Rockabilly

dino might

since theres a thread on the skinhead scene/culture and style i figured there should also be one on the movement i personally consider the best dressed. im surprised i havent come across a thread like this yet with all the repro denim/vintage fanatics here.

thread for rockabilly and general americana entusiasts.

old pictures, favorite rockabilly bands, war time fashion trends, hot rods, flat heads (the cylinder head, not the jeans), pan heads, shovel heads, hardtail choppers, pompadour haircuts, pomade, and 2" cuffs. anything and everything uniquely american. from a time when rock 'n' roll lived up to whats the name implies, to todays die hard entusiasts who remember "how they used to make 'em."

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think i've said it before but i really like bo d...does he count as "rockabilly"??
i dont know if hed qualify for rockabilly exactly, more bluesy id say. but hes got a place in the thread

bo diddley would definitely be considered rhythm & blues or maybe rock n' roll by people interested in such distinctions. for example, rock around the clock as played by bill haley+comets would be considered rock n' roll, bob wills is western swing, and finally only people like gene vincent, etc are really called rockabilly.

between the ages of 12-16 i was really into rockabilly (roots and newer -robert gordon, etc), wore dark jeans (nearly impossible for me to find then) cuffed, doc martin boots and had intense hair. played telecasters and twin reverbs. at some point to be religiously into straight up rockabilly felt too costumey for me i guess and i started listening to X a lot more.

Guest JonasW

I love my brylcreem and engineer boots.

Sweeping my hair back in a pomp, duck's ass, or one big giant curl up front that hangs

down my forehead the way my grandfather did his hair.

• 1 year later...

I know there's others on this forum that are into rockabilly music, or is it just that there's a lot of people that are dressing the fashion but don't listen to the music?

Anybody get into the style of dress from the music?

How about getting into the music then starting to dress more in a vintage style?

Anybody going to Viva Las Vegas?

http://vivalasvegas.net/

Having never "officialy" been on this board prior to now.(Save, people forwarding me threads and comments.) I could not answer that fairly.

However, I do know that people find their interests in differing ways.

Some folks will get introduced to a genre of music, then start dressing in a fashion that is akin to that genre.

Other, will become interested in a particular aesthetic and later discover that it has roots in some sort of music or subculture.

I've been listening to Rockabilly since I was 14 and I can honestly say, that I've been into many differing subcultures/musical genres since then ( Simultaneously ).

The same question could be asked of every kid that has worn or, brand that has used the Misfits "Crimson Ghost" better known as the "Fiend Skull" face on graphics.

Did they get into the Misfits because they recognized the logo, or did someone turn them onto the music?

Are they even into the misfits? Or it it just a recognized pop icon ?

Please note: I'm not trying to champion anything ... Just being objective.

Nor do I claim to be an aficionado.

For many folks, "Rockabilly" is sodapop, pink cadilacs with fins, sock hops, poodle skirts, Elivs and rollerskate drive in's.

For others, it is vintage gabardine pleated pants, spectators, one piece collars, etc...

Personally... Elvis was the Justin Timberlake of the 50's.

To each his own.

Anywhoo... I'll be at Viva. Again

http://www.stack-aly.com/

Welcome to the board..

I've actually been watching your blog for a bit now.

We're getting Rip to play a show at our store in SF in a few months, which reminds me.. i've got to call him about that.

Did you go to the Rockabilly Rave in October?

Thanks for the welcome.

Wow... Crazy. Didn't think anyone except my friends checked my blog out.

Rip puts on a KILLER show. Should be a good time.

Unfortunately, I didn't make it to the Rockabilly Rave this year.

Was in NY with my mom while she had knee replacement surgery.

Should be there next year though.

Been watching the progress of your shop via the intraweb.

Looks Rad!

Hopefully make it up north to see some folks at some point this month.

Will make a point to stop through.

The music got me into the clothes.

In fact, a Rockabilly song pretty much changed the course of my life – for better or worse. In the summer of 1990 I heard Social Distortion’s cover of ‘Ring of Fire’ while sitting on Mick Rush’s trampoline – paradigm shift. (Now, I know that Social D isn’t considered by most a true rockabilly band and ‘Ring of Fire’ isn’t one of Johnny Cash’s rockabilly songs, but that’s where I started – gateway drugs if you will).

Before that moment tattoos were dirty things my dad’s step-dad regrettably got when he was in the marines, Johnny Cash was a silly country singer as well as Les Paul, 501s were stoner jeans and a new Z28 was cool.

Stack-Aly, i've been checking out your blog from time to time since you started it last summer. No idea how i raw into it, i think it was linked from some other RAB site or blog.

Rip puts on an amazing show, yet i haven't seen him live since he was with the Twilight Trio, that was about 8 or 9 years ago now..

VLV has a really good and varied line-up this year.

I'll be there with the entire Flat Head crew (owners and managers) along with the editor and head photographer from Lightning magazine. None of them have ever been to VLV, they're gonna freak when they see how big it is.

