supermusic: because music is style too.

naturaljax

Quote:

Music Snob Moment:

DrinDrin, why is your hip-hop list great and your rock list so shitty?

Everything after VU is sad.

dystained , for more metalcore (true metalcore, not crap bands like Avenged Sevenfold or whatever's popular with the mascara guy crowd) check out Kylesa. They're

pretty much like Cursed, but a bit more sludgey and blues-metal influenced. Also check out Converge.

RedFoxxworth Definitely dig the coldwave and darkwave, but usually just the 80s and early 90s stuff. Have you heard what that music has turned into? Most groups putting out cold/darkwave these days sound so bland and washed out, like elevator music for grown-up goth moms at the mall.

Fushitsusha's legendary man, you should look for everything you can find by Keiji Haino... he's got some mega indie cred.. Thurston from Sonic Youth's written poems about the guy. An all-around amazing performer and artist, every project he touches is gold.

Muslimgauze I used to love; how prolific the guy was is amazing. Similar strangeness hangs around the excellent Hafler Trio...which is, again, one guy... music's in a similar vein though, although it gets more intense and structured than MG ever does.

naturaljax Brand New... don't rise above the shit pile to me, I'm sorry. But

I am totally with you on the misuse of the term emo.... what the fuck does dashboard

confessional have to do with Rites of Spring or Sunny Day Real Estate?. And further, the bastardization of the term screamo.... what the fuck does The Used have to do with Heroin, Clikatat Ikatowi, or the rest of the Gravity records roster? That's what happens when stupid people are allowed to shop outside of Walmart...

In the modern electronica vein, since someone mentioned house music,

anything past '95 that isn't either heroin/micro-house sounds exactly like

everything that came before it. Seriously. House music is so fucking restrictive,

unless you fuck with it to the point that 95% of house music fans won't listen

to it, it's just boring.

However, super-vouch goes to Venetian Snares. Everyone needs Venetian Snares in their life.

--- Original message by onemancult on Mar 6, 2006 10:08 PM

Lupe Fiasco, MF Doom, Nas, Jay-z? Shitty hip-hop artist...

Get the fuck outta here....

I assume you listen to G-unit wack shit... meh.

All very well lyrcist

And my rock list might not be that great since i hate alot of the shit that they play on t.v and don't like where rock is heading right now.

And Velvet underground is dope son...

STFU

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I'm going to assume there's a bit of a language barrier here and not immediately go on the offensive like I'd usually do...

I said your HIP HOP LIST was GREAT. GREAT means GOOD.

I said everything on your ROCK LIST AFTER the VELVET UNDERGROUND was BAD.

AFTER means BELOW, but not INCLUDING.

dystained, I think there's a lack of good, real metalcore bands like Cursed, Kylesa, etc. And by good, I'm including mediocre. Everything's just so retread, I mean, I can still blast Judge or Integrity and love it, but stuff that's just trying so hard to work like Himsa and whatnot. They're not all so similar, but Cursed's lead singer is a bit of a Canadian hardcore legend, as you may know- his previous bands Left for Dead, Ruination, and the Swarm are worth hunting down.

The YYY's album is really as bad as people are saying? That's sad. Then again, I think their first record caught on because of a lot of hype. After it died down, I could only really enjoy about a third of the album. Considering all those bands you mentioned, you should check out a couple of these if they're unfamiliar: Black Wire, Kill Kenada (highly recommended), Say Hi to Your Mom, and We Versus the Shark.

Anyone, feel free to tell me when this topic becomes too much of me writing geeked-out lengthy replies to people who made passing reference to my diatribes. I just happen to bleed sound if you cut me.

none so much.

i agree with the metalcore band statement. i guess that's why i keep hearing this genre bleedover of "punk metal" and in some ways it's apt... but too often gets lumped in with 'metalcore'. yeah, i haven't been able to track down ruination/swarm/left for dead but perhaps sometime soon... we have a pretty good record store nearby and i just never give myself the time to check it all out.

the YYY album... i mean, there's definitely a pop aspect that they've always had. but the first record caught me because of the eccentricity. it seemed to be pop... yes, but it also threw itself with a kind of abandon. i mean there was a few misses here and there, but perhaps that's why the hits jsut hit so well-- it put itself out there and tried to make an album for the sense of fun, energy, and good spirit that all dance parties should have.

definitely love say hi to your mom. great name too :) i'll look for the others.

and i don't get/won't get tired of music. :)

Quote:
Quote:

Music Snob Moment:

DrinDrin, why is your hip-hop list great and your rock list so shitty?

Everything after VU is sad.

dystained , for more metalcore (true metalcore, not crap bands like Avenged Sevenfold or whatever's popular with the mascara guy crowd) check out Kylesa. They're

pretty much like Cursed, but a bit more sludgey and blues-metal influenced. Also check out Converge.

