What I hate about American Apparel Stores

JOSHBEE

First off all I will give them props for having a great amount of in-store hotties. Each of the stores in NY are always rammed with beautiful women (working and shopping), second only to Whole Foods. That said I have some wtfs with the unisex nonsense? I buy a large thermal tee the other day and get home and it's like a medium and doesnt fit. I get a v-neck the month before and it's the same shit. Also: cool bathrobes but they only offer medium size. Socks size 9-11 (unisex) should read "men's size 7-10". I shop the one on Spring and shit is all mixed together so every time I see something I like I have to make sure it's mens and the size is right.

Unisex is hippy bullshit and should end.

no i'm not kidding.

it is like trademarking the name "american". Apparel is a common usage word and does not differentiate it from any other previous brand called "american" something eg. american clothing, american vintage clothing etc.

Obviously different territories have different rules but i would have though US was pretty much the same as Asia/Pac and EEC.

Well excuse me! Excuse me...

Quote:

I see. Strange. The thermal I have is just marked "M" I think.

In any case, it sounds like your main complaint is that you bought the wrong size. Why don't you go return it?

--- Original message by minya on Mar 1, 2006 05:47 PM

It's a hassle, anyhow it worked out ok cause I gave it to my roomates girlfriend whose a fattie.

I dont see what the problem is. You bought a shirt that didnt fit right. Return it and get the right size. People either hate AA or love it. I am one of the people that love it. However, I would not pay full retail for the clothing though.

"Patience, both we and our words are overproduced by influence"

i too have yet to check out the store. but i keep hearing things about their stuff falling apart. anyone have any experience with this? basically the one reason i'm hesitant to buy anything from them.

but their hoodies do look nice.

Edited by dystaind on Mar 1, 2006 at 07:06 PM

Quote:

They didn't trademark "America". They trademarked "American Apparel".

I agree about the New York stores having hot employess. I'm sure it's like that in every silngle AA store. I also love the pics in the store.

--- Original message by BIGFISH_SMALL POND on Mar 1, 2006 06:41 PM

did you read my post at all?

or are you just stupid?

I hear what you are saying and the people that came out on your post to laugh and such are jsut ignorant to trademark.tradename law. In Canada, theoretically, it could be tought to stop somebody else from using the name "Canadian Clothing." It is not distinct and unique. It is just descriptive. I am not going to dig into my law books to prove this, but I hear where you are coming from.

Yes you are obviously not schooled.

to be honest neither am I in US trademark law. But i do know with my dealings in Asia and Europe that neither american apparel would struggle to be registered in most regions.

let me explain to you as obviously my last post was too oblique.

apparel is a common usage word, like clothing, sportswear, shoes, shirts.

If I went to register American Apparel and there was already someone with American Clothing, american shirts or in fact American ****** in the business of clothing/fashion/manufacturing, then there would not be a significant enough difference for the market to discriminate between brands.

Don't get caught up with the word apparel it just means clothes and hence (i'm not totally sure) would be classified as common usage and not enough to differentiate.

Furthermore, names of places are often not allowed to be trademarked, so thats why I asked the question.

I gotta weigh in on this American Apparel bullroar as a former supporter now fierce detractor:

-Best unwashed fit of tees and sweatshirts bar none. Wash them once, and you've got a twisted mess on your hands. This only applies to the tees with side-seams but what the hell...why the different constructions on the same item?!

-Fantastic colors of tees and sweats. Considering the phenomenal lack of quality control, who cares. I mean, I way-love thinner, slimmer tees, but yo! Check the neck on some of these joints. You go from nice, fitted neck to some kind of Baryshnikov sailer scoop. Dumb!

-Raglan. Word to raglan. But why do the zip-hoods have to be cheap as borscht? I was in the store the other day checking these and they were plum garbage. THIN. Thin like it was a joke. Way different than they used to be, and they used to be thin.

-Sweatshop free. Really? Has anyone busted them on this yet? Props to setting up shop in the States but I'm calling you out on your commitment to quality. You're not offering your homeland buddies any breaks, you still wholesale at like 2-3 times other "blank" brands. Boo.

I wish the stuff was better, I'd pay a premium for sure to get U.S.A made quality garments. Just seems like the focus has shifted to retail outlets. Pretty soon, they'll offer iron-on Bloc Party heat transfers and they'll be the Dog's Ear of the 21st century.

PS I've been to 7 or 8 stores all over North America and the girls are extra beautiful at each one. It's crazy.

Crazy awesome.

Quote:

to be honest neither am I in US trademark law. But i do know with my dealings in Asia and Europe that neither american apparel would struggle to be registered in most regions.

If I went to register American Apparel and there was already someone with American Clothing, american shirts or in fact American ****** in the business of clothing/fashion/manufacturing, then there would not be a significant enough difference for the market to discriminate between brands.

Don't get caught up with the word apparel it just means clothes and hence (i'm not totally sure) would be classified as common usage and not enough to differentiate.

Furthermore, names of places are often not allowed to be trademarked, so thats why I asked the question.

--- Original message by johninger on Mar 1, 2006 09:22 PM

Your first two sentences are just golden.

Quote:

--- Original message by johninger on Mar 1, 2006 09:22 PM

Right. So, US Steel? US is the name of a place (kind of like America) and Steel just means steel and is in common usage.

I still don't see what makes them different. Or would you hold that US Steel shouldn't be copyrightable, either?

By your formula, American Rag should be able to sue American Apparel?

ask a cassowary

I keep hearing these stories about AA not fitting, and I'm confused. I'm not a little dude, and their standard Ls fit me a lot better, though honestly not much smaller, than Ls from most blank brands (Hanes Beefy, Gildan, etc.), and larger than Banana Republic. The sleeves are shorter, but I consider that a good thing. I have a few leisure shirts and hoodies, and they have a very similar fit. I think the baby rib stuff fits smaller, and the "gym shirt" or whatever is small, too.

I machine wash and hang dry most of my non-dry clean clothes (dress shirts, jeans, polos; everything except sports clothes and underwear/socks), and I've never had a problem with them shrinking. The necks keep their shape better than, and the fabric is infinitely more comfortable than a normal beefy tee. I have a dozen pre-AA band shirts that I barely wear any more because the necks are misshapen or loose, and the cotton is relatively rough.

AA ain't perfect; their quality control/consistency can be bad. I thoroughly inspect their stuff before I buy for weak/misshapen seams, loose threads, etc., and wouldn't buy online. But it's good, basic, and cheap. Like a hipster gap.

If you don't like it, there's plenty of other options out there, no?