull shirt.- a T-shirt of the graphic from BTTF 2. Who the fuck wants that? not me. I never even realized that Biff's hoverboard had a graphic, and I definetly never thought anyone would care if they did at all, and especially not enough to buy a T-shirt with the graphic, but the Hundreds did and put it out there. Hollow is a Shirt with th jumpman on it which means nothing beyond the desire to be associated with a past-it's-prime sneaker line, not this shit

Paisley hoodie- Again nothing groundbreaking, but the fact it only cost 80 dollars said a lot. they could have charged quite a bit more for it in the current era of net-streetwear dominance and yet they didn't, which also says something. Every other company in the genre from jersey to japan is charging $50 to $500 more then that for similar items, which they could have easily done, and yet they willnigly chose not to, which makes a statement. A persno could argue that that doesn't matter because every brand is over charging and even 80 is too much, but no shit, welcome to planet earth, where the waters dirty, the airs poluted, and everyones trying to take your money, and thats that, and the hundreds decided to be slightly different,

people can argue that the hundreds aren't that original, or that they aren't inspiring, or amazing, or interesting, which can all be true dependnig on your opinions and tastes, but bottom line these guys do not make a hollow brand by any means, because they represent themselves and every else who cares about the particular things they do.

as you can see I've given far from a rave review because I'm not a huge fan of their products, but I respect what they have done, and what they are trying to do even if I can't relate to it

DOES WHAT I SAY INTEREST YOU?

I am available for employment,

full time, part time, & consulting, depending on the numbers

I am willing to work for major companies, brands, stores, and magazines

possibly whereever you want me to work, or what gap you need filled is up for discussion, from working directly with clothes to freelance writing

feel free to inquire about anything

contact email: [email protected]

Edited by jjs home on Mar 25, 2006 at 09:22 AM

To be honest, I never really liked TheHundreds, except for the usugrow collab. That was dope as all hell. But that doesn't mean I don't respect the brand.

And for those of you that think thier designs are "ridiculous" or that it resembles "clip art," look at bape. The same people are buying up t-shirts with a block of red camo screen printed on the front for 130 bones.

Depht...

• 1 month later...

When the hundreds puts something out, that's on point,you can tell it's a gift to society. I may sound grandiose, but when i first saw the hip hop is dead tee, my interest in the brand was immediately peaked. Who out there walks on the precipice of underground, yet cultural relevant to a wide audience? who out there comments but doesn't offend? who out there takes us back to the good old days, but keeps us looking forward. Bobby is the real deal, the new urban brand that many can embrace without feeling alienated. Bobby has created a community without boudaries or ethnicities an urban "Ashram" that any person from any walk of life can identify with. I may not like all his designs, but I can still feel connected to the inspiration.

instead of hating on the Hundreds, answer back with your own shit DIY.

fuck it dude, Bobby's got skillz and mad hustle, who do you know who: travels, stays true to his supporters-- grounded, while maintaining that crazy site? Dope interviews, and is connected like the fucking mafia? The only way he got like that is through character, and being real. those of us trying to get things off on our own can learn alot fromm Bobby and the crew. Mostly I'm hundreds for life because his crew is real...

keep it real keep it hundreds

peace bobby and mad respect

While I do respect them for their success as well as being "with" the people (ie Bobby communicating with this fanbase), I think that is not enough to warrant them being cool. What makes them on point? Every fan here is saying they are dope because they are popular. Popularity defines quality now? Very few people actually like the designs and they know it. There is not much artistic or even visually appealing with the products I have been exposed to. I don't hate them, I just wouldn't wear it, personally. I also haven't completely blocked the notion of sporting their clothes. Who knows, maybe the next line will catch my eye.

But for you guys to tell people to shut up for voicing their opinions, then claiming The Hundreds is the best thing since sliced bread simply because they are successful, is lame. Just my $0.02.

P.S. I love the bashing by Bobby of the internet geeks. The internet, bogs (hypebeast, sneakerfreaker, crooked tongues) as well as The Hundreds VERY OWN BLOG is what made streetwear companies they way they are today. You think you are going to reach out to some kid in suburban Indiana from the "street"? Give me a break.

