J. Crew's New Raw Denim

nycsurfer530

J. Crew, who i coincidentally work for as a sales associate, has recently released a raw denim. Despite my association with the company i still feel very speculative about the quality of the denim. So, I bought a pair to see how it is. I must start out that it feels nothing like a pair of Samurais,

It is Raw but it is not shrink to fit, it is a sanforized raw denim. It has a good weight to wear during spring and summer. J. Crew recommends to wear at least 60x before first wash but i am going to go a few months without washing to see just how qualitative the fading is while maintaining a well made product.

I'm not sure what to expect as this is the first truly raw denim J. Crew has made. I'm not expecting it to be nearly as nice as evisu, Samurai or fullcount but since it was priced at 240$ I do expect some good fading. Over the next few weeks I'll be posting pics to show the progression of the denim. Hopefully this turns out a gem find for a summer denim but we'll see.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

$240 is pretty pricy for a store that is not known for its denim.

You can have fun in a specialty raw denim boutique with that kind of cash.

Regardless, should be interesting.

Where are the jeans made?

Where the jeans are made is the big question. If JCrew is contracting from someone who knows denim, it can probably be trusted, but I suspect that they're just trying to cash in on the people who will assume that quality follows price.

$240 bucks can buy me a pair of jeans from a company that is completely obsessed and devoted to the history, art and craft of denim, why would I buy JCrew instead? For that kind of scratch, you want the kind of quality that comes from love.

J. Crews denim is from the kaihara denim mill, and it is assembled in canada, and i'm working on the pics.

and rrlselvagedenim, why are you buying levis when you can get a pair of evisu for that price???

J. Crews denim is from the kaihara denim mill, and it is assembled in canada, I paid half price so only 120 and i'm working on the pics.

and rrlselvagedenim, why are you buying levis when you can get a pair of evisu for that price???

so from what i'm taking from this, they seem to be like the 3sixteens, except $60 more. that make sense given they're name is much more mainstream than 3sixteen.

^what store do you work at?

i wrok at the store on 45th and madison ave.

so about the pics, can't find my sd card for my camera, so gotta get a new one then pics will be up. however denim is breaking in nicely with some nice honeycombs and beginnings of whiskers

J.Crew claims that all their selvege denim is from kaihara denim mills. If you've ever gotten a chance to see their selvage denim, it's nothing to write home about.

How long have you been wearing the jeans that you are already seeing indigo loss (if i am understanding your post correctly)? My guess is they are similar to the Levi's Imprint line because of their wait 60 wears before washing. Sounds like dry denim for the masses, or those who are willing to pay $240 for a crappy pair of quick fading pants.

J.Crew claims that all their selvege denim is from kaihara denim mills. If you've ever gotten a chance to see their selvage denim, it's nothing to write home about.

How long have you been wearing the jeans that you are already seeing indigo loss (if i am understanding your post correctly)? My guess is they are similar to the Levi's Imprint line because of their wait 60 wears before washing. Sounds like dry denim for the masses, or those who are willing to pay $240 for a crappy pair of quick fading pants.

haha yeah it actually sounds like those levi's because it comes with a little bag and on the bag it says wear 60x before washing.

I never said the denim was great though but since i work for J Crew i'd try it out

the denim on the jcrew raws was right hand twill, really bright blue, and super thin, ide say 12oz. that being said, they still looked good, the fit however was just terrible. the hem was cut so slim that it was tight around my ankle, yet i had room in the thights, and im not a skinny guy. very strange.

i tried them on last week, i wasnt pleased. best way to describe the fit was new standard from the knee up and new cure from the knee down. really bizzare... i tried 32x32

really?? I love the fit, we call it the 484 but its really just j crews slimmest fit. i sized down to a 29X32 and the denim has stretched out enough that the fit is perfect and really tight. But i really don't like the 501 fit. i get it that its a baggier (really Baggy) fit but the rise on it is huge it came way above my waist line.

Thanx Surfer, but thats just not the fit i wanted, nor do i feel is relevant today. dont think ill ever "size down" in raws again, if i wanted a slim cut with a tapper i would have went to APC. i was assuming it was a slim vintage cut, roomy square top block, slim but straight leg, that would have made more sense. i dont get why they would make such a tappered jean for men and wait til 2010 to realease it.... pretty passe' also the exposed selvedge on the cion pocket looked alittle sloppy. just my opinion. very interested to see how they wear though....