The PT Cruiser (un)appreciation threak.

Mr Waffles

most of all y'all niggaz is too young to remember, but when the original Neon came out with the 'say hi to Neon' (always a Daul Kim concept) it was supposed to change the American car industry and save it from what it became 15 years later.

i'm right with you my nigga.

niggas was trippin on the PT's in '98 or whenever the fuck the came out b/c they were supposedly a "throwback" to the hot rods and shit of the '50s, especially w/ that white cue ball lookin shifter. we're talking wait-lists of 6-9 months at the dealership to cop when the first came out. shit was like the supreme kermit t of cars.

niggas was trippin on the PT's in '98 or whenever the fuck the came out b/c they were supposedly a "throwback" to the hot rods and shit of the '50s, especially w/ that white cue ball lookin shifter. we're talking wait-lists of 6-9 months at the dealership to cop when the first came out. shit was like the supreme kermit t of cars.

LOL I remember those days, I always used to see PT cruisers back then.. Now only the old people in the ghetto will have one, most of them have the sense to get a Charger or 300 though.

it's like the kind of people who drive Boxters and think they are ballin' because it's a Porsche... for christs sake you are driving an entry level porsche that you probably can only barely afford

911 is where it's at or the Cayman, other Porsches are for posers and dickheads

the cayman is a boxster with a hard top and just as many wanna be douchebags drive them.

the cayman is a boxster with a hard top and just as many wanna be douchebags drive them.

Yeah I was gonna say. The Boxster isn't inherently a bad car, it's actually quite a good car, it's just that it's the European Miata. I dislike the looks of both the Boxster and Cayman but they'd probably be fun to beat the hell out of. I drove a 2.7 Boxster once and it was pretty disappointing overall but I think the S with at least an exhaust on it or something would be decent.

Detroit is acting pretty innocent these days, but they knew all along they were making trash. Anyone who's ever been in a 1990's or 2000's GM car knows how ridiculously bad they are.

The Cobalt replacement (Chevy Cruze? or something) is a Daewoo car, Daewoo design and it will be badge engineered for the world. It actually doesn't come off as a terrible car and is about the size of a 3-series, has nice lines, but then again when people buy them as stripper models on little 14" steelies and get parking lot bumps all over them, they'll probably look prety trashy. Still, a big step up from what Chevrolet has put out before. I can't say I'd drive one, but it's not the shitbox the Cobalt is.

The Cobalt isn't a bad car actually. The turbo SS version is one of the best FWD cars ever. I'd love to get my hands on an SS sedan. Total sleepers, unlike the gaudy coupes.

And I actually like the PT Cruiser. In many ways it revolutionized the American automotive landscape...without the PT Cruiser, would we have gotten the Mini Cooper? The Honda Fit? The Versa? etc...

Edit - I have to address the Boxster/Cayman bashing. Are you guys serious?

The Cayman S is dynamically superior to the base 911, and it has far less HP, costs less to maintain, and is more fuel-efficient, not to mention lighter. If you want a rear seat, the 911 wins...and if you want to impress a bunch of other dudes, the 911 wins. But on the track the Cayman's layout makes for a better more balanced car. If Porsche's ego would allow it to equip the Cayman with a proper motor, it would obliterate the 911.

I think Porsche's strategy should be to develop the Cayman as the ultimate performance vehicle in the lineup, with the 911 finding a more sport-touring role. Imagine Cayman GT2 or GT3? Those would be some of the wickedest factory cars ever built.