Am i the only one getting the full screen ads popping up regularily?

breakfasteatre

Quote: the owners of the site are just to get some $, hence the full page ad and all the random ads you see at the bottom of the window
Yes, because running this forum is completely 100% FREE and costs NOTHING! They're just raking in pure profit!

It doesnt matter what browser your using, its a redirect that seems to be completely random. I dont have a problem with it, they need to get their ends somehow and Id like to see this site continue.

Whoa, easy there. I didn't say that running this forum is free or that they are raking in crazy amounts of money; they are just trying to generate some money to keep the site going and minimize their costs, I understand that and appreciate their interest in keeping this forum going. I just think its a little strange that they would be advertising Pet Medication and ITT Technical Institute on a forum like this. If they really wanted some funds from the ads, it would be better to advertise things that are pertinent to the contents of this site so that people would actually click on them.

yea i been getting em too, its damn annoying! but like someone else had send, it was bound to happen... its going to be the fall of superfuture! haha

also, its funny how i see abercrombie and true religion jeans links at the bottom of the page, when they are things a lot of people here loathe

Edited by baldy on Jan 12, 2006 at 02:22 PM

yes... we've been researching a few 'discreet' advertising options... after all, more revenue means more improvements to the site...[to pay for upgrading supertalk to vbulletin for starters...] and no-one can argue against that. HOWEVER we didn't realize people were getting full page ads of CRAP?! ... i never saw one! SORRY ABOUT THAT!... that's definitely not what we intended--- so for now we've switched to another option... though i'm not yet convinced any of this type of advertising is going to work anyway...

yes... we've been researching a few 'discreet' advertising options... after all, more revenue means more improvements to the site...[to pay for upgrading supertalk to vbulletin for starters...] and no-one can argue against that. HOWEVER we didn't realize people were getting full page ads of CRAP?! ... i never saw one! SORRY ABOUT THAT!... that's definitely not what we intended--- so for now we've switched to another option... though i'm not yet convinced any of this type of advertising is going to work anyway...

superfuture1

http://superfuture.com

Quote:

how often were people getting these? once a day or more?-- just on login? or from page to page...? im on powerbook g4 running safari and never saw one...

--- Original message by wayne on Jan 12, 2006 03:36 PM

happens once a day for me (or thereabouts) -- really weird, it seems to be some sort of Javascript overlay, because it happens while I'm reading a page, and then I'll click "continue to superfuture" and it disappears instantly -- it doesn't reload the supertalk page, just takes me straight to it... weird...

btw wayne, http://www.punbb.org is free, and works pretty well....

Edited by minya on Jan 12, 2006 at 04:09 PM

I've gotten the full page "intermercial" ads about 3-5 times in the last 10 days, and it was both while clicking on a topic and also moving from page to page within a topic.

It definitely makes sense to have some form of advertising to help with costs, although the "relavent" ads you would most likely get from the major ad networks won't appeal to most of the readers ... at best you'd get an ad for popular crap that is being badmouthed in a forum. If you could find/join some net savy apparel boutiques' affiliate programs (maybe through cj.com/befree.com where you can chose what advertisers you show etc.). It's more involved, but that might convert better than the shotgun ad network approach. imo an advertising marketplace like adbrite is not the greatest solution for a niche "publisher" like supertalk.