Nudie RRDS owners - request

triniboy27

Hi all,

This might be a somewhat strange request, but I was wondering if anyone is planning to have their RRDS jeans hemmed or alternatively, have had them hemmed and kept the extra material?

Against my better judgement, I had my own RRDS hemmed and now they're about an inch shorter than I'd like. If I could get about 2 inches of fabric, I'd have that added to the hem and they'd be perfect.

If anyone could help me out, I'd really appreciate it - and I'd obviously cover any mailing costs, etc.

PM me if you can help.

Thanks in advance!

As a last resort I used the fabric from behind the backpockets to put behind holes I wanted to patch. It takes some ingenious hand-sewing to fill up the holes below the pocket fabric so that you can use the pockets normaly again.

Natrually you do feel this on the inside of your jeans a bit, and with further wearing it might even show through on the outside faded in the pocket aswell, which is actually quite cool...

For me this is only worth the trouble when you want to patch the piece of fabric on top of the hole or if ot would be highly visible trough the hole. Normaly I only patch with pieces cut out of other jeans, naturally no sevage or even ringring ones but ones with similar feel and fading, true it takes a bit of a collection to be able to find a fitting swatch for a specific pair of jeans.

For lenthening your jeans this all it pretty useless, it only works for smaller quantities of fabric. I am very curious a s to how you would have the bottom unhemmed and lenthened, to me this seams rather hard to do without looking... uhm, off!?!? Unless the jeans are still unwashed and not yet really faded in a lot.

And I do indeed always keep the jeans fabric I cut off when I shorten jeans from my friends just in case, sadly I have not yet worked on or with the kind of fabric you are looking for.

Post how it workes out with a picture if possible, I am interested in how it turnes out!

PS, just realized, taking out the hem completely might lengthen your jeans to an acceptable lenght and would not look all to weird if you pressed the folds out (no steam though!!) and the jeans are not worn in already to much.

There was a dude on MyNudies who tried stretching his jeans back to the right legnth after a wash by attaching weights to the waistband and clamping them. They ended up stretching around 4 or 5 cm. Im not sure how it would work since youve already washed them and let them shrink, but its always an option as a last resort.

Good luck dude

I'm hesitant to post this for fear I might give you false promises. But I have hemmed my RRDS but I'm holding on to it because it might shrink more than I wanted after I wash them in 2-3 months and I'll be needing the extra cloth. If ever it turns out well, I'll give you a holler.

• 3 weeks later...
Quote:

when you go tthem hemmed did you get the original hem?

--- Original message by nappyhead jenkins on Jan 27, 2006 09:44 AM

To be honest, because the back of the jeans were pretty worn, there wasn't a lot of the original hem left...so if you can picture it, there was 2/3 of the hem left, circumference-wise, most in the front.

But i sorta of solved my problem...i unpicked the new hem and gained about an inch or so..and i also ended up having them tapered to a straight leg, which meant more bunching where they meet the shoe, as opposed to them just sort of floating over the shoe when it was a bootcut...

my reg ralfs have essentially become irregular..i'll post pics when i get home if anyone's interested..(or not)

Edited by triniboy27 on Jan 27, 2006 at 11:21 AM

Hey all,

Sorry for the delay but here are the pics:

Front:

muhncl.jpg

Side:

muhnkl.jpg

Back:

muhnr4.jpg

My only complaint is that there's a bit of bulge near the knee (most visible in the side view) but i think that's primarily because of the honeycombing/creasing that was already behind the knee prior to the alteration..

If anyone has any questions, holla.

looks like you took them in on the outside? Looks like a good job was done. I found a pair of unworn diesels a couple months ago at a consignment store for $22 and I fixed them the same way. (took out the bootcut and let out the hems to get some length) The only problem with them is a really pronounced wear line about 1" above the bottom.

The only thing I might suggest you do is press the outside seam flat by ironing it on the inside of the jean so that they don't "dip in" (or whatever the technical term for that would be) where both outside surfaces of the cloth are sewed together. Right now I can tell that you started taking them in around 3" below where your wallet cord is hanging. It would probably go away with time, but you'd probably get more definition in the creases and wear along the seam if you did this. Mind you, 99.5% of the people out there wouldn't notice something like this, and I likely wouldn't either if I wasn't looking closely after being told you'd done it.