Do you own an Apple Hi-Fi? Contact me.

i have nothing against "bobby"

i don't know bobby, ever met him, probably never will.

dude has mad hustle, sure. practically started the whole "streetwear company blog" gayness we are all subjected to now. i just think it's crazy that kids who have never met the guy who live in indiana as sygyzy put it come to his defense talking about how real he is and how he gives back to the "community" and stays in touch with his supporters.

what, cause he posts on the hypebeast forums? dude has simply just found another way to sell t-shirts by flipping the script a little; everything is still limited, but the culture is totally accessible via his blog or forums.

like i said, it's not my steez. the stuff from the hundreds i've seen that i would actually take a second thought to rocking has all been collabo stuff, i think that speaks a lot to the creative level of the actual brand.

if it is all a big marketing gimmick then the dude duped me...i see the hundreds as more of a we love what we do and thats why we do it bunch more so than a take over the world corporate group. The reason why they have achieved such a large buzz or whatever definately has to do with the "cheezy" streetwear blog. But i don't think its because teenage suburban hypebeasts are trying to vicariously live the life of an urban hipster...it's the actual literary substance to what bobby writes. Basically, our lives center around entertainment...and the hundreds provide us with exactly that...the playful t-shirts, amusing posts, color-changing hoodies. (you should read Postman's book Amusing Ourselves to Death...interesting shit) thats enough social commentary...the hundreds will be the first to tell you that they are as much of a blog or a lifestyle company as they are a clothing company....in the end its only one part of their lives and one part of ours and and honest and even critical appreciation is much more constructive and healthy instead of bogus criticism....hahha idk i gotta get back to the books its a.p. season

ak

ok "dawgs" you all need to stop "hatin".

I like a few of their designs, plus I actually read bobby's blog often and you can easily tell by the way he writes he's a decent dude. Clearly that is the one of the reasons his brand is doing so well. Sure some of the designs aren't for me but seriously who the fuck cares? Who wants to pay $200 for a tee with a fucking ape on it? Not me. At least they aint charging through the roof for their designs. Everyone has to stop reading into everything and just chill the fuck out. Peace

treat girls like dirt, watch them stick like mud

• 2 weeks later...

i know its an annoyance when people revive dying posts, especially when people have pretty much said everything that could be said. i do know bobby, at least enough to know his motivations behind the brand. alot of people arent going to get most of the shirts, and its because all of the graphics come from his inspirations growing up in southern california (actually not too far from where i grew up). i didnt get some of the shirts (like the pitbull) but after i asked him about it, it makes sense....dude is obsessed with back to the future. and its because of that i respect the brand. he doesnt make shirts with graphics that he knows will sell. granted there are a bunch of kids that will buy it for the name and not necessarily because the associate with the graphic, but the same thing could be said for kids that spend 300 dollars on dry line selvedge jeans from japan made with african cotton just because they saw a bunch of kids on superfuture talking about them. the respect i have for them comes from the fact that they arent catering to the market, they are creating it, meaning they are doing their own thing and people are coming to them. their product has a signature look which in my opinion is the hallmark of a good brand. you look at any company that has created an image that is consistant year after year throughout trends, those are the ones that become iconic. Those are the ones that people 10 years later reminisce about...like what bobby did with freshjive. to be continued.

i know its an annoyance when people revive dying posts, especially when people have pretty much said everything that could be said. i do know bobby, at least enough to know his motivations behind the brand. alot of people arent going to get most of the shirts, and its because all of the graphics come from his inspirations growing up in southern california (actually not too far from where i grew up). i didnt get some of the shirts (like the pitbull) but after i asked him about it, it makes sense....dude is obsessed with back to the future. and its because of that i respect the brand. he doesnt make shirts with graphics that he knows will sell (im sure alot of his buyers are too young to get most of the influences in the graphics). granted there are a bunch of kids that will buy it for the name and not necessarily because the associate with the graphic, but the same thing could be said for kids that spend 300 dollars on a pair of jeans from a company that is just redoing 501's in psuedo-high quality denim. The tshirt is not new, neither jeans, yet there are so many people trying to put their own twist on it, the only thing that sets any brand apart is IDENTITY and the lifestyle the brand represents. the respect i have for them comes from the fact that they arent catering to the market they are in, they are creating it, meaning they are doing their own thing and people are coming to them. their product has a signature look which in my opinion is the hallmark of a good brand. you look at any company that has created an image that is consistant year after year throughout trends, those are the ones that become iconic. Those are the ones that people 10 years later reminisce about...like what bobby did with freshjive.

• 3 months later...