What are your jeans doing today?

ninetynine

love your 301s shub. hiking is so much fun especially when you get to see them rattlers/

to top it all off, indian food after a hike for the win!

zeen, the 301S are surprisingly breathable...it was a hot day for Bay Area standards -- say, 80F...and I didn't feel like I was compromising at all (in the name of denim-head-stubbornness). Actually, after seeing those rattlers slithering and sliding toward me, I wouldn't go hiking in anything else but Iron Hearts !

Had a bit of time this evening, the wife was out with my daughter at the in-laws for dinner (i decided I needed some "me" time tonight) so i took the car out and headed into NE Minneapolis, an area I haven't even touched with my camera yet. This is going to be considered Pt. 1, after wandering for a few wonderful hours in sweltering summer heat, I can't wait to come back and check out some of the local artists shops (there's a really cool dug in community here, a bit like my own artist community, but much older, and I have to say much more developed), coffee shops, and bars.

the journey begins with a great tag I found along East Hennepin and Central Ave.

4918253957_41fa741dc8_z.jpg

nothing like a bit of luck as I begin my wander through the northeast artist corridor...

4918253299_a8498d93cd_z.jpg

4918852086_271fe15efc_z.jpg

4918250769_08384e0aa2_z.jpg

4918846308_d4f8a33f3b_z.jpg

as the sun began to set, again its the rail tracks that bring me where I want to go...I basically traced this line from behind my loft all the way here, so from now on, I don't need to bother driving anywhere, I can just get here the easy way...This time there's a locomotive inbound.

4918850094_9c2d2bf876_z.jpg

4918245337_0885400059_z.jpg

set the camera down for a bit of posing...

4918249607_ab6cca9fd6_z.jpg

it was really fucking hot and humid today. so the dusty summer air gave way to a pretty good example of a hot looking sunset. snapped this on hwy 280 as I was driving home. focus is soft, but i was going 65mph...

4918241897_454ce28176_b.jpg

the moon was up as well as I was pulling into my building.

4918840084_3644509cfb_z.jpg

night all...

I spend a lot of my time learning how to see. Most often, we look at things. Seeing is different. This is specially difficult in your own surroundings as you are used to everything so you're on auto pilot.

As a mental exercise, I continuously try to challenge myself to see things in a new way.

99% of the time, I'm doing my thinking and seeing in denim.

Here are some pics from Today.

Study in Chiaroscuro

IMG_1535.jpg

IMG_1536.jpg

IMG_1487.jpg

IMG_1343.jpg

IMG_1521.jpg

IMG_1530.jpg

IMG_1516.jpg

Cheers!!!

those are really good pictures farhad. i find it really hard to believe that they were shot on an iphone (assuming they were). thats why i am always in awe of how people can continuously shoot on a daily basis around the same places/objects and things that they are accustomed to. looking is much more than seeing and that is what always eludes me. amazing pictures again.

I need to find a classic car movie to watch today or at least a movie with a classic car.

More of a summer fof '62. but American Graffiti has a lot of nice cars. Though they slip and have a few non era correct cars in the movie, it's still nice to see them all driving around.

But it wasn't made in 1962, but 1973.

And the bonus features of Gran Tarino, there is a whole lot of American Muscle Car talk. I need to get that DVD.

That's all that I can think about, from the top of my head.

^^ Nice shots you guys!

Well, after a long day of meetings, conf calls & general firefighting, I'm back home.... And the girls are out for the evening!

So I'm gonna settle in and enjoy....

24cf6443.jpg

sorry for the longass post but today was my first day off in 2 weeks, been working hard to earn that extra cash for the trip to sydney in a couple of weeks. stoked as fuck about that but today was a good day because i got to spend some alone time as well as run a couple of errands.

started the day off in my favourite muji shirt, skulls and clarks dbs. i always liked the pattern and colour on this shirt and i have plans to turn them into pocket bags the day they decide to fall apart. would look pretty wicked as pocket bags i think.

