Sufu Barista social club

GregoryH

Italian coffee cutlure has been in melbourne for the last 50 years or so I think, so there are a lot of good places to get coffee here.

As for the flat white vs espresso argument:

As far as I'm aware "flat white" is an Aus and NZ thing. It probably comes from the English version of "White Coffee"

If you order a flat white in Australia, you will get a latte served in a Cappuccino cup. However if you ask for a latte, you will get it served in a latte glass.

Italian coffee cutlure has been in melbourne for the last 50 years or so I think, so there are a lot of good places to get coffee here.

As for the flat white vs espresso argument:

As far as I'm aware "flat white" is an Aus and NZ thing. It probably comes from the English version of "White Coffee"

If you order a flat white in Australia, you will get a latte served in a Cappuccino cup. However if you ask for a latte, you will get it served in a latte glass.

this seems like a clever way of giving people less coffee for their money, lol

otherwise, what's your go-to drink?

I mostly just drink black coffee. There's a shop near my apartment that has a Clover machine and a good selection of coffee. They have a costa-rican that I've been enjoying a lot.

I'm actually at a (different) shop right now, and just had a great cup of a french-pressed single source from rwanda. Was nice.

This place is about to have some event they have every saturday night, so maybe I'll try something exciting.

And holy shit someone just ground a bunch of beans all at once and it smells like heaven in this bitch.

good to see so many fellow baristas and coffee fans in here!

My go-to would have to be an 8oz. cappuccino, nice and short (less milk, more espresso) steamed to a slightly warmer than luke-warm 130 degrees (I find that any hotter and you lose the silky texture and rich flavour)

If I'm not at work, or any other respectable shop, I just go for the drip coffee (if they have a peaberry I'll opt for that over anything, I like the acidity and the extra caffeine kick of a light to medium roast is always welcome in the morning)

I will side with american-hearts and admit that I do sometimes love a big cup of 7-11 or gas station heroin coffee, those flavoured creamers they have are fucking tasty and it does the trick if you have a long night of driving ahead of you.

oh any of you guys been lucky enough to experience the individually brewed cups that some shops are doing? I think Stumptown does it, and Blend in Portland does it as well, I'm sure others do too...it sounds amazing

oh any of you guys been lucky enough to experience the individually brewed cups that some shops are doing? I think Stumptown does it, and Blend in Portland does it as well, I'm sure others do too...it sounds amazing

(see above post about shop with Clover machine)

:)

and it's pretty easy to find shops that do the individual small pots/carafes of french pressed coffee. Or it is around here, at least.

this seems like a clever way of giving people less coffee for their money, lol

well less milk really, as the shots are the same size. Which is why I think people make the effort to differentiate.

Would be interested to see / try a clover machine, no one around here has one I dont think?

well less milk really, as the shots are the same size. Which is why I think people make the effort to differentiate.

Would be interested to see / try a clover machine, no one around here has one I dont think?

Yeah, that's true.

I was just imagining a barista taking a normal latte and pouring half of it into a cappuccino cup, ha.

Let me know what you think about the coffee from the clover machine. It's nice, but not sure if I have a preference between it and french press. I kind of like the oiliness of french press, but the clover machine is definitely consistently good in my experience.

Is there a list of coffee shops with clover machines? I know in nyc Grumpy has one but one would think there has to be another place.

I don't know.

All I know is that when you go to clovercrafted.com, it now takes you to a starbucks site.

I also know this espresso I'm sippin on right now is fucking ballin.

And I just finished it.

And I want another.

the place I started at did all drip coffee individually, with a 10-cup brewbar setup that the owner had first seen at some west coast spots.

it was a bitch to run register and manage that at the same time. each coffee gets a scoop and three separate pours to finish the cup. One to wet the grounds, and two more full pours to keep it at a the right drip rate. 6 am, and morning commuters are out the door, everyone wants a different drip coffee and all 10 slots are full and finishing at different times.

sumatra? kenyan for you? sir, can i start you a drip coffee? no, you ma'am, that coffee there, number 7 -- yes, that's yours. i know it's full, that means it's done. yes, you can just grab it, tha--excuse me, here's your change. no, we don't do caramel macchiatos. no, our macchiato is not the same as a starbucks macchiato.

the place I started at did all drip coffee individually, with a 10-cup brewbar setup that the owner had first seen at some west coast spots.

it was a bitch to run register and manage that at the same time. each coffee gets a scoop and three separate pours to finish the cup. One to wet the grounds, and two more full pours to keep it at a the right drip rate. 6 am, and morning commuters are out the door, everyone wants a different drip coffee and all 10 slots are full and finishing at different times.

sumatra? kenyan for you? sir, can i start you a drip coffee? no, you ma'am, that coffee there, number 7 -- yes, that's yours. i know it's full, that means it's done. yes, you can just grab it, tha--excuse me, here's your change. no, we don't do caramel macchiatos. no, our macchiato is not the same as a starbucks macchiato.

good god this sounds like my day to day experience almost to a T,

"no sir we don't have a grande size we have a 16oz size, it's the same...venti? no we don't do that either we do 20oz, venti means 20, same thing...no ma'am I can't steam your milk to 190 degrees it will scorch and burn the milk...no sir I can't do extra dollops of foam on top of your "dry" cappuccino, we do them the proper way...yes you have to add your own cream and sugar, sorry I know it's a difficult concept"

good god this sounds like my day to day experience almost to a T,

"no sir we don't have a grande size we have a 16oz size, it's the same...venti? no we don't do that either we do 20oz, venti means 20, same thing...no ma'am I can't steam your milk to 190 degrees it will scorch and burn the milk...no sir I can't do extra dollops of foam on top of your "dry" cappuccino, we do them the proper way...yes you have to add your own cream and sugar, sorry I know it's a difficult concept"

people actually ask you to put their cream and sugar in their coffee?

that's kind of just straight up insulting.

Because I'm in Guatemala at a barista competition and have limited Internet access. I'll be contributing regularly to this thread when I return though. Glad someone started this!

people actually ask you to put their cream and sugar in their coffee?

that's kind of just straight up insulting.

Actually, in MANY parts of the world it's customary for the barista (or whoever is serving your coffee) to add the cream and sugar for you.

Actually, in MANY parts of the world it's customary for the barista (or whoever is serving your coffee) to add the cream and sugar for you.

not to mention I live in a small town in British Columbia, a town where every year Tim Horton's is voted best coffee shop, so the customary cream and sugar is something people are used to (I get people ordering "double-doubles" from me all day...two cream, two sugar)

didn't know that. I think the only place I'd heard of that being done was at the mcdonalds drive through, ha.

Though I'm not exactly well traveled, and I take my coffee black, so I would be less likely to notice, anyways.

first off, if there are any Vancouver baristas I'll be heading to a Bean around the World cupping seminar/training session soon so a meetup could be a good time

also, anyone ever tried Norwegian Egg coffee?

just read about it/watched the video on the ritual site, got me curious

(my boss is looking to expand his horizons, so anything is possible, I already talked him into getting on the clover train)