• 1 month later...

Anybody going to Viva Las Vegas this coming weekend?

I'm going again this year, this time with the president and managers of Flat Head and the editor of Lightning Magazine.

VLV12! www.vivalasvegas.net

Here's our ad that'll be in the program guide:

Selfedge_Ad_Comp_FInal_150dpi_RED.jpg

Me and the Mrs will be at Viva again, I think we've gone for 10 years in a row now.

I love RAB music, I was really heavily into it during the mid 90s to early 2000s, as it was unofficially the "skinhead retirement plan" back then. (maybe still is?)

Looking forward to seeing the Go Getters again this year. They always put on the best shows.

yea the RAB scene has a lot of sub-tribes within it. Some guys are more into the cars, others are more into the vintage clothes (hepcats), others are into the 50s pop culture aspect, and plenty more just like the image associated with it but arent necessarily as hardcore. The old RAB forums always had arguments of being "more rockabilly than you" which got really tiring since everyone was simultaneously correct in one aspect, and totally full of shit on another.

anyways, Viva will be great, it's our chance to meet up with out of state friends we rarely see otherwise.

yea the RAB scene has a lot of sub-tribes within it. Some guys are more into the cars, others are more into the vintage clothes (hepcats), others are into the 50s pop culture aspect, and plenty more just like the image associated with it but arent necessarily as hardcore. The old RAB forums always had arguments of being "more rockabilly than you" which got really tiring since everyone was simultaneously correct in one aspect, and totally full of shit on another.

This is on of the few reasons why I am glad I grew up in a small town. I was really able to enjoy Rockabilly, music and clothes, without all the rules. I mean, it was me hanging with five heavy-metal guys a gutter punk and a few hippies -- no one was calling bullshit on my authenticity -- it was mostly just calling a lot of bullshit in general. In fact, I think the Rockabilly Rulebook really turns a lot of people off to the scene. But, maybe it also keeps it from blowing up like Pop-Punk and Grunge.

• 2 weeks later...
Kiya, any photos form VLV 12? How was the weekend?

Here are some photos from the car show that was on that Saturday:

Mr. Kobayashi (aka Mr. Flat Head) at Viva Las Vegas

3469734078_2a6cafcf55.jpg

Fat Daddy's Ice Cream Truck at Viva Las Vegas

3468916787_c00f9229f0.jpg

Viva Las Vegas is not complete without a huge Tiki...

...which they sell beer out of.

3468913181_6f66d91b99.jpg

One of my favorites.

3468909831_526a3d5484.jpg

More at Viva Las Vegas

3469718508_be39b45da7.jpg

Flat Head x Self Edge x RJB x Lightning

Kobayashi (Real Japan Blues)

Me (Self Edge)

Kobayashi (Flat Head)

Koike (Lightning Magazine)

3463215690_11fba8371e.jpg

• 5 months later...

Any other Deke fans?

Shit, i'm with him right now in Vegas at the Rockabilly Rave: http://www.rockabillyraveusa.com/

Just did a yoyo act during his encore with the band, good times, super geeky nerdabilly.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

To answer one of Kiya’s earlier posts, from the music emerged my interest into the lifestyle.

I first gained interest in the music sometime in the mid-eighties. My brother played a lot of Doo Wop back then. When I grew older I began to listen to your typical mainstream 1950’s Rock N Roll (Billy Haley, Eddie Cochoran, etc.). Then began my interest in old 40’s/50’s movies, via the AMC channel. Subconsciously, I began to learn what the guys were wearing back in those days through film and so I started buying vintage clothing back in the early 90’s. I bought what I thought was vintage 50’s, but later realized it some were actually early 60’s stuff. I got better over the years and have now been collecting clothes for almost twenty years.

I went through the obligatory Social Distortion tough-guy Rock phase back in the early 90’s. I was almost plummeted to death at one of their gigs at the Hollywood Paladium. I’ll throw on some Social D every now and then while at the gym.

Back in the early 90’s there weren’t many venues for Rockabilly in SoCal. One of the well known places was The Palamino (near Universal Studios). That’s where I was first introduced to Big Sandy and the Fly Rite Trio, Russel Scott and his Red Hots and many others. There were other places like Linda’s Doll Hut in Orange County and other places who’s names I forget. The Palamino is where my eyes were really open to vintage clothing. There I was, a young 18 year old hanging around the older cats wearing their vintage gabardine and some in their vintage denim. My research into the clothing went into overdrive.

My interest in all things vintage has shifted through the years, but has kept well within the 40’s and 50’s. I’m talking from vintage 50’s Rock N Roll “Cat” Clothes, to 40’s/50’s Western to vintage 40’s/50’s motorcycle wear (I have an affinity for vintage Engineer Boots as is evident on my blog). I am now starting to learn about vintage 20’s 30’s Workwear.

I’ve always wanted to join up with a band as a guitar player, but work consumes the majority of my time. Maybe someday I’ll rock out my Gretsch guitars on stage…