RedFoxxworth Definitely dig the coldwave and darkwave, but usually just the 80s and early 90s stuff. Have you heard what that music has turned into? Most groups putting out cold/darkwave these days sound so bland and washed out, like elevator music for grown-up goth moms at the mall.

Fushitsusha's legendary man, you should look for everything you can find by Keiji Haino... he's got some mega indie cred.. Thurston from Sonic Youth's written poems about the guy. An all-around amazing performer and artist, every project he touches is gold.

Muslimgauze I used to love; how prolific the guy was is amazing. Similar strangeness hangs around the excellent Hafler Trio...which is, again, one guy... music's in a similar vein though, although it gets more intense and structured than MG ever does.

naturaljax Brand New... don't rise above the shit pile to me, I'm sorry. But

I am totally with you on the misuse of the term emo.... what the fuck does dashboard

confessional have to do with Rites of Spring or Sunny Day Real Estate?. And further, the bastardization of the term screamo.... what the fuck does The Used have to do with Heroin, Clikatat Ikatowi, or the rest of the Gravity records roster? That's what happens when stupid people are allowed to shop outside of Walmart...

In the modern electronica vein, since someone mentioned house music,

anything past '95 that isn't either heroin/micro-house sounds exactly like

everything that came before it. Seriously. House music is so fucking restrictive,

unless you fuck with it to the point that 95% of house music fans won't listen

to it, it's just boring.

However, super-vouch goes to Venetian Snares. Everyone needs Venetian Snares in their life.

--- Original message by onemancult on Mar 6, 2006 10:08 PM

Lupe Fiasco, MF Doom, Nas, Jay-z? Shitty hip-hop artist...

Get the fuck outta here....

I assume you listen to G-unit wack shit... meh.

All very well lyrcist

And my rock list might not be that great since i hate alot of the shit that they play on t.v and don't like where rock is heading right now.

And Velvet underground is dope son...

STFU

--- Original message by DrinDrin on Mar 6, 2006 10:22 PM

I'm actually going to have to side with him on this one, (regarding the rock) it was rather lacking. True, Velvet Underground is really, really good, I especially love the song Heroin. But other than that, you really had nothing good there. Panic! at the Disco especially, horrible re-hashed synthed-up version of Fall Out Boy. If you want though, I could reccomend some other bands to try to help you broaden up a bit.

If you like V.U., try The Arcade Fire, a lot of their songs could actually pass as V.U. songs and they're really good.

Also, for some better, synth-type music check out the Faint. While they aren't my absolute favorites, they are REALLY catchy and good, without being pretentious.

MF is a great MC, NaS has a classic album but recently hasn't delivered much. Jay-Z is good for a mainstream rapper, and I enjoy his music.

Have you checked out Dangerdoom?

I been rappin' for about 17 years..

I don't write my stuff anymore,

I just kick it from my head you know what I'm sayin I can do that.

No disrespect... but that's how I am.

Quote:
Quote: saves the day

Oh man, that was my favorite band of ALL TIME c. 2000; didn't like "In Reverie" that much though. I am buddies with their ex-manager at Vagrant though and you will be happy to know that they are recording and almost done with their new album; apparently it is alot like "Through Being Cool." If that is the case I can't friggin' wait.........

--- Original message by englandmj7 on Mar 6, 2006 10:14 PM

oooooomg. there's a STD concert on wednesday and i can't go because i'm f'ing working.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote: saves the day

Oh man, that was my favorite band of ALL TIME c. 2000; didn't like "In Reverie" that much though. I am buddies with their ex-manager at Vagrant though and you will be happy to know that they are recording and almost done with their new album; apparently it is alot like "Through Being Cool." If that is the case I can't friggin' wait.........

--- Original message by englandmj7 on Mar 6, 2006 10:14 PM

oooooomg. there's a STD concert on wednesday and i can't go because i'm f'ing working.

--- Original message by samsikle on Mar 6, 2006 11:50 PM

I missed them too!

I was sooooo mad. You have no idea.

I also decided that In Reverie is a good album. Despite what others may say. Maybe not the best STD album, but a good album nonetheless. Very catchy.

Oh shit...

lol mah bad for backlashing like that man...

For some reason I didnt see the great before the hiphop thing. lol

forgive me

I'm a lil off today

Like I said in the previous post...

Where I live right now, "emo" or "screamo" is like the cool thing ot listen to...

After Fall out boy came out and I started seeing dudes in skin tight girl pants.

I seriously lost hope for the rock genre

So I stick to things before emo bands started poppin into the scene.

And I'm more of a "Indie" rock type of person and like mellow punk.

And metal, and hardcore rock isnt really my thing.