R1000821.jpg

grabbed lunch nearby. been having this for the past 3 days, damn i can't get sick of it. its one of my comfort foods and when i eat it, i can go on for days having it. simple meal called kolo mee which originated from Sarawak (i think). noodles with minced pork, sweet barbequed pork, spring onions, shallots and just noodles. simple meal but tasted awesome. washed it down with a cold milo on a hot hot day.

R1000823.jpg

first agenda of the day was to head out to grab some magazines. this is the denim thread so what else to expect other than LIGHTNING magazine? i must admit the price kind of threw me back but hell, i dont always buy magazines so why not?

R1000828.jpg

got there and realised that the other issue (denim buyer's guide) was out of stock. thank goodness the kind lady called up the other kinokuniya bookstore and fortunately for me they had the last copy available there, which i would pick up later in the day!looked around for a bit to check out some other magazines.

honeyee which i always browse but dont buy

R1000830.jpg

manga styled magazines for almostnice

R1000831.jpg

of course they had to have thrashy things like these as well, how else would they make money!

R1000832.jpg

headed down next to the denim store which stocks brands like nudie, pbj, flathead, imperial etc as well as the recently restocked sugar cane. denim looked pretty decent on the hawaii and the okinawa.

R1000840.jpg

decided to try on a pair of hawaii but lets just say it didnt work out for me. the waist was too small unsanfornized but they still fit like MC hammer pants for me. guess i had to make a pass on those.

R1000838.jpg

they had some flathead as well, mainly the 4001, 3001, F310 and the F380. didnt try those on but somehow i think i'll tryout flathed denim someday. someday when i havent had too much to buy in a month. next inazuma festival perhaps?

R1000841.jpg

being a bloody hot day, i had to grab a cheapass McD's cone. cheap is good though! fast relief for sweltering 80F heat!

R1000844.jpg

sorry for the longass post but today was my first day off in 2 weeks, been working hard to earn that extra cash for the trip to sydney in a couple of weeks. stoked as fuck about that but today was a good day because i got to spend some alone time as well as run a couple of errands.

started the day off in my favourite muji shirt, skulls and clarks dbs. i always liked the pattern and colour on this shirt and i have plans to turn them into pocket bags the day they decide to fall apart. would look pretty wicked as pocket bags i think.

R1000821.jpg

grabbed lunch nearby. been having this for the past 3 days, damn i can't get sick of it. its one of my comfort foods and when i eat it, i can go on for days having it. simple meal called kolo mee which originated from Sarawak (i think). noodles with minced pork, sweet barbequed pork, spring onions, shallots and just noodles. simple meal but tasted awesome. washed it down with a cold milo on a hot hot day.

R1000823.jpg

first agenda of the day was to head out to grab some magazines. this is the denim thread so what else to expect other than LIGHTNING magazine? i must admit the price kind of threw me back but hell, i dont always buy magazines so why not?

R1000828.jpg

got there and realised that the other issue (denim buyer's guide) was out of stock. thank goodness the kind lady called up the other kinokuniya bookstore and fortunately for me they had the last copy available there, which i would pick up later in the day!looked around for a bit to check out some other magazines.

honeyee which i always browse but dont buy

R1000830.jpg

manga styled magazines for almostnice

R1000831.jpg

of course they had to have thrashy things like these as well, how else would they make money!

R1000832.jpg

headed down next to the denim store which stocks brands like nudie, pbj, flathead, imperial etc as well as the recently restocked sugar cane. denim looked pretty decent on the hawaii and the okinawa.

R1000840.jpg

decided to try on a pair of hawaii but lets just say it didnt work out for me. the waist was too small unsanfornized but they still fit like MC hammer pants for me. guess i had to make a pass on those.

R1000838.jpg

they had some flathead as well, mainly the 4001, 3001, F310 and the F380. didnt try those on but somehow i think i'll tryout flathed denim someday. someday when i havent had too much to buy in a month. next inazuma festival perhaps?

R1000841.jpg

being a bloody hot day, i had to grab a cheapass McD's cone. cheap is good though! fast relief for sweltering 80F heat!

