rules for raw denim

why is everyone so fucking obsessed with rules for breaking in jeans? if the point is to make each pair personal, then it shouldnt matter what you do, right? and dont talk about "natural wear" if you starch your jeans every other day. how is that natural?

my rules:

wear the motherfuckers

if they are filthy, wash em

if you want to use starch, do

if you want to use clips, do

if you want to use sandpaper, do

if you want to set them on fire and put it out with piss, do it

if you want to bitch about "cheating" on a internet forum,

shut the fuck up!!!

thats all

denim is the new crack

Quote:

nothing human is natural

icon_smile_cool.gif

--- Original message by denimdestroyedmylife on Mar 9, 2006 01:27 PM

nothing human is unnatural... we are just apes, ya know. we and our actions are just as natural as a fish swimming thru the ocean. some go the wrong way and get eaten by sharks.

denim is the new crack

I find it slightly confusing that people go to such great lengths to wear their jeans "just right" when their ultimate objective is to have a pair of jeans that are filthy, severely worn-in, faded, and abused.

You don't need to soak them in an aromatherapy bubble-bath and roll down a hill in them while they're still a bit damp before going to bed fully-clothed. Just wear them. That "authentic, faded cowboy look" of yesteryear was not originally achieved by soaking them in a 30 degree tub for 8 hours and than hanging them inside out.

I think I might set up a denim farm. It'll be like a health farm, except for your jeans. Just come along in your favourite pair of brand-spanking-new raw denim, and our professional, dedicated staff will set you to work roaming through fields, cleaning out stables, planting vegetables and rounding up sheep for two weeks. Deep contrast, great fading and fantastic whiskers guaranteed.

Hmnn.

I've already posted my washing recipe elsewhere, but I'll repeat it for prosperity and perhaps Minya will sticky it to inspire future legions of grubby wasters to think bigger.

Simply put, once I put them on, I never take my denim off for 18 months. I then have them airlifted (on a special secure black ops flight running out of Romford) to a small community of headshrinkers deep in the uncharted amazon basin who wash their jeans with river water in the same iron pot that their forefathers once boiled missionaries in.

The women of the village then proceed to trample the denim with their feet for three days and nights, (adding rare jungle herbs and a potent enzyme derived from the love juice of the indiginous mudskipping ponyfish which really brings out the contrasts) before removing the garments, straining the wash water - which has by now been reduced down to an almost lethal psychedelic soup- and then necking it at the culmination of a maaaad communal ceremony held to mark the end of the ordeal.

The turnaround is about ten days door to door. If anyone's interested I'll try and hook you up but you have to speak click and marry the chief's eldest ( I've seen her and she's a minger)

• 1 year later...

It's sort of like the, "How do I style/cut my hair to look like I just got of bed and didn't style my hair?" Of course the simple answer is wake up in the morning and don't do anything. "But then it won't look authentic!" What the hell is more authentic than being authentic?

edit: Not that anyone would ever ask such a stupid question..

The first rule of Raw Jeans - You don't talk about washing jeans.

The second rule or Raw Jeans - You don't TALK about washing jeans.

The third rule of Raw Jeans - No belts, cuffing or hemming.

The fourth rule of Raw Jeans - One pair at a time, guys.

The fifth rule of Raw Jeans - If the cloth goes limp, blows out or tears, it's over.

And finally, if it's your first pair of raw jeans... you will wear them!:D

The first rule of Raw Jeans - You don't talk about washing jeans.

The second rule or Raw Jeans - You don't TALK about washing jeans.

The third rule of Raw Jeans - No belts, cuffing or hemming.

The fourth rule of Raw Jeans - One pair at a time, guys.

The fifth rule of Raw Jeans - If the cloth goes limp, blows out or tears, it's over.

And finally, if it's your first pair of raw jeans... you will wear them!:D

Three for sleeping.

So there is one rule?

well no if u spill shit on it or any form of odor or dirt then you do what you gotta do, which is to wash them.

and thats not really a rule, but if its a rule then its a general CLOTHING rule to preserve your clothing and prolong the longevity of of them. i guess some people like the rag/vintage/distressed look in some of their stuff but i think some articles should stay fresh. i dont wash my clothes unless i have to (i.e. sweat, odor, stain, dirt whatever).

well no if u spill shit on it or any form of odor or dirt then you do what you gotta do, which is to wash them.

and thats not really a rule, but if its a rule then its a general CLOTHING rule to preserve your clothing and prolong the longevity of of them. i guess some people like the rag/vintage/distressed look in some of their stuff but i think some articles should stay fresh. i dont wash my clothes unless i have to (i.e. sweat, odor, stain, dirt whatever).

Yea what he and Cheep said...wash or don't wash...it's whatever. THe other week, Gordon (from BIG) and I were talking about this non-wash phenom...people have this misconception that jeans will stop fading if you wash them in less than 4-6 months (or even more frequent...like once a month). Bottom-line is, if the denim is like that of these sick Japanese brands we get (or even APC), you're not going to end up with some cheap fucked off Levi's or Gap stonewash joints by washing semi-frequently. His project Sammies have been washed alot in the last 7-8 months and he can't stop them from getting all of that cool fading. It's just the nature of the denim. We've seen this in the Dior Homme thread...some of the nicest fades have been achieved by people who just wear them and wash them at least once each month.

The real secret is that Gordon and the rest wear their jeans...and wear them some more and wear them some more.

just wear them, and wash them when they need it. if you are looking for a certain result, youre fucking up already. i dont buy 300usd. jeans to get a certain fade, i like quality items, and nostalgia. i love them when theyre new, and when theyve become my linus blanket...

just wear them, and wash them when they need it. if you are looking for a certain result, youre fucking up already. i dont buy 300usd. jeans to get a certain fade, i like quality items, and nostalgia. i love them when theyre new, and when theyve become my linus blanket...

Indeed.

QFT. that's how i break mine in proper.

Yea, either skating or riding a bike...I need to get back on my BMX shit...EARLY.

...but not to produce fading in my denim...cause I love my Haro.

With you on that ....part of the allure of denim to me ,be it jeans/jackets is the nostalgia around 30/40/50's workwear/teen culture . I enjoy wearing this type of clothing . Any fading results I have had have been as a consequence of constant wear brought on by me enjoying wearing these items . I wash jeans/jackets when they need it but that isn't too often as i tend not to wear them hard but if you pay the money do what you want to them in my opinion....as long as you like it and enjoy the results .