Dangerdoom is dope.

Edited by DrinDrin on Mar 7, 2006 at 12:14 AM

Quote:

Calling Jay-Z and Nas shitty hip hop artist is...special. I dont mean special in the affectionate sense, but in the you must be retarded sense.

Also good job to the backpacker comment guy, that brought me back to 1999.

--- Original message by ktothe on Mar 7, 2006 02:18 AM

who called them shitty hip hop artists?

heres a list

sizzla

the libertines

the clash

krs-one

capleton

big youth

jawbreaker

the pixies

babyshambles

black star

burning spear

curtis mayfield

cymande

marvin gaye

jah cure

pinback

the ramones

television

richard hell

ny dolls

johnny thunders

the beatles

buzzcocks

denim is the new crack

recently i've been listening to a lot of

dashboard confessional

the hope conspiracy

bars

cage

notorious big

robots and empires

the distance

ghostface

lots of local bands

jd - donuts

death threat

bayside

american nightmare

first aid kit

tons more

Guest Fade to Black

"next time i'm feelin kinda horny...you can come on over, and i'll break you off/and if you can't fuck that day baby...just lay back, and open ya mouth..."

Been breakin out Doggystyle (my favorite album of all time) back into heavy rotation...also bumpin the new Arctic Monkeys album, Jay-Z's The Blueprint, and Game - The Documentary

I congratulate all you Saves the Day fans for not giving a damn what's cool.

I've strongly disliked them since I went to a show they were headlining (Newfound Glory also played, I think) to see Piebald. It was a basement show, so no advance sales. I'm waiting in line for a frickin hour, gettin close, and the damn STD kids come out and point out cute girls and let them in. I missed Piebald. Awesome. And now Piebald sucks, too.

Dystaind!

Quote: ... battles ...

HOo-fucking-RAAaaaaay!! At last someone else on Supertalk knows what I'm going on about!

Saw Battles for the nth time a couple weeks ago and Dave Konopka Offered me a beer from the stage in the middle of their set. I almost swallowed my tongue with the weirdness, but their show just gets tighter and tighter. Nice one.

( Other stuff on the stereo in the last couple days:

Mileece

Fridge

Don Caballero

Jan Jelinek

Papa M

Colleen )

all over the place as of late

lighter rock:

Built to Spill

Interpol

Secret Machines

Tom Petty

Harder stuff....

Metallica...garages days and b sides....Am I Evil...Blitzkreig.....

Early man

Black Sabbath

Hip Hop

MF Doom and all his akas......

Ghost

Eric B & Rakim.....

Big daddy Kane..mix tape......

Brand Nubian

Rza

Gza

www.wellbred.org

I was a huge metallica fan 89-92 when they where ruled without question. They they started to become the dinosaurs that they'd always resented . Jason Newsted was and is cool though, IMO. I 'm glad he split when he did and that He's doing great things with Chophouse records.

[url=" http://www.chophouserecords.com/"] <a href="http://www.chophouserecords.com/" target="_blank">http://www.chophouserecords.com/</a>

Best metallica cover? Breadfan, IMO.

Quote: Papa M

Heh...i smoked a joint with him last summer in some abandoned warehouse in Louisville. He and some other guy were working on there "metal" band. God it was awful.

Probably top 3 people ive ever smoked with though, pretty cool dude.

Edited by Carl on Mar 7, 2006 at 04:07 PM

anyone listening to the new broken social scene CD, its amazing, broken social scene in general is thoroughly rocking my speakers

ive been getting back into the flaming lips lately as well.

and of course much ghostface, hes comming down to houstin april 1st, too bad im missing it llaammeeee.

chwa?

Any musicians in here?

Own up.

I ran a tiny CD-R label for awhile called 23 Virii. It was solely for releasing my and a friend's electronic noise music... did pretty decent for awhile, got good feedback, but life got in the way.

was a musician back in the day. was awful.

sybaritical-- battles man. booyah.

fixoid-- i like kenji kawaii's work on ghost in the shell the most. avalon was pretty decent.

does anyone know city of caterpillar? been really diggin malady of late, i enjoy it's differences from city of caterpillar.

anyone check out envy? my friend said they're going to drop a new album in japan this summer. also eastern youth is touring the west coast. if you're around in march, check'em out. wonderful heartfelt 'emotional' punk rock. those dudes have been around forever.

Anyone who thinks that music is abot style is obviously not really into their music...

Style is the problem with most music at the moment - the crossover between music and fashion means that a lot of what's celebrated today is as fleeting as this season's stock at Zara.

Good music stands the test of time and should transcend current trends and perceptions of cool.

That said, recently I've been listening to a lot of Neil Young, J-Live, Black Sheep, Gillian Welch and the Kinks. [i:]