R1000844.jpg

next stop was the museum which i havent been to in a long time. always a good place to go to on a day off (but not the weekends because its shit crowded). my girlfriend and i used to come here from time to time and it was really fun. caught an exhibition by Cai Guo Qiang from China, his works are exhibited in many cities and this was part of his exhibition titled "Head On". pretty massive and i was taken aback by the scale of it. marvellous stuff. pity my camera couldnt pick up proper shots since it was too dark and no flash photography was allowed. but you can read more about the exhibition from the picture i took of the description.

description of the exhibition

R1000921.jpg

99 live sized wolves combined to form an arc which showed the arc of force and power. each wolf was probably slightly bigger than 3/4 the size of me, so you can imagine that the exhibition was pretty massive.

R1000920.jpg

shots from underneath it

R1000924.jpg

artist interpretation of them running through the glass "invisible" wall

R1000925.jpg

close-up shot

R1000905.jpg

this was another part of the exhibition by the same artist which he made use of gunpowder to trace the outlines and shapes of the wolves on paper before he blew them up. pretty smart and amazing guy.

R1000852.jpg

i think this video would explain it a lot better than i do. not the same piece as i viewed but the same method of creation.

MrTrKJQnwJs&p=7819AF3F40A0FFBA&playnext=1&index=4

after the museum i decided that there was another little exhibition nearby that i wanted to catch. it was a pity that i didnt stay long enough to find out more about what was going on but i managed to grab a few shots.

tatebanko goodness titled "Eccentric City - Rise and Fall" by locals :phunk studio and Japanese, Keiichi Tanaami. i thought it showcased a lot about local culture and its customs and culture as well as the colours of a multi-racial society. playing in the background were sounds from traditional music which i thought played a huge part in helping me interpret what this was about.

R1000864.jpg

you can see from the picture that each block was painted on different sides with black and white and on another side colours.

R1000869.jpg

from different angles you could view the whole thing from a completely different perspective. didnt get to look at details much since the gallery was closing pretty soon but i think i'll come back another day to check it out again.

R1000873.jpg

next stop was the museum which i havent been to in a long time. always a good place to go to on a day off (but not the weekends because its shit crowded). my girlfriend and i used to come here from time to time and it was really fun. caught an exhibition by Cai Guo Qiang from China, his works are exhibited in many cities and this was part of his exhibition titled "Head On". pretty massive and i was taken aback by the scale of it. marvellous stuff. pity my camera couldnt pick up proper shots since it was too dark and no flash photography was allowed. but you can read more about the exhibition from the picture i took of the description.

description of the exhibition

R1000921.jpg

99 live sized wolves combined to form an arc which showed the arc of force and power. each wolf was probably slightly bigger than 3/4 the size of me, so you can imagine that the exhibition was pretty massive.

R1000920.jpg

shots from underneath it

R1000924.jpg

artist interpretation of them running through the glass "invisible" wall

R1000925.jpg

close-up shot

R1000905.jpg

this was another part of the exhibition by the same artist which he made use of gunpowder to trace the outlines and shapes of the wolves on paper before he blew them up. pretty smart and amazing guy.

R1000852.jpg

i think this video would explain it a lot better than i do. not the same piece as i viewed but the same method of creation.

MrTrKJQnwJs&p=7819AF3F40A0FFBA&playnext=1&index=4

after the museum i decided that there was another little exhibition nearby that i wanted to catch. it was a pity that i didnt stay long enough to find out more about what was going on but i managed to grab a few shots.

tatebanko goodness titled "Eccentric City - Rise and Fall" by locals :phunk studio and Japanese, Keiichi Tanaami. i thought it showcased a lot about local culture and its customs and culture as well as the colours of a multi-racial society. playing in the background were sounds from traditional music which i thought played a huge part in helping me interpret what this was about.

R1000864.jpg

you can see from the picture that each block was painted on different sides with black and white and on another side colours.

R1000869.jpg

from different angles you could view the whole thing from a completely different perspective. didnt get to look at details much since the gallery was closing pretty soon but i think i'll come back another day to check it out again.

