Varsity Jackets

down4nyhc

Someone posted this on sf yesterday but felt it was appropriate for this thread.

Varsity jackets will always be cool

SlaterChristian.jpg

dismal, you got enough on your plate... but when time permits, i'd love to see a picture of the new leathers you got.
do coloured snaps cost extra? i like the sample jacket but with black snaps instead of white

Jack, here we go man, here's a little of what I have at home in stock in the way of fabrics/leathers.

Snaps will not cost extra for basic colors on hand (white, beige, black, varsity red or navy) and you can put black snaps on the black body, and so forth, no problem...

you can have any custom color you'd like though, and the surcharge for custom color snaps will be $10 and 1-2 extra days wait, because I gotta go get those enameled on order (and also have an exact color swatch to give to the enameler to match)...

Anyhow, a few pics of some stuff i have at the house:

Leathers: (off white/beige/cream whatever you want to call it (this was on the sample too), basic black, oxblood (which looks more reddish in person) and then that grey-taupe vegetable dyed leather, which has a slightly 3D sheen; it can appear matte'ish at low angles and then sometimes glossy at different angles, it's a light coating they put on it, it's extremely RO drkshdw'y in person)

two views to get an idea of the sheen:

leathers.jpg

leatherstop.jpg

I got a sizable quantity of navy cashmere now, and I also got this funky trad beige/navy/red tri-stripe trim if anyone wanted to go that way, I think it'd look nice made up with a navy body and cream sleeves:

navybeige.jpg

I'm thinking about Oxblood leather/varsity red wool/varsity red soli trim for my personal jacket:

stripedtrim.jpg

Then I think the Navy wool and Grey veggie dyed leather would look nice too:

navygrey.jpg

Just some ideas.... there is lot more, leather-wise, so feel free to ask..

ethanlee: I'm the same size as you, on the dot, but I'm built wide in the shoulders, super skinny, so it's hard to say. It really depends on your personal shoulder measurement, whether you want the 16.5 or 17.5" shoulders and then consider the arm lengths. If you have short arms, size down so the curve of the sleeves matches better; if you have long arms, you may want to size up to the 46. Remember that the sizes are only 5% apart, so the 44-46 jump isn't as noticeable as say the 44 vs 48.

you're keepin the body/sleeve lining the same as the sample yea? btw what size would you suggest for a 5'8 125lb frame, 44 or 46?

btw the lining will stay the same. The sleeve silk lining may not be the exact same textile but I will stay silk and keep it a nice contrast color, I may also play around with alternate lining colorways too or take order suggestions.

ooooo that trim looks nais. dismal can you wrap that trim around your wrist and take a pic to show how it would look like as a cuff?

Brad, quick little mock sleeve pic with that trim, the beige of the knit trim picks up light and diffuses it better than leather can, so the two tones look off in the digital camera pic, but in real life they are nigh the same. I'd maybe consider the beige tri-stripe on the waistband and collar to contrast with the navy wool, then put solid navy cuffs (I have a perfectly matching navy rib trim too).. I dunno, up to people's taste I guess.

creamcream.jpg

the two reds are a bit different Brad, and the tri-stripe is dominated by navy so I think navy wool + beige leather with tri-stripe is the best option there. I think that particular colorway might be a personal jacket I make for myself later on too, it'll look especially nice with that light blue cottom lining. Super cute. The TOJ makes 'heterosexual cute' clothes, the idea is that you wear TOJ clothes and J-beezys will come up to you and feel your clothes and go 'kawaii!'. I am acid-testing the products here at home.

I'm still looking for small quantities of double white stripe trim but I want people to keep in mind that matching the color plus white stripes is very limiting, it means you have to have that color wool body with pure white sleeves, beige will not be an option, nor would other color sleeves like the washed grey leatehr.

I do occasioanlly see freak double striped trim in like black/yellow stripes or really off combos, but I doubt too many people canary yellow sleeves with black body.

What size is best for me? Im 178cm (5'10) and 68kg.

Same advice as I gave ethanlee, you sound between a 46-48 (probably a 48) but it all depends on your shoulder and sleeve preferences. Figure out if you want 17.5 or 18.5" shoulders and 26.3 or 25.5"'ish sleeves, respectively. Again it's only a 5% difference but that also just means there's one size that's just that much better for you and one size that's not, I'm thinking you go 48.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I recall reading that these have foldback cuffs... if that's the case, is the sleeve measurement taken with the cuff folded or unfolded? If unfolded, then the sleeve would actually be two inches or so shorter when folded, right?

Good question actually, I wasn't clear about that, but yes, the sleeve measurement is the whole thing but with the foldback cuffs folded back once, so in other words, if one were to order a non-foldback cuff, the measurement would be just the same too.

I gotta cut my 50 and 52 in a sec, but I'm thinking you could do either or depending on how big around your upper arms are and how you want it to fit. The armholes are high'ish on this but if you can do fashunz then you can do TOJ.

I got some orphaned chunky rib trim (didn't match any color wool I could find) upstairs but my camera battery has gone flat. My standard ribbing I think is called a 2 X 1 (? I can't remember right now) and looks 'flat' and stretches nicely...

The chunky rib trim isn't guaranteed to match the colors of wool I've got, they don't have exactly the same colors of rib trim as the millions of fabrics in the market, so it's all a crapshoot, I get what I can get. The chunky rib trim is exactly as it sounds, it's 3mm rounded wales like a ribbed sweater (look at the Skookums for an example, they all use this), it'd be appropriate for fall/winter wear but I'm not sure about it's appropriateness for Spring, so I haven't been worrying about it for right now. Maybe in a few months when I get some more colors

man, I really gotta stop drinking wine and fucking all day. I will get those 50's and 52's ready soon, and I'm gonna put up an official size chart and updted list of material/build options as well.

3 Temple of Jawnz varsities are now circling the globe to find their new owners. Two are twins (with owners from different countries and one is a non-superfuturian)

swcy15.jpg

Those are both identical 48's and they're measuring pretty much exactly like the measurement chart I posted forthe 48, on the dot. The sleeves laid flat measure about 17, 16, and then taper down to 12cm at the wrist, wdith-wise. The ribbing is more relaxed on these production models, around the waist and wrists. They're turning out very nicely.

I'll try to get some pics of it open (but my girlfriend is leaving for Japan tomorrow so my in-house photgrapher is gone), it's pretty much as you would expect though.

50's and 52's out soon.