Slim fit minimalist clothing?

madgrad

<...I own several AA t-shirts in medium and small. The small is long enough to cover my belt normally...>

even with the mics and cure? that's interesting: i'm shorter than you, wear an AA large, and the T's hit at my beltline with higher-waisted jeans. but i have kind of a long torso.

out of curiousity, are you at UofMD? i went to h.s. in suburban MD (rockville), know some people who went to UMd. college park is kind of a style desert--you definitely are on the bleeding edge here. what kind of reaction are you getting to the cures/mic?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to grad school in downtown Baltimore, so yes it is a style desert. The only reaction I've gotten from my classmates is how the hell did I get so skinny and am I dying.

When I've gone out though I've gotten a positive reaction to them, especially from one of my coworkers.

Quote:

fadetoblack- not hating at all, just curious... i've seen some a bunch of your posts in waywt-200 bucks for a t-shirt shouldn't be all that outrageous to you, judging by lots of the other stuff you own...

?

--- Original message by nairb49 on Jan 28, 2006 06:37 AM

as far as i can tell, he owns a lot of great pieces that are probaly pretty expensive, but great quality and worth the money, i doubt it fdtb had a tshirt worth 200 bucks, and anyway no tee is worth that amount

''I'm a street-walking cheetah with a heart full of napalm/i'm a runaway son of the nuclear A-bomb/I am the world's forgotten boy/The one who searches and destroys''...James Jewel Osterberg

Guest Fade to Black
Quote:

fadetoblack- not hating at all, just curious... i've seen some a bunch of your posts in waywt-200 bucks for a t-shirt shouldn't be all that outrageous to you, judging by lots of the other stuff you own...

?

--- Original message by nairb49 on Jan 28, 2006 06:37 AM

Well, it's all relative. For a well made, high quality button down shirt, $200 is reasonable. However, I personally don't own a t-shirt that costs $200, and wouldn't pay that much for a t-shirt anyway...i have some t-shirts in the $100 range by Yohji/Y's, Undercover, Helmut Lang (either discounted or already started at that price), and to me they're worth the amount as the quality and details are solid. It's still a lot of money for a t-shirt, but the Dior tees are just ridiculous to me as not only is the quality not there (poor choice of materials), but they're so basic with similar alternatives from American Apparel and what not that one would have to be a major fashion victim to justify that kind of purchase.

Even when Dior tees were of higher quality (like the VotC ones I mentioned with the leather shoulder epaulettes and thicker cotton), they were priced accordingly so and I still found it way too much to spend on a t-shirt. Once I realized the value of things and how much is actually put into the production of a garment, it's hard for me to justify many designer purchases nowadays...putting things into perspective, yes they're all overpriced, but sometimes it really just isn't worth it.

Well I went to a local AA store today and went a little nuts spending but now I know how everything fits and can order for much cheaper at wholesale prices online. I picked up 4 t shirts in size small, 2 thermals in size small, and 3 track jackets size medium. The small track jackets were fit well if a bit snug but they were almost obscenely short. They covered about half of my belt line and if I so much as moved an inch they rode up and exposed my stomach like a drunken soroity slut.

Here are some horrible pics to show how the T shirts and jacket fit

jeans0158lv.jpg

jeans0203wd.jpg

jeans0214mw.jpg

jeans0254uo.jpg

jeans0228tc.jpg

All in all, I'm very pleased with the look. It's what I've been wanting for a while and now it's almost complete. I want to find a pair of good looking narrow sneakers now other than Jack Purcells/Chucks, because I already ordered one pair and would like a little variety.

If anyone wants to pimp a set black sneaker, let me know!

It's indeed improving. How do you feel with cardigans? Remember wear the clothes with sexyness, you can look as good as your clothes but if you don't feel good you won't look good!

Don't trim your beard too much, keep it unshaved for like every three days. Wast improvement.

I'd recommend you to look at the following searches.. Might provide you with some inspiration.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=unknown&sbrftog=1&maxrecordsreturned=300&frpp=50&from=R10&satitle=pony+sneakers&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&bs=Search&fsop=1%26fsoo%3D1&coaction=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search&fgtp=&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis=200&fpos=ZIP%2FPostal&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=

www.rag-nation.com - designer outlet. Definitely fancy stuff, but I think you should keep the class with knitwear and the like.

DON'T YOU WANNA BE COOL

Quote:

It's indeed improving. How do you feel with cardigans? Remember wear the clothes with sexyness, you can look as good as your clothes but if you don't feel good you won't look good!

