bleaching denim to get white jeans

singlet2

Does anyone know the best aqnd safest way to bleach selvedge denim white. I have an extra pair of Earnest sewn, full selvedge and I can't find white jeans I like. I'd like to bleach but wonder if anybody has a good recipe so that I don't get holes. Then I am also wondering, if I soak them in a strach solution will that make-up for the obviously thinner post-bleach fabric?

check it out. i make a line of selvedge denim and i was experimenting with bleaching.. anyways.. soo i bleached mine with the selvedge and everything.. and it straight just tears to pieces after a 3 minute bleach bath if even that long.

i bleached a 505 and it was fine.. but it turned orange not white

That's what I'm afraid of. Maybe sanfordized denim is just too weak. It's easy enough to say go buy white jeans-but everything I've seen in white has sucked-from ES to 45rpm. The best is to find a vintage white levi which I haven't A&F actually come the closest with their new distressed ones, but the cut is to baggy for my taste. 45rpms white denim is beautiful, but the cuts were unwarable.

if anybody is interested i have two pairs of these for sale:

http://www.score.nl/cgi-bin/ScoreOnlineStore.filereader?440cf1c800208473271dd5d381d406ee+NL/products/4454&2D1

both are size 32/32 and new with all tags still attached.

look through my blackened eyes and you'll see ten thousand lies

The effective way to make white jeans is actually not to start with an indigo dyed fabric.

White jeans begin with a natural or near white PFD (Prepared for Dye; Prepared for Garment Dye) fabric. This basically means that the fabric was not previously dyed (with say indigo) and can be washed with bleach (to get it white), optical whitener/brightener (which gives the garment a bright white look).

It wouldn't make sense to start with a blue jean and then try to make it white when cotton is naturally white/close to white.

But if you were wondering how to make your blue jeans white...I have no idea. Maybe some wash experts can advise? Keep in mind, turning the entire jean white is not the same as making some spots white. Bleach and other chemicals can damage the fabric and threads, which is acceptable at isolated areas but not acceptable for the entire jean.

Actually, you'll get an off white color. I've successfully bleached two pairs of jeans that had wear marks I didn't care for. Submerge the jeans in a 50/50 bleach/water solution over night, repeat if necessary until you can't see any more blue. Then wash the jeans BY THEMSELVES, repeat until you've rid them of the bleach smell. Getting dark blue jeans to become completely white is probably a foolish endeavor.

"God is Dead" - Nietzsche icon_smile_angry.gif

"Nietzsche is Dead" - God icon_smile_cool.gif

personally, i don't see how it can be done at all.

a friend of mine got a spot of bleach on her shirt (regular fuchsia t-shirt) and it became kind of an orangey colour at the spot.

so we decided to experiment, and basically soaked it in bleach for a few hours. not even 50/50.

it came out blotchy and a mixture of pink/orange, like a really cool tye dye job. Plus, the seams for some reason stayed fuchsia, so I don't see how its possible to get white jeans.

definitely think pacioli has it right with his advice, keep up the search for a white pair.

nairb49

how do they do those light blue jeans?

is it by hard washing? stone wash? few dips in indigo in the first place?

can you accelerate this process without having to wash them a million times?

I mean something like this: It was clearly a dark jeans one day.

lightsel9du.jpg

Then the trick is to get some pre-dyed jeans of a type of style you like-I guess they would be a raw biege cotton and then give a light bleach. I aggree that the modern selvedge jean is not the best condidate-maybe I'll just a thick pair of vintage 501 or 505 and experiment. Thanks for all the suggestions.

I'm almost sure professional laundries have enzymes that eat the indigo out of the fabric... It may have been suggested here in the past, by ringring possibly? You may get the names and information about these enzymes, but I'm not sure how easily you could get them.

Guest Fade to Black
Quote:

I am pretty certain that is just the result of lots and lots and LOTS of repeated washes, Geowu. Notice how the jeans have almost no contrast: they were probably washed daily or every other day.

--- Original message by minya on Mar 7, 2006 09:47 AM

Just out of curiosity, minya (and others are welcome to drop input): What are your opinions on jeans that turn out like this? I mean I know high contrast is cool as hell...especially turning a pair of dark jeans to something that looks like it was really vintage and most regular washes can't duplicate. But I think something looks oddly cool about jeans that just fade yet don't look like those nasty 80's stone washed jeans, that fade until they're really light blue but is still recognizable as once being a pair of raw denim.

I have a feeling this is how my current raw denims are gonna turn out :( ... oh well I should be happy I guess, after all in the above paragraph I just touted its merits :D

it is going to take a LOT of washes for yours to fade out that light - particularly washes with detergent. there's quite a few ways the color is achieved, but usually the jeans are tossed into an industrial tumbler with something like pumice stones and overwashed until they drown out the dye.

i've got a pair of dolces, and while they were never raw, they've got an amazing coral-green tint that looks great. i think they're definitely cool. wear what you want.

Quote: But I think something looks oddly cool about jeans that just fade yet don't look like those nasty 80's stone washed jeans, that fade until they're really light blue but is still recognizable as once being a pair of raw denim.
Yeah, I completely agree... I think the jeans above look great. I wouldn't mind owning a pair like that for myself either. Good to have the variety.

Quote:

Does anyone know the best aqnd safest way to bleach selvedge denim white. I have an extra pair of Earnest sewn, full selvedge and I can't find white jeans I like. I'd like to bleach but wonder if anybody has a good recipe so that I don't get holes. Then I am also wondering, if I soak them in a strach solution will that make-up for the obviously thinner post-bleach fabric?

--- Original message by singlet2 on Mar 6, 2006 06:14 PM

I wouldn't risk doing it with a pair of Earnies.

You can get jeans pretty white by just soaking them in a solution of domestic bleach. I've done it and seen it done many times. Just be careful, and the bleach does indeed weaken the fabric & thread.

Starch won't help.

The reason I don't recommend trying it with Earnest Sewn's is:

They aren't cheap.

You may not get the jeans all white - ie get blue reserves in certain areas, like between the twin stitch lines.

Not everything may bleach. ie if they have used poly-cotton or polyester sewing thread - this may not fade as well as the denim.

you couldn't pay me enough to get into a pr of white jeans. that said, the cut on these looks pretty inoffensive, and the MK branding is super minimal:

http://www.bluefly.com/pages/products/detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=2015875799&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2025650593&N=2025650393&Ns=Popularity%7c0%7c%7cProduct%2bCode%7c1Ν=Product+ID

• 2 months later...

hey guys, i have an extra (free) pair of the dunk denim lo's that just came out. i have this crazy idea to bleach them to see how it turns out. as im pretty sure shoes arent made as sturdy as jeans are, theres a huge chance that some of the thread will be damaged and the shoes will just fall apart. anyone ever try bleaching denim shoes? any tips? or should i just go at it like one would a pair of jeans? also, anyone know anything about those bleach pens they have at the arts and crafts stores? thanks.

By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe.

• 2 months later...
how do they do those light blue jeans?

is it by hard washing? stone wash? few dips in indigo in the first place?

can you accelerate this process without having to wash them a million times?

I mean something like this: It was clearly a dark jeans one day.

lightsel9du.jpg

I guess this guy either

1. bought them that way or:

2. he had them washed in a professional laundry, where they used a lot of enzymes to eat away the indigo. The good thing about enzymes is, it doesn´t weaken the fabric as much as bleach does.

If he washed them down by himself, then he needed at least 50 washes with detergent that contains bleach.

Always good to have some light bottoms, too. Even better if it is light selvedge.