about a brand called Jean Shop

windowpane

I searched the thread but couldn't find a straight answer, but how much could I expect in the way of stretching? I am am thinking about exchanging the ones I am wearing for a 26 (the ones in the pic are a 29, but measure a 31). So by my reasoning a 26 should measure about 28, and with stretching maybe around a 29 or 30? I want a tight fit so I won't mind if they are a little snug.

• 1 month later...
Ya I like my skinny fits. God gave me the gift of beautiful legs, why not show 'em off :P

God gave me the gift of a massive cock, but I don't go around flaunting it... (j/k) kinda.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm new to raw denim. Just did my trial on a pair o Levi's STF 501 ($35) for 6 months, and like the results. I am now into my 1st month of APC Petit Standard Sz 29 (my waist should fit their 28, but my butt... oh my muscular butt... Got it at $155+tax on their Melrose store). Anyways, got a pair of KMW 1980 Jap edition Sz 30 (got it at $90 on Melrose) and a pair of Jean Shop Skinny (Slim?) Sz 27 ($265+tax again on Melrose) waiting. Have a pair of APC NS, but fit didn't really work (My waist and legs demand a 28, but my ass 29, so NS Sz 29 too baggy for me). So, my premature 2 bits on Jean Shop.

I don't know what difference the origin of cotton makes, perhaps a longer fiber provides higher strength, durability and a better resistance to shrinkage? However, as my run of the mill 501 and 505 from 18 yrs ago when I was still very young, active, and violent are practically still intact with nice fades and frays, I kinda think the difference is minimal on jeans and decided to ignore the issue unless rough wear suggests otherwise.

In terms of the feel of the denim, JS Skinny seems heavier, denser, more rigid and sturdier than my mall 501, 505, and APC's. Much more superior than 501 and 505, but I have to say not significantly better than APC. Compared to KMW 1980, well, if there were an abrasion contest, I think KMW would win effortlessly. KMW's denim seems to be thicker and more durable. They feel rough and the unconforming weaves, they add such a nice touch to the jeans, something JS sorely lacks. So, in terms of the fabric, when you realize JS's price is so much higher than APC and almost equivalent to KMW, you might wonder if JS wouldn't be better located in the low 200's. But what do I know about fabric?

Nonetheless, I do think JS has many redeeming qualities. The orange selvedge, while it might not bode well with other indigo based raw, it works fairly well with JS's tone base and, in my opinion, is a subtlety that could be enjoyed. The hidden rivets, hidden coin pocket selvedge, and the soft orange leather patch with their thick stitch logo are also appealing. The zipper and orange fly? I'm a little ambivalent on these. Granted zippers are more convenient, it does leave something to be desired as button fly gives a pair of jeans more chances to perform in terms of hardware (APC is ridiculously flimsy here). Yet, as JS isn't exactly a "retro" brand in my mind and their zipper fly isn't half bad, I might be able to see it as a different interpretation of urban jeans. The orange fly? I can only say the brand is asserting its subjectivity and presence a little bit too much here and sorta defeats the subtleness of the hidden rivets and hidden selvedge coin pocket. But again, a nice detail and colors works great.

In comparison, KMW's selvedge-showing coin pocket is a BIG minus for me. It is a statement that, for me, is extremely shallow and tasteless, and destroys the status of selvedge denim in the current market as a somewhat understated, unassuming independence. Making selvedge denim into a "brand" just doesn't jive very well with it's cultural significance (or insignificance for that matter).

Yet, compared to Sugar Cane's 1947 and Okinawa, I'd opt for a pair of JS or KMW any day. I especially do not like Okinawa last time I tried it on. Its 50% cane fiber is a nice twist, but I doubt it adds much to the strength and durability of the fabric. Maybe it will allow a nice fade, but... I'm not just in it for that.

Aw... that's my shallow and presumptuous opinion...

• 7 months later...

Gilt Groupe is having their Jean Shop sale tomorrow starting at noon.

It looks like Jean Shop doesn't get much attention on sufu, but priced under $100 on sale tomorrow, these japanese-denim selvedge jeans look like a great intro to nice raw denim for new guys *ahemlikemeahem*

Here are some pics of faded pairs (fron Context Clothing)

http://www.contextclothing.com/fading_indigo.php?skip=5

(The top two pairs are Jean Shop)

Ok so the Gilt sale didn't have any indigo rockers, but I picked up some relaxed fit anyways (don't hate! I've never worn skinny jeans before). Here are some day 1 fit pics

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_x7t-KHsfsYA/SwNaVOqcD_I/AAAAAAAAAD0/hh3Ns7X3JRc/s400/327jean.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_x7t-KHsfsYA/SwNaUxjG4-I/AAAAAAAAADs/izEIdmzqLCQ/s400/327jean2.jpg

I'm 5'6.5 and 138lbs

The jeans are tagged 27r

true waist 28

what do yall think?

i can't wait until sufu lets me post actual pictures... it's annoying having to post links when I know how annoying it is to actually have to click them

y7bbb6,

Nice pick up! especially if they were on super sale. The thing to remember when getting Jean Shops is that they are super vanity sized, much like apc. If you are a true 28, you will most likely need to get the waist in these taken in about an inch.

I've had to get my Rockers altered twice, just to account for stretching, and some weight loss, and they are still 2+ inches too big.

Good luck, and I would just go ahead and get these taken in .75" all around.

enjoy that orange selvedge!

• 2 months later...

just got my relaxed 29" today. they fit pretty nicely, not too loose, and feel higher quality than other jeans. a lot stiffer and better made than my evisus. the only thing is the wide leg opening, but i got a really good deal on these so i'm not complaining :)

here are some pics, any comments?

http://img17.imageshack.us/i/img5136s.jpg/

http://img534.imageshack.us/i/img5134.jpg/

http://img341.imageshack.us/i/img5133p.jpg/

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Everyone talks about these stretching. What about shrinking? Particularly in the length. I happened on a pair of raw Classics and they fit great, but there isn't much to play with in the length. If they come up a half or an inch, I'm OK. If they go up two or three I'm getting into highwater country. If these things are going to act like ShrinkyDinks (anyone around here old enough to remember those?) I'd rather keep them raw and sell them to someone slighty shorter.