G Star Raw Denim

Parker669

I went shopping the other day for my first pair of raw denim, and tryed on a couple of different pairs. I ended up purchasing a pair of G Star Raw's mainly because the cut fit me really well...(they're really slim), and compared to the apc new standards I had put on in the store previous, they were a much better cut. However, they are fairly lightweight denim, and I am wondering if the quality is there or not. I am not too familiar with G Star so I really don't know. Any input is appreciatted..

Quote:

g star to me is a weird brand. they just showed up out of nowhere and started churning out tons of stuff.

in terms of what i own, the stuff is pretty decent quality, pretty good design so you should be alright.

--- Original message by nairb49 on Jan 7, 2006 12:19 AM

I believe G-Star has been around since the early 90s, but limited to Scandinavia. They're a Dutch brand.

Quote:

I believe G-Star has been around since the early 90s, but limited to Scandinavia. They're a Dutch brand.

--- Original message by minya on Jan 7, 2006 12:31 AM

True. They started out as Gap Star, but changed their because of a lawsuit with The Gap if I recall correctly.

I associate G-Star with mid nineties middle-of-the-road boring as hell looks. Back then brands like W & LT, Daniel Poole and SO by Alexander vd Slobbe were on point. Still, a good pair of jeans is a good pair of jeans (do they still make jeans?).

Reporter: "What do you think about western civilization?"

Gandhi: "I think it would be a good idea."

Edited by Tisswat on Jan 7, 2006 at 06:45 AM

yeah they have a wide selection of jeans. few raw mostly washed , i dont pay much attention to it @ work but it seems to me most of their cuts are loose cuts, your typical g star customer will wonder too g-star then diesel which are convenietly located next to each other...

^ Yup I always find G-star stores to be located in the vicinity of Diesel ones.

I think their signature is raw, dark loosely worn straight leg denim. Well I owned a pair myself (ruger low) and they are exactly like that. fit feels a lot like evisu too (loose fit).

Getsuga Tenshou

in montreal they've almost taken over, they're everywhere and the product line carried by stores is almost always bigger than diesel.

personally i'm not a fan, didn't know them in the 90s, but they don't make a "normal" jean anymore, every cut has some kind of weird belt loop or super huge back pockets or something.

nairb49

G-Star must have some weird distribution going on, this is like the blind men and the elephant.

G-Star makes a full line of cuts, washes and detailing (and lack thereof), they are definitely playing to the same customer as Diesel. They are located near each other here, too, and are usually carried by the same stores. The department stores and independents often have different stuff than the company stores.

I used to wear a fair amount of G-Star because they had slim cuts when few other companies did. They still have slim cuts as well as everything else already mentioned.

ask a cassowary

I just bought a pair of the same Core Classic jeans Parker669 posted, slim straight cut, really nice non-selvedge denim. I think a lot of people on SF have some preconceptions about G-Star and they've never bothered to actually check out their products for themselves. Sure, they make loads of ugly crap I'd never wear, but they always seem to have a really well made and designed basic jean like this as well.

Edited by arem on Jan 7, 2006 at 07:09 PM

I bought a pair of G star raw Deck Pants when I worked in retail in the late 90's - they've been discontinued now but at the time they where considered one of the best cuts out. Denim was very high quality but I just got bored of the fit. Would sell them if someone made me a serious offer. Still very dark and washed perhaps 4 times in 9 years.

At the time I knew someone fairly high up in G star management, and it was interesting hearing how the explosion in demand took them all by surprise - they literally went from shifting 30,000 units one year to

300, 000 the next. These days it has become a boring diesel clone IMO and although I'm sure the denim is still top quality, if I wanted to pursue that type of look, I'd go for Atelier La Durance without a second thought.

• 2 years later...

i just bought g-star grand denim track wash amazing jeans but it feels kinda lightweight...i hope it doesnt rip or anything!

now i want a ruger straight leg dark pre-washed jeans, they looked amazing in person but didnt have my size...thats next and the final g-star jeans ill get.

however i do like their t-shirt/jacket fittings, it fits awesomely.

Whoa… talk about grave digging…

G Star used to be known as Gap Star, till they got sued and became G Star, which in turn actually helped them become an international success. I can't stand their jeans, 'cause the denim sucks giant monkey nuts, but they still make incredible clothes. They always find a way to implement denim in a unexpected silhouette.

Anyway, Ezekiel, I hope you manage to get your hands on some nice repro denim before you spend all your money on G Star. They probably don't need anymore help to stay in business. You can browse through this forum and see that there are many choices out there.

well it was just that caught my eye.

so people were saying it sucks (cuz of a rip-off of diesel?) and the poor quality? why? does it rip easy or it feels lightweight?

and yeah i know theres other choices but im looking for pre-washed jeans under 300 and i alreayd have a raw one, its a nudie RRDS going in 3 months now, 3 more months i wash it.

what other pre-washed jeans do u recommend? im currently looking at PSPR (sp?)

they look great but however too expensive for me atm.

Don't buy PRPS pre-wash. Too expensive for what you get. I have 1 pair and somewhat regret it (though the zimbabwean cotton is pretty nice and so is the colour, but there are more jeans like that). Just invest in some really nice raw-denim and let the jeans reflect your way of living. There are still many top-quality japanese brands that cost less then 300, and then there is always the supermarket on this forum, where you can find many brandnew pairs for less money. Good luck. (+ I would reccomend to read more instead of posting, because it's definitly not good for your rep, I also learned this the hard way...)

well my next raw denim jeans will be imperial kings indigo ones. since i dont like the dukes since they are slim fit, i like the regular straight legged fit.

but all i need to own is 5-6 jeans really, i dont need to own more then that.

2 g-stars, 2 raw denim jeans (nudie and imperial) and i guess the last one should be diesel? meh.

im not a denim fanatic. just mostly what in eed to wear different 7 times a week, that could count 7-10 t-shirts, 3-4 hoodie/track jackets, 2 jackets, 4-5 shirts. etc u get the point.

im starting to be become aware that this board loves raw denim.

like i said the next pair ill be buying is imperial kings. since they are regular straight legged correct?

and i just happen to like pre-washed jeans i dont know i just do, i guess its personal preference.

so to the guy that said no to diesel, which pre-washed jeans should i get thats under 300? i only need to own 2 raw ones, nudie and imperial. like i said im not a jean fanatic just need total of 5 pairs.