Samurai Denim

Guest The Diplomatic Aristocrat

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jeffvyain

my S5000vx are now a year old. I wore them reasonably hard (for me) for about 6 months, and then 6 months of wearing almost every day but not very actively. I can't believe it's been a year already. I'll eventually post pics but photobucket is down right now so I just uploaded them on my flickr account. You can view them here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffvyain/

I hate being one of these guys, but I could use some sizing advice.

I'm planning to get a pair of S5000BKs. Post-hot soak/eventual stretch I'd like them to fit pretty slim.

Ideally, a little bit bigger than my PBJ XX-005s, which are size 30. They fit like this:

blackwizards.jpg

I do a 30 in APC New Standards, if that helps at all.

Based on the Bears charts, I'm leaning towards 31. Anyone with both have a suggestion?

Thanks.

I've had the APC standards in a 30 - and I have the PB in a 30 as well..

Had to stretch the PB's a lot - and the APC's were loose..

I wear a 31 in Samurai - I think I could fit a 30 - but due to frequent washing I enjoy them being a tad bigger ...

I assume that most people will tell you to get a 30 - probably your best shot..

Some might say size down and get a 29....

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

My size 30 APCs are a touch loose after the notorious stretching. The 30 PBJs are too tight. Maybe a 30 in Samurais would be just right?

Polishmike, I'd say my "normal" size is probably more like 32 than 30. Based on that, do you think a 30 would be appropriate?

Really appreciate the help here, guys. After this I think I'm joining the no denim for a year club (not counting DD+1).

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

My size 30 APCs are a touch loose after the notorious stretching. The 30 PBJs are too tight. Maybe a 30 in Samurais would be just right?

Polishmike, I'd say my "normal" size is probably more like 32 than 30. Based on that, do you think a 30 would be appropriate?

Really appreciate the help here, guys. After this I think I'm joining the no denim for a year club (not counting DD+1).

headtowall, awesome quicksand song btw.....i had pbj xx-005's and they fit me similar to the way they fit you. I actually sold them cause they were too tight. I also have lot 9 S5000VX size 29 that are too tight in the waist. They've stretched out enough to fit but the top button is stretched about an inch over to the right. They fit tightly and are probably what you're going for.

that said, to be safe, i'd stick with size 30.

I wear size 32 in S0500XX and I could wear 32 in PBJ005 but my thighs are too big (waist is fine). I would get 31 in S5000bk for myself. I think Poly was talking about it and he said he would size down 2 in them. I think anyone smaller than size 32 can size down 2.

^mikes got it headtowall. if you want them slim and fitted like you said but not death by denim like the urban legend goes then size down two from your actual waist measurement. my actual waist is a 32 and my samurais are 30 (lot 10) and i love the fit. im thinking the 5000s will be my next sams whenever that happens and i plan on 30s then as well.

^^^^ yes, i think a lot of people (me included) make this mistake with samurai denim. they soak it once and think it's too big. i've found samurai denim continues to shrink up to at least the 5th or 6th wash.

Yeah, just got a pair of S0500s and soaked three times in hot water for several hours each. First time, shrunk a lot, second, a little more and third was very little - definitely not enough to continue, but it was there.

if you did three soaks, you might as well just throw them in the hot wash to maximize shrinkage. plus the fit will be better, i promise that

I'm assuming you mean actually agitating on hot? I didn't want them to bleed, so I just soaked...

If I'd wanted a less controlled shrink, I would have thrown them in the dryer, but that seems like it could be pretty extreme.

the SO500 has enough indigo to go around man. I've been wearing mine for 8.5 months, hot washed and thrown in the dryer like 6 or 7 times (heavy duty) and they still bleed when i wash them. believe me, you'll have enough indigo left over.mine look like this now and they still bleed when washed.

852250601_028818bed9.jpg

the whole "soak your jeans and be careful or youll lose the indigo" paranoia is plain silly. if theyre decent jeans, a hot wash (i mean in the actual wahser machine, not this caveman bathtub agitation shit) to start out with isnt going to hurt your jeans color. in fact, i really doubt most would be able to tell much difference afterwards.