Any denim heads around in South East Asia?

bunga

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it just rained for like half an hour - better than nothing - at least i can sleep well tonight haha...definitely will prefer wet and cool than hot as hell like it is right now.

demonito is definitely hardcore, heads will travel to HK just to go to take five? that's some dedication, mind if i ask how much discount you can get and how you go about getting a card?

well apart from a couple other friends and a few thrift store owners that i know there's no many other collectors or fans but i do know some of them have vintage stuff dating back to the '50s etc.

@stewie - guess we'll have to do one before you leave then. ;)

@ bunga - The cheapest (if you could call it that!) to get Japanese denim would be Japan. That would require a proxy. Take 5 would be the nearest if you want your denim exactly as you would get in Japan with tabs and arctuates. On top of that they also have a chain stitching machine.

The other options would be Self Edge and BiG and since they are located in the USA their denim would be minus tabs and arcs. Pricing wise I would say that Take 5 would be slightly cheaper.

Singapore - QC used to be the place to get your Sugarcane but they are not bringing them in anymore. The other place you could try although I have not been there, would be ARC at Esplanade Drive. I heard they carry Omnigod, Denime, Fullcount and KMW. I would be there when Liverpool visit Singapore in July!

I was wondering about the number of denim freaks in Malaysia. Good to know there are some. Moved to Finland 6 months back and waiting to get back to Malaysia. Family there just dropped an email yesterday telling me that the weather is still rather warm. Should there be a rendez-vous next year I am in, heh...

guys, is fabfour the only place i can go to buy skull?

how about singapore? is there any shop selling those?

really want to try em on first.

You can get them here in Bangkok too :D - though there's only one shop that I know of.

BTW count me in for a Thai denim head. Been dragging my rain-soaked ass in PBJ 007 around the streets for the whole week.

@denim nut - yup that's what i been relying on, friends and a proxy in Japan who happened to be very very reliable, message me if you're interested. there is a shop in campbell that does chainstiching, price is reasonable too - do you know about it?

would only really buy from Self Edge or BIG if they have exclusives or models that's sold out in Japan really, because at the end of the day it still works out cheaper to buy from Japan, even if you're using a proxy.

shame about QC really....you have the address for ARC? wouldn't mind checking it out.

@tony stark - there's a lot of collectors/freaks, some of the older middle aged collectors that i know of have really awesome collections but they're just not on the net for some reason. let us know when you come back to KL!

hi navaro :)

hey paean - where you're from?

KL sufu meet-up: anyone free for a meet-up this Sunday, say at about 4pm in the evening? just meet-up say hi, have a drink, bring some of your current favs to show and maybe even a swap meet? Bangsar sounds good?

@tony stark - there's a lot of collectors/freaks, some of the older middle aged collectors that i know of have really awesome collections but they're just not on the net for some reason. let us know when you come back to KL!

Good to know, thanks. Will definately let ya know once I'm back to Malaysia! Haha, hoping to get back to Malaysia before the end of the year but latest will get back to visit the family during the Chinese New Year. Prosperous day to y'all...

aaah ARC is Actually....thought it was Alife Rivington Club or something. how are their prices?

@denim nut - take the escalator to thehe 1st floor, make a left U-turn once you reach the 1st floor, its the 2nd shop facing you on the right. the guy there share a space with another dude selling leather shoes. look for the sign "jahit rantai" hehe. RM20-25 bucks to hem and chainstich a pair of jeans, if you're a regular you might get a cheaper price. suggest you send a few pairs at one go maybe you can ask for a slight discount then.

well so far only 2 or 3 people are free this Sunday so we'll see how it goes? by tomorrow evening should have a better idea.

stewie - come join us before you leave =)

@tony stark - will do....keep in touch.

@tony stark

@denim nut - take the escalator to thehe 1st floor, make a left U-turn once you reach the 1st floor, its the 2nd shop facing you on the right. the guy there share a space with another dude selling leather shoes. look for the sign "jahit rantai" hehe. RM20-25 bucks to hem and chainstich a pair of jeans, if you're a regular you might get a cheaper price. suggest you send a few pairs at one go maybe you can ask for a slight discount then.

where the hell it is? i want to chainsitch one of my jeans so bad!!!! i tried za-altera but they couldnt. is it in BB or what?

stewie, do you know where is campbell complex? its along jalan tuanku abdul rahman, right across the road from sogo shopping complex. follow my instructions but the owner is currently on leave, balik kampung for a week.

navaro - let us know when you're coming :D

where the hell it is? i want to chainsitch one of my jeans so bad!!!! i tried za-altera but they couldnt. is it in BB or what?[/quote

@ bunga - Thanks a lot. Will check it out soon and I mean real soon and will report back here. Imagine a chain stitching service in KL!!!

Also let me know where you guys are meeting up and the time. I will try to make it.

@stewiegriffin - Campbell Kompleks is not a difficult place to find. Just get to Sogo (and there is only one in the whole of KL) and go to the entrance facing Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman. Cross the street at the junction where you can see the pre-war shops towards Jalan Dang Wangi and about 50 metres you can see it on your right. Can't miss it. Sell jeans and leather stuff. Next to the Dang Wangi Police Station.

stewie - no worries if they don't give a shit, as long as they know where the place is lol

denim nut - the chainstitch guy balik kampung and won't be back for another week, so better go next week instead. just went couple days back and he wasn't around. still not too sure about the meet-up, looks like we don't have enough denim heads lol.

No worries bunga, I thought if can should still meet up. It's might even be only 2 guys but it's a start.

Yeah the local denim scene sucks big time with everybody going ga-ga over 7 or True Religion. Part of it is due to lack of knowledge on denim's heritage. Also raw denim are non existent in Malaysia and rather costly to acquire and our weather doesn't exactly encourage thick denim usage.

Dudes, just got back from the chain stitching shop introduced by bunga and I can confirm that the guy is back! And yes he does have a chain stitching machine!!!!! Let me repeat a chain stitching machine in KL!!!Not a union special mind you but a singer but chain stitching still chain stitching and you do get a roping effect. Cost RM25/=

Spend a good hour jawing with him and I told him to put an English sign on the window saying "CHAIN STITCHING". For those who don't understand Bahasa, see the word "JAHITAN RANTAI" on the bottom of his display window.

His shop is exactly opposite the escalator going to the 2nd floor under the banner HORS LEATHER.