Samurai Denim

Guest The Diplomatic Aristocrat

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

S5000VX 21oz ..I have to start saving myself..

When I first read that I thought it said starving myself which didn't make any sense, you're already darn skinny. But then I read it correctly, and it still didn't make any sense, I thought everyone over there was rich.

areyou serious?

I read that and thought, huh.

Conclusion

huh?

I just thought I'd contribute a bit of data on my initial experience with these jeans. I know that with the contest ongoing there's a fair amount of info on these, but I thought I'd provide some beta nonetheless. I bought these at Blue in Green, and they're pretty great.

I purchased a pair in size 35. I would have bought 34s if they were available, but that's the way life goes, and I'm not into scuba suit denim anyway.

Before soaking the pants measured 37W and nearly 37 in length (they were certainly longer than 36 inseam). I started off doing a 45 minute hot soak with a hang dry. This didn't really yield the result I was looking for, as not much shrinkage occurred. So I returned to the washer, and soaked for 6 hours in very hot water. Again, I wasn't satisfied with the shrinkage, so I tempted myself with the dryer. Ever so hesitantly, I committed myself to 45 minutes in the dryer (on high no less), telling myself that they're just pants and I'd get over it if they turned to dogs' droppings while in the belly of the beast. I should note that I had a slight indigo ring on the washer each time after the soaks, but nothing serious. So I wasn't prepared for the dryer--it was completely blue when the jeans were done. It was a beautiful blue, but it was really blue and took a while to clean.

Back to the jeans. The color changed remarkably to a much brighter blue from a dull steely blue. The washing only seemed to invigorate the slubs and warp knots. Significant shrinkage did occur. The waist shrunk down to a 34.5. The length shrunk nearly 3 inches, with other notable shrinkage in the legs, particularly the thighs.

But the most notable change in the jeans was the softness--these are starting off the softest denim project since I was rocking cornball stuff in the 1980s. I attribute this to the very long hot soak (which I imagine rid the jeans of most of their natural starch). Possibly the dryer played a role too; never having used a dryer on any of my denim before, I wouldn't know. Anyhow, here's a few pics.

sammyfront.jpg

sammyback.jpg

sammyclose.jpg

wow that the colour melted off like cheese on the last pic.

They don't call me grilledcheese for nothing... Actually that photo overdramatizes the issue a bit due to the super-direct sunlight. But in any case there are a couple of small areas of indigo "run" (for lack of a better term)--namely at the outside seam on the lower legs, but only noticable in very intense direct light. These pictures were taken immediately after taking them out from the dryer. Since then the jeans have settled quite a bit (particularly up towards the hips) and of course the legs are less bunchy as is typical. The main question now is whether to hem or not--at first I took it as a given, but now I'm leaning towards leaving them. But opinions on this issue would be welcomed.

hello,

I'm relatively new to Superfuture. I've been fascinated with denim since childhood and I stumbled upon Superfuture about a year ago. As a result, my first pair of denim was a pair of A.P.C New Standards.

I recently went to BIG and almost purchased a pair of Straight Fit Somet's. However, i wanted to be 100% sure with my decision ( it took me a while to save up this much money ) so I went home and thought about it. A week later, I decided I would buy the Somets but my size was sold out. Therefore, I bought a pair of Samurai S0500XX in a sz 30. I don't regret it, this denim is amazing.

I soaked them in hot water for 1 hour, sun dried them for 45 mins, and wore them while slightly damp.

Peace :)

264922597.jpg

^nice pic up on the sammy's u won't be disappointed....

n00b question:

one or two sizes down on the 5000bk? There's been quite a bit of debate about it so I figured I'd ask again for those w/ experience. I'm looking for a nice slim fit, so I'm leaning towards two to account for stretching...

Thoughts?

Lot 10 (2007) is one size smaller than Lot 9 (last year). So all that advice about sizing down 2 is pretty much out the window. I sized down 1 on my S710s. Fits tight but okay. Could have gone my true size with little problem. But if you're looking for a slim fit, size down one.

n00b question:

one or two sizes down on the 5000bk? There's been quite a bit of debate about it so I figured I'd ask again for those w/ experience. I'm looking for a nice slim fit, so I'm leaning towards two to account for stretching...

Thoughts?

Lot 10 (2007) is one size smaller than Lot 9 (last year). So all that advice about sizing down 2 is pretty much out the window. I sized down 1 on my S710s. Fits tight but okay. Could have gone my true size with little problem. But if you're looking for a slim fit, size down one.

my 710s are lot 10 also and i sized down 2 UNLIKE indigo junkie. the fit looks awesome but if comforts pretty important theres much to be desired, the waist stretched to accomodate, but if/when i want to have any sag i have to undo the top two buttons and one notch on my belt. the next pair of sams i get (likely the s5000 21oz) i plan on only sizing down one for the highest good looks:comfort ratio possible

hello,

I'm relatively new to Superfuture. I've been fascinated with denim since childhood and I stumbled upon Superfuture about a year ago. As a result, my first pair of denim was a pair of A.P.C New Standards.

I recently went to BIG and almost purchased a pair of Straight Fit Somet's. However, i wanted to be 100% sure with my decision ( it took me a while to save up this much money ) so I went home and thought about it. A week later, I decided I would buy the Somets but my size was sold out. Therefore, I bought a pair of Samurai S0500XX in a sz 30. I don't regret it, this denim is amazing.

I soaked them in hot water for 1 hour, sun dried them for 45 mins, and wore them while slightly damp.

Peace :)

Samuel, very nice jeans--I am similarly enamored with my pair as well. So interesting to see two pairs of these on the same page, in roughly the same state, yet they look so different. That's what makes the world go round I guess. Hooray for life.

I had lot 9 5000s in a 29 and they fit tight in the waist but stretched out quick. I would say it was as tight as my 710 size 30 waist considering the difference in rise lengths.

They were also a lot looser in the leg, especially the thigh and ass. Size dowwwwnnnnn. (At least 1)