Trip to London next week - help me plan?

cchen

Hey guys,

I'm visiting London next week with my family. I'll be staying in the Hyde Park area for a total of 5 days, 4 nights. I'm wondering if you have any suggestions on what the best tourist attractions are, what else I can see in London, and maybe help me make an agenda for those who live in London. Thanks in advance!!

depends what you are into ... a hidden gem is the champagne bar at the top of tower 42 (www.vertigo42.co.uk), you have to book in advance but if you go around dusk you get great views of London - better than the rotten old London Eye

The Jack the Ripper tours are supposed to be great as well ... they leave from the Tower of London (dunno times etc) - the Tower is worth a look too ...

1.carnaby street

(explore all the little side streets)

2.covent garden

( out the station turn left, cross the road and go throught the little alley way. good place for food is belgo, for mussels and the chicken on the lunch menu)

3.walk from tower bride (south of river) along the river past london bridge to waterloo to the london eye

(design museum @tower bridge, borough market @ london bridge)

4. fabric in farringdon.

What are the most touristy things? I know my mom and brother will want to see those, probably two days worth?

The most touristy things are to go to Buckingham Palace and watch the changing of the guard. I believe its at 11 AM daily. Visit the museums, my personal favorites are the British Museum, which has the Rosetta Stone, and the Tate Britian. If you're up for climbing a lot of stair, go to the top of St. Pauls cathedral; I think it's around 500 some stairs, awesome views of the city. Go inside Westminister Abby, its pretty cool. The tower of London is also very touristy, but I found it a little boring. It sort of reminded me of Colonial Williamsburg in Virginia if you've been there.

Definitely go on a walking tour. They last anywhere from 1-2 hours and there are a myriad to choose from. They take you to a bunch of landmarks depending on what interest you. I went on a Beatles Walk, a pub walk along Thames, and the Jack the Ripper Walk and personally what determines if a walk will be good or not is who you get as your guide.

As far as markets, go to Camden and Portobello.

Edited by IMJoeJ on Jan 8, 2006 at 12:35 AM

Go to the Tate Modern if you are into Contemporary Art. Wicked place IMHO. Take your whole fam with you.

Try and take the tube as LESS often as you can and perhaps go for buses because you see less of the city (on the tube) and you'll be suprised how fast you can get from one place to the next above ground. Plus you get to see all the nice old things too.

Avoid shopping on Oxford Street on a Saturday and go to Spitalfields and Brick Lane on a Sunday.

Don't get off at Covent Garden Tube Station on weekends (small station and lotsa people)..... get off at nearby Leicester Square station and walk.

I'm just B

From Heathrow to my hotel in Hyde Park should I take that express train to Paddington Station?? Are there any other cheaper options that won't have complicated directions?

Also, my flight arrives at 9 am and after settling in the hotel and such I believe it should be around noon. What would make good use of the first day? Walking tour + ??

Edited by cchen on Jan 9, 2006 at 03:18 AM

you could take the express, but i don't reckon it's much faster than taking the underground - and it's four/five times the price. the piccadilly line will take you straight to hyde park corner (if it's running - check tfl.gov.uk - there have been engineering works around heathrow for the past while and it's all a bit messed up).

First day, go to the Tower of London, cross over Tower Bridge and walk east along the river (south side) - you'll go past Shakespeare's Globe, the Tate Modern, the London Eye, you'll see St Pauls on the other side and eventually get to where you can see Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament ... it's a nice walk if the weather is ok

From Parliament you can walk up the Mall to Traf Square and then up into Covent Garden and all the shops etc and grab some dinner

You may wanna buy and A to Z - a map of all the London streets. In fact, I'd say it's essential

Thank you, Cue.

Day 1 : Do as Cue suggested. Will not go in tower of london

Day 2 : Tower of London. Westminister Abbey and changing of the guard. Museums and walking tour??

Day 3 : Suggestions??

Day 4 : Museums / galleries / shopping

How does this sound? And suggesotins for day 3?

Oh, and the weather seems like it'll be rainy my entire stay icon_smile_sad.gif Do I need my winter peacoat, or should I bring a lighter jacket since I will be walking around a lot??

Thanks so much for your help guys!