R1000873.jpg

another part of the exhibition also feature a projector which showcased short animations which were projected onto a large blank book. to get a better idea you can check out the video below. pretty simple concept but fascinating for me to watch and realise how lovely it was if the words you read turned into moving images

Uf0A8hac404

after the gallery i popped by the other kinokuniya outlet to pick up what i had reserved earlier on. the elusive copy which i missed out earlier on. it was worth the trip afterall. funny thing i was wondering about was if denim was the focus in only volumes 47, 62 and 72. were there issues inbetween that were denim focused as well?

R1000876.jpg

some goodies for mr robocop roy as well.

R1000877.jpg

left after that to head down to get my deadstock french army F-2 jacket altered at my regular tailors as well. they are too huge in the arms and too broad for me so i had to get them resized. picking them up before my trip to sydney though, that would take a while because of their packed working schedules these two weeks.

R1000884.jpg

final agenda of the day was to attend a local, yearly, 3-day music festival, which aims to showcase upcoming local bands as well as artistes around the region. lineup wasn't fantastic this year but there were some notable bands. didn't get too many pictures but here's one.

R1000885.jpg

spotted this guy in the crowd with a pair of levis red tabbed with green selvage and checked inner linings. I.D this please Paul if you will? how much should i size down if i want to buy this? do i really have to wear them for 6 months before letting them touch water? do they do skinny jeans for LVC?

R1000881.jpg

met up with some friends and enjoyed the bands that played. one of the said friends brought along his foldable bicycle. lovely stuff for city commuting since they are allowed on buses and trains if there ever be a need to use them.

R1000888.jpg

all in all it was a fulfilling day, singapore isn't really that boring afterall! sorry for the picture overload and crazy long post but have a great sufu day guys and girls!

another part of the exhibition also feature a projector which showcased short animations which were projected onto a large blank book. to get a better idea you can check out the video below. pretty simple concept but fascinating for me to watch and realise how lovely it was if the words you read turned into moving images

Uf0A8hac404

after the gallery i popped by the other kinokuniya outlet to pick up what i had reserved earlier on. the elusive copy which i missed out earlier on. it was worth the trip afterall. funny thing i was wondering about was if denim was the focus in only volumes 47, 62 and 72. were there issues inbetween that were denim focused as well?

R1000876.jpg

some goodies for mr robocop roy as well.

R1000877.jpg

left after that to head down to get my deadstock french army F-2 jacket altered at my regular tailors as well. they are too huge in the arms and too broad for me so i had to get them resized. picking them up before my trip to sydney though, that would take a while because of their packed working schedules these two weeks.

R1000884.jpg

final agenda of the day was to attend a local, yearly, 3-day music festival, which aims to showcase upcoming local bands as well as artistes around the region. lineup wasn't fantastic this year but there were some notable bands. didn't get too many pictures but here's one.

R1000885.jpg

spotted this guy in the crowd with a pair of levis red tabbed with green selvage and checked inner linings. I.D this please Paul if you will? how much should i size down if i want to buy this? do i really have to wear them for 6 months before letting them touch water? do they do skinny jeans for LVC?

R1000881.jpg

met up with some friends and enjoyed the bands that played. one of the said friends brought along his foldable bicycle. lovely stuff for city commuting since they are allowed on buses and trains if there ever be a need to use them.

R1000888.jpg

all in all it was a fulfilling day, singapore isn't really that boring afterall! sorry for the picture overload and crazy long post but have a great sufu day guys and girls!

Ranon I've been to one of his exhibitions in NYC. It was amazing!!!

Beatle nice IH meet up. I got my Hawaiis yesterday. thanks for the help on the sizing. Soaked them already and they came out spot on :)

Pics are from yesterday. was gonna take fit pics today but I woke up feeling sick as a dog.

IMG_1544.jpg

Love the details on these

IMG_1546.jpg

IMG_1547.jpg

IMG_1549.jpg

Indigo soup!!!

IMG_1550.jpg

Cheers!!!