Don't trim your beard too much, keep it unshaved for like every three days. Wast improvement.

I'd recommend you to look at the following searches.. Might provide you with some inspiration.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=unknown&sbrftog=1&maxrecordsreturned=300&frpp=50&from=R10&satitle=pony+sneakers&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&bs=Search&fsop=1%26fsoo%3D1&coaction=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search&fgtp=&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis=200&fpos=ZIP%2FPostal&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=

www.rag-nation.com - designer outlet. Definitely fancy stuff, but I think you should keep the class with knitwear and the like.

--- Original message by skecr8r on Jan 29, 2006 08:43 AM

Cardigans are difficult to pull off at first, being old-manish and all. Only certains brands make some good ones so I'd watch out before getting one.

BTW I agree on the Ponys, those are some kickass retro shoes...he should definitely get some high-top ponys for cheap (can get 2 pairs, one in white, one in a flashier color like red/orange/etc) they'll go along well with his slim jeans.

Quote:

Oh and if I was a large I'd definitely get this:

http://www.rag-nation.com/january24/m26.html

Mileage may vary though....

i'm definitely in the minority here, but i'm just not feeling those jeans. i realize that this is the new trend, as well as a response to bootcut, but i think you need to go for a slim straight leg rather than a super slim tapered jean. it just looks feminine. there's no other way to put it. i'll bet you that if you can locate a pair of '47 LVCs, you'll be much more pleased with the outcome.

Quote:

i'm definitely in the minority here, but i'm just not feeling those jeans. i realize that this is the new trend, as well as a response to bootcut, but i think you need to go for a slim straight leg rather than a super slim tapered jean. it just looks feminine. there's no other way to put it. i'll bet you that if you can locate a pair of '47 LVCs, you'll be much more pleased with the outcome.

--- Original message by giantreptile on Jan 30, 2006 07:33 AM

Hate to break it to you friend but slim, straight leg jeans are the new trend. Skinny tapered jeans have been utilized in high fashion and among a few indie rock circles but most designers and people on the street still stick to bootcut/straight.

Quote:

I actually love cardigans and would have no problem paying good money for one that actually fit well.

--- Original message by madgrad on Jan 29, 2006 08:44 PM

Expensive but very nice, I would recommend Nom de Guerre cardigans, the one that has dots on it.

Quote:
Quote:

Hate to break it to you friend but slim, straight leg jeans are the new trend. Skinny tapered jeans have been utilized in high fashion and among a few indie rock circles but most designers and people on the street still stick to bootcut/straight.

--- Original message by verb on Jan 30, 2006 09:56 AM

really? if it's just a trend now how come gucci, helmut lang, jil sander, and bally never stopped making slim straight leg since the late '90s? i realize the tapered look has been in the hipster and punk world, but it is definitely the trendy new look for high fashion. straight legs, slim or otherwise, have been a staple- not a trend. besides, you're splitting hairs- my point was that those tapered jeans looked feminine.

Edited by giantreptile on Jan 30, 2006 at 10:47 AM

Quote:

I agree with him, and I actually really like super slim/tapered look on the right person. However, I think the super slim/tapered look only looks good if it's worn slouchy and baggy while still remaining very slim. When it's too tight around the ass and thighs, it just looks very feminine to me.

This DH look from S/S 05 is probably the best example of what I mean:

00038m.jpg

Quote:

This DH look from S/S 05 is probably the best example of what I mean:

00038m.jpg

--- Original message by Dangydang on Jan 30, 2006 02:47 PM

I actually prefer F/W 04 (VotC) but can't seem to find pics of it anymore on Firstview. Does anyone happen to have a link?

Edited by verb on Jan 30, 2006 at 05:03 PM

IIRC, Firstview has stopped archiving Dior in general after a dispute with LVMH, and they just cleaned house and removed the hidden folders. ;_;

On the topic of jean cut, I'm a big fan of the straight-leg cut, ie Helmut Lang. I don't know how easily you'll find size 30/31's in your inseam length, though.

Edited by macuser3of5 on Jan 30, 2006 at 05:17 PM

Quote:

Hey skecr8r you`re obviously wise for your age and you`re a model and shit and know what you`re talking about. how about critiquing some other people on SF? Guys that post in the What are you wearing thread. What do you think of their style? What about me? C`mon, be harsh, I can take it. Start a whole new thread even: `skecer8r`s style reviews.`

Be Advised: Morgan Nixon AKA Moman631 AKA Moman6040 is a fraud.